• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Optic Choice for LMT 16" .308

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
So, I could not pass up LMT's Memorial Day Sale on their .308 rifles, and bought the 16" model.

What optics would you recommend?

What's your budget? Shooting distance? Targets?

Several ways to go. LPVO, I would say XTR II 1-8. For more mag, PST2 3-15, MK5 3.6-18, LRTS, DMR 2, or NF 4-16. They should all work well and still look sexy on top of that beast. I run a 3-18 Razor on my MWS. It's a lil top heavy so I'm considering a switch to one of the scopes I mentioned.

Reactions: Potss
I’ve got the ATACR F1 4-16 on my 16” .308.

I think that the combination of size, weight and mag range is a pretty good match to the rifle.

Mine has the MIL-R reticle because that is what was available when I bought it, but the MIL-XT looks pretty interesting.

I originally had a USO 1-8X mounted on the MWS, but the rifle is kind of a heavy pig for run and gun, particularly with a can mounted.

Depends on what you’re shooting at what range. My used NF NXS F1 in the EE is a perfect match for an all purpose rifle. (Not joking)

But we really need the application before a worthwhile recommendation can be made.

Reactions: deersniper
Something in the 3-18 range comes to mind, I have a Gen 2 Razor on my 18 inch AR-10 and a ACOG on the 16 inch. No budget? 4-14 ATACR or Premier 3-15...

Its a beast of a rifle weight wise.

I had a S&B 5-25 on mine and the thing was a pig.

I put it on a diet and it wears a USO 1-8 now.

I guess I drive mine sucky because I was never happy with the groups but it is a good practical 1-2 inch gun for having fun on bigger than 1 MOA targets.

Lots of quality fixed 10 and LPVO maxing out at 10X in the PX that would work well.

Its a beast of a rifle weight wise.

Lots of quality fixed 10 and LPVO maxing out at 10X in the PX that would work well.

Not to mention swfa is selling their fixed power optics for $50 off plus goodies and the 3-15 for $500. Durability that matches that of the mws.

So, I could not pass up LMT's Memorial Day Sale on their .308 rifles, and bought the 16" model.

Sounds like someone needs to buy my extra Mk6 3-18 Horus with low profile turret upgrade and piggy back an Aimpoint T1 on it.

More details:

My maximum distance (most of the time - 85% of the time) will be 400 yards.

I do also have access to a much longer rifle range, it runs out to 2500 yards.

Yup, you suck, not the rifle.

Here's what a 13.5" barreled LMT .308 can do in more capable hands.

Yep, it shoots great for what it is but it's not a bolt gun.
I'll have to check the video later.

Last edited:
This is the best playground I have had my "heavy" configured LMT at...

PA136000.JPG

The Mil updated the Ivans to the colors of the rainbow to reflect their diversity...

Its the environment where the semi auto excels.

Those Ivans dont hide that much, plenty of target exposed.

Its almost too easy with a bolt gun and with the LMT you can speed through them, less a matter of where you hit just can you hit it.

They drop pretty good and 10x wouldnt limit the rifle at all while not taking on weight.

Try your 8X on it and see if you can save some money.

Wow...that's very cool. Your own private range? Or....does it belong to Uncle Sugar?

AWESOME

Tell me about your optic and the rifle you used, etc. etc. Details man, details.

Yep, it shoots great for what it is but it's not a bolt gun.
I'll have to check the video later.

"It's not a bolt gun...."

Let me share my experiences with "bolt guns" and AR-10s, etc.

I have owned several super high quality "bolt guns" ... my first was an ACIS, purchased from a guy who had it dead-nuts zeroed at 100. I verified zero and my spotter and I both saw the SMKs go into nearly the same hole, over and over, ten times in a row. Yup, accurate.

I put my own precision AR-15, match grade barrel, BCM Lower and Upper, Geissele trigger, excellent precision stock and using, again, Federal SMK Gold Match....results at 100? Only a small bit larger group at 100, but still no more than 1/2 inch at 100.

I took it out to 750 yards and was able to get the steel torso target swinging as I put round after round on it.

So....all due respect...much depends on the Indian, once he has a nice bow and arrow.

cheers.

Wow...that's very cool. Your own private range? Or....does it belong to Uncle Sugar?

AWESOME

Tell me about your optic and the rifle you used, etc. etc. Details man, details.

Thats our tax money at work.

Shooting club I belong to gets access twice a month (1 rifle, 1 pistol range)

This was some sub 20s March shooting

Rifle above is an LMT MWS heavy with S&B H2CMR 5-25X PMII. 16 inch CL barrel

The rifle knocked down the Ivans at furthest range no problem.

The rifle now sports a USO 1-8X that I have yet to zero.

Changed my philosophy on ARs.

Little bullets need no more than 4X and bigger bullets need no more than 10X.

I bought at TA33 for the LMT MRP and took the 1-8 off that moving it up to the LMT MWS.

Now I have a spare S&B that needs a receiver.

All due respect your one hole shooting indicates you need not worry what you put on your rifle, you will hit.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I also sprung for one, and I am trying to figure out what to stick on it. Honestly, it may get a 1-6 Razor or a TA11.

Buy my S&B Ultra Short ;)

I would personally go with a NF 4-16 if it were me, but one of the 1-8's may be more than enough for you.

Made my decision, motivated by a great sale via Optics Planet:

NF 2.5-10x24 NXS it is!

I think that will serve you well and not add weight unneccesarily.

Ill have to look at the sale.

My heart desires a Mk12 Mod 0 and I think that would be perfect glass.

The 24 may not catch waning light but most of my shooting is in bright sunshine so Id be good to go.

Reactions: Centuriator
$1600, shipped, from OpticsPlanet.

Sweet.

Too rich for me right now though.

Paid for a build last week.

Had put an "Ill take it" on a Pre War Model 70 receiver here that the seller thought was 30-06 but when he dug it out after years of storage found it to be some short action caliber bolt face.

Was looking forward to a nice modern build of a retro receiver but Im kind of glad the money came back to pay off toys already bought.

Saturday is for buying a new Stihl string trimmer to replace the 20 year old one that finally had the carb give up the ghost due to ethanol and bad storage practices.

Congrats on the MWS an 2-10x24 at good deals. I have a 2-10x32 and it suits the rifle well.

That 2.5-10x24 will do just dandy under legal light. I have a quick detach 200 lumen surefire I slap on for piggies at night.

Reactions: Centuriator
Thanks guys, I've been trying to find the "sweet spot" for me with longer ranges and magnified optics and after going through a number of various calibers, rifles and optics, I think I found it.

Thanks for input and advice. As always, much appreciated.

lol I have a 2.5-10x24 on my Recce and I never thought to suggest it because people always complain about the eye box and no parallax. I love it!

Finally got the LMT out to zero the new to it USO 1-8X....

lmt.jpg

Thought things were going swimmingly. Took a shot, looked through the scope, nudge allen wrench in Erek as appropriate to have crosshairs line up on shot. 2 minute windage was kind of limiting but I dicked around until I felt I was getting as zeroed as my groups would prove.

Than I looked at the Erek and saw it was no longer reading zero.

Forgot that part about holding the Erek turret while adjusting screw. Should have reread the directions.

Not a very successful day ....

lmt1.jpg

Ill need another session of nudging the allen to get it right.

Depends on what you want the rifle to do. I'm running a 1-8x ATACR on my 16" SR25 ACC, which serves as a dual-role carbine. My 16" MWS is more precision oriented and I'm running a 3.6-18x Mark 5HD CCH (lightweight, compact, excellent focal range).

eUFKit.jpg