• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Failures

This was from a few years back. Sent it to the repair center in Va. and had it back in a few weeks.
Understood. My point was that any trip to any factory location, particularly on a new scope is a PITA.......:)

From what I have read, S und B do an exemplary job of cleaning up/fixing things. But, they are known for the "grease spot" thingie.

Reactions: drglock
What all have you seen?
Broken lens? Loss of tracking? Did hard use precede the failure ?

1) TA31RCOM4 Acog - Turrets stopped having resistance. Just free spun. Glass was shattered.

Unfortunately, the operator was killed earlier in the week by an IED. RIP Robert Lynch

2) Every single Vortex PST I’ve ever owned.

• Sad
Reactions: deersniper
Heard the lenses shatter?
hahaha...you are either on NF payroll or you're just full of shit as we both know that you read those threads, know what was what, but give us this misleading throw away line. Too funny.

hahaha...you are either on NF payroll or you're just full of shit as we both know that you read those threads, know what was what, but give us this misleading throw away line. Too funny.
Do you have the links I only read the first parts. What was the bottom line. ?

I have 4 ZCO lol

I have 4 ZCO lol
hahaha.....good one. I thought you were a NF guy to your dying day. Might have you confused with another.

Nah, don't have the links and both of the OP's were def whining twat waffles IMO.

First guy cracked a lens....and couldn't actually figure out which one for a while...torquing ARC rings. Don't believe he ever came back and told us what the end result was. Maybe cause he got his whiny ass pummeled a bit in the usual SH manner.

Other guy went to a match, got grease spots on a lens, came back and said he had another problem also...can't remember what....and kept bitch and bitching when both ZCO and his retailer (Richard at CS if I recall correctly) kept asking him to contact them so they could get him straightened out. He would just rather bitch on the forum to the point we all just walked away. Dunno end result....I think last I saw he finally sent it back to them with some excuse about why he put off calling Jeff and...ah, can't remember the other ZCO guy who's on the board....gephard maybe?....who absolutely asked him to do so.

hahaha.....good one. I thought you were a NF guy to your dying day. Might have you confused with another.

Nah, don't have the links and both of the OP's were def whining twat waffles IMO.

First guy cracked a lens....and couldn't actually figure out which one for a while...torquing ARC rings. Don't believe he ever came back and told us what the end result was. Maybe cause he got his whiny ass pummeled a bit in the usual SH manner.

Other guy went to a match, got grease spots on a lens, came back and said he had another problem also...can't remember what....and kept bitch and bitching when both ZCO and his retailer (Richard at CS if I recall correctly) kept asking him to contact them so they could get him straightened out. He would just rather bitch on the forum to the point we all just walked away. Dunno end result....I think last I saw he finally sent it back to them with some excuse about why he put off calling Jeff and...ah, can't remember the other ZCO guy who's on the board....gephard maybe?....who absolutely asked him to do so.

I wonder if both guys with zco issues were required like that guy with the NF issue to sign nda's not allowing them to follow up?

tenor (1).gif

Sightron Stac 3-16x42 - Parallax issues
Razor LHT HD 3-15 - Absolute garbage POS. I hate it with a perfect hatred.
Every single FFP Gen 1 PST (2.5-10 and 4-16, I think I had 2 of each)
Leupold vxr 3-9 non cds, parralax issues/wandering zero. sent for warranty and CDS upgrade. Worked fine ever since.

On the other hand, I have a few beater scopes that I expected to shit the bed or have tracking issues but they’ve been flawless:
VXR Patrol 3-9
VXR Patrol 1.25-4
VX6HD 1-6 with the CDs-zl2 mil turrets
All of these have been brutalized and still track and return to zero. Which is almost surprising considering Leupolds general reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
My Vortex Razor Gen 2 E 1-6 bit the dust yesterday. The illuminated fiber seemed to have come unattached and slipped from alignment with the reticle. I now have two vertical lines above the center aiming point. I shot at 100 yard steel and my POI shifted about 4-5 inches laterally as well. I will be sending it off tomorrow.

B2FA0FF6-572B-48A1-8B50-88B3B505EC35.jpeg

Mine was similar. I had two lines below the aiming point and the illuminated dot was over to the right.

The original poa was still on. It got me through a full comp that way.

Viper hs with failing return to zero. Screw og viper scopes, man.

