• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Advice

Mitu

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Hello all, just getting into longer range shooting (mostly have done carbine work between 100 and 300 yards). I’ll be using this setup to take a couple of training classes as well.

Platform: LMT MWS with 16” SS LW Barrel
Caliber: 308
Typical shooting conditions: In North Texas, so bright and hot
Typical distances: totally new to this, but would like to ping steel between 500 and 800 yards and shoot for groups at 100 yards
Price range: Trying to keep it under $2500

Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 is another great option that isn't far from the Cronus in glass quality, very, very good optics. They are both known to be as reliable as most dialing scopes concerning tracking/return to zero. I haven't owned mine long enough to give much eval in that regard, but so far so good. Optically, I can say they are both very, very nice for the money.

Reactions: Mitu
Your budget leaves you a lot of alternatives. Trying to pick the exact scope that is best for you may also involve more specifics about it's use. At $2500. your choices are almost endless. There is Vortex RZ II, S&B PMII used, Minolta ZP5 used, NF ATACR used and the new Leica PRS. There are some newer companies offering some really high value scopes like TracToric and the Athlon Cronus. You can take a step down to the $1000. range and look at the SWFA SS5-20 used and the Vortex Razor I.

Read everything here by wjm308, Ilya, BigJimFish and HMFIC LowLight. You've been around here for awhile and may already be familiar with these guys and over the last couple of years a few more have been posting that show a significant degree of knowledge and produce excellent reviews.

Some things to look for are long warranties and US Service Depts., lots of elevation, ease of use, longevity of the company, at least 30mm tube diameter, European or Japanese sourced, etc. You can buy in the 3-18 range on a lot of the product which will allow you to get to your mentioned distances but I would suggest you consider the 4-20 or 5-30 ranges. Should you get hooked on the LR stuff you're gonna probably want to get out further, change cartridges and switch to a bolt gun. The higher mag range will get you to a mile with ease.

If you are already familiar with what I have posted than I apologize for taking your time. If not, I have a couple of suggestions. At $2500. you are only about $800. away from a used ZCO 5-27. Because of a new reticle, mostly, there have been some available in the PX at modest discounts. They are absolutely rated as Tier 1. If you have not already settled on something than buy a placeholder so you can get started. My recommendation is a used SWFA SS 5-20X50HD. If you can buy one used for S800.-950., in good condition to as new, you would be hard pressed to lose a hundred bucks on re-sale. They have good glass and super longevity and mechanics. It will allow you to get started.

Your budget leaves you a lot of alternatives. Trying to pick the exact scope that is best for you may also involve more specifics about it's use. At $2500. your choices are almost endless. There is Vortex RZ II, S&B PMII used, Minolta ZP5 used, NF ATACR used and the new Leica PRS. There are some newer companies offering some really high value scopes like TracToric and the Athlon Cronus. You can take a step down to the $1000. range and look at the SWFA SS5-20 used and the Vortex Razor I.

Read everything here by wjm308, Ilya, BigJimFish and HMFIC LowLight. You've been around here for awhile and may already be familiar with these guys and over the last couple of years a few more have been posting that show a significant degree of knowledge and produce excellent reviews.

Some things to look for are long warranties and US Service Depts., lots of elevation, ease of use, longevity of the company, at least 30mm tube diameter, European or Japanese sourced, etc. You can buy in the 3-18 range on a lot of the product which will allow you to get to your mentioned distances but I would suggest you consider the 4-20 or 5-30 ranges. Should you get hooked on the LR stuff you're gonna probably want to get out further, change cartridges and switch to a bolt gun. The higher mag range will get you to a mile with ease.

If you are already familiar with what I have posted than I apologize for taking your time. If not, I have a couple of suggestions. At $2500. you are only about $800. away from a used ZCO 5-27. Because of a new reticle, mostly, there have been some available in the PX at modest discounts. They are absolutely rated as Tier 1. If you have not already settled on something than buy a placeholder so you can get started. My recommendation is a used SWFA SS 5-20X50HD. If you can buy one used for S800.-950., in good condition to as new, you would be hard pressed to lose a hundred bucks on re-sale. They have good glass and super longevity and mechanics. It will allow you to get started.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I’ve been on these forums for a bit but just getting into precision shooting now. I’m really looking for an optic that’s super rugged and durable, which is why I’m attracted to the ATACR line and the PM products from S&B. I’m a big fan of “buy once, cry once”, but the more I learn and read, I’m realizing that may not entirely apply to optics. Seems like a lot of folks need to get behind a couple of optics before they land on what they really like, in terms of magnification, features (turret design, etc.), and reticles.

Another vote for the DMR2 Pro. I've been super happy with mine, and the quality of the optic is far better than the price would make a lot of people think.

I’m a big fan of “buy once, cry once”, but the more I learn and read, I’m realizing that may not entirely apply to optics. Seems like a lot of folks need to get behind a couple of optics before they land on what they really like, in terms of magnification, features (turret design, etc.), and reticles.

Honestly, it pretty much does apply to optics. However, a lot depends on the regimes you'll be using it in. If you're only shooting out to 800 yards, you don't need a higher mag scope (a ~3-18 would be fine). This gets you a little more headroom for better glass.

I count glass quality as one of most important attributes of a scope.

EXAMPLE: This past weekend, I needed to put about 30 rounds through my old 300 PRC. I had taken the Steiner off of it for my new 300 PRC. I put an old Vortex PST Gen II onto it and took it to the local range. After putting 20 rounds through the new rifle/Steiner, I shot the PST. About 2/3 through my rounds, my eyes started going buggy.

Get the best glass you can afford.

Reactions: 308pirate
Concur on go for used PMII, ATACR, or ZCO. Used will not only get you into that next level optic, but also means if you decide to change later (brand, reticle, etc... optics are very personal/subjective choices), you’re likely to break even.

Me... I’d look for used S&B 3-20 Ultra Short for that rifle. (I like Schmidts) ...or 4-20 ZCO. Their footprint (and zoom) is more commensurate with your needs.

just to be different, you might look at Leupold Mark 5HD depending on if you have a preference on reticles, and especially if you can qualify for LE/MIL discounts.

I would also consider the size/weight aspect of the optic since it’s going on a compact rifle. I really like 3-18 lightweight options for your setup and intended use. A huge scope on a 16in LMT can turn the rifle into a (very accurate) boat anchor. The Leupold Mark 5/6 as mentioned are great options.

At that price I would Look at Nightforce and the Leupold Mark 5. Havent checked out ZCO yet but heard good things (although they are more)

Is there any reason why you're not considering a bolt action rifle as your first LR rifle? Doing so will make your learning curve shallower.

I have the same gun and have used a Bushnell DMR 2 Pro and Leupold MK5 3.6-18 on it. Both are great scopes. I like the 3-20ish mag range for a gas gun. I upgraded to the MK5 because I wanted an illuminated reticle and to cut some weight.

Reactions: theLBC
The SWFA 5-20 Hd is a good scope for the money. It can be had for $950 during the Black Friday sale. Parallax and Mag rings are stiff but I like the scope for the price point. The Leupold 3-18 mark 5 would be a great option.....definitely more money but compact and light. Nightforce NX8 2.5-20 would fit the bill also. I have each of these scopes and all are nice......I would go with the Lup or NX8 if the $ allows for it.