• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Opions on .243 85 gr.HPBT Sierra Gameking

Re: Opions on .243 85 gr.HPBT Sierra Gameking

I have used that bullet in my 6MM from time to time and I have got great accuracy from it, used mine mostly on smaller game but I would think it would be a good bullet for deer.

I just started using it in my .243 with 28-inch barrel (at 3175 fps). Very accurate to 300 yds when bullets are sorted by weight. Have killed a couple of deer, but they both were head shots so cant comment on wound channels. Did shoot a bobcat at close range (50 yds) with dissappointed results. Bullet hit a rib and exploded back out the same side making a 2-inch "entry" hole and no exit wound. Cat dropped in tracks and died instantly -- much damaged internally from either bullet and/or bone fragments. So, I am a bit apprehensible about its performance on deer at various ranges.

Have used the 100 grain version some, it was ok, but prefer the 85gr Barnes TSX. Awesome boolit, thru and thru on large axis deer, quartering towards me, not likely from most other 85gr stuff. YMMV, find it hard not to like the several brandsand types of solid expanding bullets out there these days, Barnes is just one.

In my hunting guns (for the mose part) I have moved to the TSX.
.243 with 85TSX and the 6mmAR with the 80gr TTSX. IMO, for the difference in price, its not worth messing with anything else.
On the down side,I do find good loads harder to find with the TSX.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

I have a ruger M77. It hates anything less than the 100 gr. anything. 100 gr. psp with 29.5 gr of 4064 gets me .331" at 100 yds for 5 rounds. I know I can get more speed but I can't argue with the accuracy. Best I could do with 85 a max bullets is justy over 1"

S4020896.jpg

NEF Superlight 243 Youth 85 gr Gamekings. 110 Yards

Blew through very top of both shoulders of this big doe and exited leaving a 2" exit wound. This is the only 243 rifle I own but it is the only 243 round I'll use also.

Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Combat Commander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 85 gr.HPBT Sierra Gameking is it a good bullet for Deer out to 200 yards? </div></div>
Yes, it's a good bullet.

I have only a little experience with 80 gr pills on whitetails from the early 90's. They will kill, but I quit looking when I shot the first whitetail with 100gr. Sierra Gameking Spitzer boat tails (have equal results with Hornady boat tail spire points.). Load em' over 2950fps and if they shoot for your gun you will find no better 0-500yd 243 deer killer. I have taken over 20+ deer with my 243 over the years with this bullet I am sure.
Good hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Combat Commander</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243 85 gr.HPBT Sierra Gameking is it a good bullet for Deer out to 200 yards? </div></div>
Yes, it's a good bullet.
</div></div>

+1, we shoot deer with them all the time without issue. As usual, bullet placement is important.

If I had to pick one 6mm pill for shooting deer, that is the one bullet I would use. I've shot close to 30 deer with it and watched my granddad shoot more than a dozen after his shoulder went out and I gave him my 243 and my handloads. They were consistant across the board, close to half were stuck in the offside hide with 85% or so weight left and double or more expansion. It does it's job and dumps it's energy where it belongs, in the animal.
Im speaking of the boat tail hp gameking, not sure if there's flat base spire point ext.. Plus they have all shot very well.