Swfa 1-4 wouldn't change magnification. They were super good about replacing it.

Kahles k525i the illumination dropped off when passing 50%. I've seen it in a few of their scopes.

Buddy of mine had a mk5 fail to return to zero, they got it fixed and back to him within a week.

My Vortex Razor Gen 2 E 1-6 bit the dust yesterday. The illuminated fiber seemed to have come unattached and slipped from alignment with the reticle. I now have two vertical lines above the center aiming point. I shot at 100 yard steel and my POI shifted about 4-5 inches laterally as well. I will be sending it off tomorrow.

View attachment 7906040
I’ve seen this happen quite a bit. I’ve always wondered if the Gen 2-E was a little bit more fragile than the original Gen 2 1-6.

Tasco 3-9X on my springer BB gun for a few years back in the late 1980's :LOL: - reverse recoil over time killed it. One and only failure I've experienced!

I’ve seen this happen quite a bit. I’ve always wondered if the Gen 2-E was a little bit more fragile than the original Gen 2 1-6.
You wouldn’t be the first person to wonder that…

1. Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42: illumination would shut off as magnification was changed.
2. Vortex PST 3-15: elevation wouldn’t spin NIB.
Honorable mention Vortex LHT 3-15: windage turret had tactile resistance but no audible or tactile clicks.

1. Bushnell DMR (I have one) but the guy next to me at a Rifles Only match in Texas had his erector or reticle break, something inside was rattling. I was the only one who saw where is errant shot went, way low and right and bounced along the ground for a few hundred yards.
2. Tasco World Class 8-32 rimfire benchrest, tracking not following perfectly. Would track after a 1 to 3 shots to the new setting. If you exercised the turrets first, then tracking would be good for a while. The scope was probably 25 to 30 years old, which explains the tracking issue, they get sticky after a while.
3. Bushnell Tactical (with zero stop), not sure exactly which model, Snipers Hide Cup 2015. Was user error, not scope failure. User did not set zero stop correctly and scope lost vertical tracking. When set correctly later in the day, scope returned to tracking correctly.
4. Vortex (PST I believe), parallax not working. Probably a ring over-torque issue but not sure, I didn't find out what the issue was, person was an NRL-22 competitor at our match.
5. Edit: Forgot, Schmidt-Bender PM-II 5-25, elevation turret quit working. The marine snipers said most of theirs quit working at some point, I saw one go down at one of our local matches.

2 Zeiss HD 5’s. Both parallax failures.
NF ATACR 5-25. Elevation turret replaced. Wouldn’t adjust to what’s was dialed.
NF SHV. Reticle went cockeyed.
S&B Exos. Seized turrets. They replaced entire scope.
S&B Polar. Specs in the lens. Replaced Scope

1. Bushnell DMR (I have one) but the guy next to me at a Rifles Only match in Texas had his erector or reticle break, something inside was rattling. I was the only one who saw where is errant shot went, way low and right and bounced along the ground for a few hundred yards.
2. Tasco World Class 8-32 rimfire benchrest, tracking not following perfectly. Would track after a 1 to 3 shots to the new setting. If you exercised the turrets first, then tracking would be good for a while. The scope was probably 25 to 30 years old, which explains the tracking issue, they get sticky after a while.
3. Bushnell Tactical (with zero stop), not sure exactly which model, Snipers Hide Cup 2015. Was user error, not scope failure. User did not set zero stop correctly and scope lost vertical tracking. When set correctly later in the day, scope returned to tracking correctly.
4. Vortex (PST I believe), parallax not working. Probably a ring over-torque issue but not sure, I didn't find out what the issue was, person was an NRL-22 competitor at our match.
5. Edit: Forgot, Schmidt-Bender PM-II 5-25, elevation turret quit working. The marine snipers said most of theirs quit working at some point, I saw one go down at one of our local matches.
I've been told if you don't release the spring pressure this can happen. It flattens the spring and then it no longer moves. When I had 40MOA worth of elevation and a 200yard zero, I was almost at the bottom of the travel. When stored I always turned the turret so the DT would pop out or about half travel to alleviate the tension on the spring. This was based on the advice of the S&B technician.

I'll go ahead and be honest. I have an IOR 2.5-10 illuminated mp8 reticle with capped turrets. It has been bullet proof. The "glass" is excellent. I ran it for years but as I got older I wanted more magnification so I upgraded. It is now my back up and loaner scope. The finish is even wearing off of it, definitely seen some use and abuse.
I was shooting Woody's designated marksman match many years ago and another participant's 25lb+ rifle fell on it and put a really good scratch on it. As hard as it impacted I expected to at least have a serious dent in the tube....... but nope, it was fine.

Last edited:
I was shooting Woody's designated marksman match many years ago and another participant's 25+ lb rifle fell on it and put a really good scratch on it. As hard as it impacted I expected to at least have a serious dent in the tube....... but nope, it was fine.

Wasn't me! LOL

Yes. Never had a 25 pound rifle so in the clear! LOL

Yes. Never had a 25 pound rifle so in the clear! LOL
Yeah, it was a tank of a rifle. He had stepped away so he didn't see it happen but when I reached down to pick it up, I was impressed with just how heavy it was. My rifles aren't feather weight hunting rifles but i would have hated to carry his around all day.

Reactions: Rob01
I wish that the DMM matches were still going on there but at least we have a 1000 yard range. Plenty happy with that. ;)

When I was in NC I went to Butner. Is there another range now? I'm moving back this summer God willing.

When I was in NC I went to Butner. Is there another range now? I'm moving back this summer God willing.

Woody's. Opened the 1000 yard range up this fall. It's to the right of the 550 yard range that has been there.

Athlon 1-4.5 illumination not working when new. Replaced by factory.
Bushnell XRS 1 unknown rounds but a LOT- tracking wondered. Replaced under warranty.
Replacement XRS 1 scope- less than 100 rounds, turrets stopped adjusting. Replaced under warranty with XRS 3.
Sightron S3- 3000+ rounds- groups wandering- repaired by Sightron under warranty.
Those are the ones in the last 5 years.

I guess I'm not lucky enough to shoot enough to break a scope.
The laser on my firefield broke while I was trying to adjust the aim on it. They warrantied it.
Some of you guys probably have scope caps worth more than this.

Attachments

• 1673666552840.png
    1673666552840.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Convex
"hahaha.....good one. I thought you were a NF guy to your dying day. Might have you confused with another.

Other guy went to a match, got grease spots on a lens, came back and said he had another problem also...can't remember what....and kept bitch and bitching when both ZCO and his retailer (Richard at CS if I recall correctly) kept asking him to contact them so they could get him straightened out. He would just rather bitch on the forum to the point we all just walked away. Dunno end result....I think last I saw he finally sent it back to them with some excuse about why he put off calling Jeff and...ah, can't remember the other ZCO guy who's on the board....gephard maybe?....who absolutely asked him to do so............

Some folks are unfair in that the 1st thing to do w/there's a problem is contact the manufacturer and tell 'em U got a problem. I've found that when you talk to folks like human beings, it makes them want to work w/U and they'll fix the problem when many times they don't have to.

Have an Eotech that's been off warranty for years. I'm a lefty and so I tried reversing the mount, and screws wouldn't budge. Heated them up so hot I was afraid I would warp the casing and they still wouldn't budge. Called Eotech who said send it in. They got the screws out/sent me replacement screws and shipped back to me, all at no charge.

I was very impressed by that.

Calling 'em out in public B4 U give them a courtesy "heads up" is being kind of lazy, and kind of "lashing out" Bcuz folks are initially and understandably pissed Bcuz one of their toys is broken.

When I'm pissed, different stuff comes out of my mouth, so I try to wait a little bit B4 talking to/about folks about a problem.

3 things I don't do, or at least try not to.

Get pissed and have a couple of drinks, and then call somebody.
Get pissed and have a couple of drinks, and email somebody.
Drink and start shopping on the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glassaholic
USO TS-25, ocular lens fell out after 30 rds. of .308 on a 15 lb. rifle. Within a week, USO sent me a TS-20 to replace it, about a $600 upgrade.

Burris 2-7 pistol scope, reticle blew out after about 100 rds. of full power .460 S&W. Took about 5-6 weeks, but they sent me a new scope.

S&B 3-20 PMII Ultra Short, spec of something on an internal lens, took 6 months for repair. Was told after 5 months they ordered a new erector from Germany. Paperwork doesn't say anything about that.