• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for 10.5” 556?

I use my 10.3 primarily for home defense and set it up with an XPS 3-2 and SF white scout light & can. I use little 40g hornady plastic tip home defense rounds, figuring they would still fuck up an intruder without over penetrating and harming/killing the wrong people.
3DF42075-C157-4435-83F0-3833F592CEE7.jpeg

I keep the rear half for other things like magnifiers or PVS type optics (dont yet have one of those).

The good news is, this is more of a reason to have more/different uppers once you figure out what your mission is and which makes the most sense to use today :D

I use my 10.3 primarily for home defense and set it up with an XPS 3-2 and SF white scout light & can. I use little 40g hornady plastic tip home defense rounds, figuring they would still fuck up an intruder without over penetrating and harming/killing the wrong people.
View attachment 7245792

I keep the rear half for other things like magnifiers or PVS type optics (dont yet have one of those).

Random question, are your arms like Scotty Pippen length?

Well I certainly don’t shoot from helicopters but I am far more likely to need to pop a coyote in my pasture than clear my house and I like the shorter barrel with a can for convenience, so for my situation in the boonies I think I’m right.

Of course for someone else their mileage will vary.

Reactions: TACC
Random question, are your arms like Scotty Pippen length?

Yep, and so is another body part.

I keep the stock fully extended when it’s in my safe so it reaches the “barrel” cut outs. I don’t run it at that length. Just grabbed it from there

Yep, and so is another body part.

I keep the stock fully extended when it’s in my safe so it reaches the “barrel” cut outs. I don’t run it at that length. Just grabbed it from there

lol was just asking. I wa slike, if his stock is set right, hes gotta have a gigantic wingspan

Reactions: TACC
Comes down to what hes doing with it. Is it short for staying in the house, or is it a shorty for traveling and in and out of vehicles but shooting in open terrain?

The problem is terminal performance of ammo given the slower velocity. Sure you can smack steel at 400 with your 10.5 AR, I’ve done it a lot. However expecting that bullet to perform well at those ranges is extremely optimistic. At the ranges it does reliably perform well its pretty easy to make accurate shots with an Aimpoint. The only logical reasons I can come up with for wanting a LPV on a shorty are possibly PID requirement or poor eyesight. Eh...you’d have to really sell me at that.

Reactions: deersniper
T2

Attachments

• 4748A703-FFF8-4663-80B7-8D1503A2F30F.jpeg
    4748A703-FFF8-4663-80B7-8D1503A2F30F.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 163
Not alot of love for the Trijicon MRO, I kind of like it better than my T2 Or a toss up.
Then again I need reading glasses to read a menu, so that may be part of it.

On my 10.3 I’m running a RMR on a LEAP mount and I’m under 3oz.

Reactions: lawofsavage
I’ve run a T2 (as well as M5s, EoTechs, and ACOGs) on work MK18s and 100% would go with the T2 for your 10.5.

All day, everyday, and twice on days where your life depends on it.

What's your intended use? I'm running a Kahles K16i on my 11.5 duty/SWAT rifle with an RMR on a 45 degree mount. The magnification is great for seeing into spaces that I can't see with the naked eye, including looking into darker spaces while I'm in a well-lit spot (I'm standing outside in full sun looking into a dark house). Your intended use will dictate the answer.

^^^^ This dude has a good point. Love me some K16i on an SBR...

See-All Tritium

Passive (read, no batteries), parallax-free, durable, and inexpensive

No magnification, but a 10.5" AR in 5.56 isn't exactly a long distance tool.

Neither. Elcan Spectre 1/4x is my favorite optic for 11.5 and under 556 guns. Simple, rugged, fast, alpha class glass, and just makes sense. With a short barreled gun, you don't need (and likely will never use) 2x or 3x.

N7b2qOT.jpg

Reactions: CaptBrian
See-All Tritium

Passive (read, no batteries), parallax-free, durable, and inexpensive

No magnification, but a 10.5" AR in 5.56 isn't exactly a long distance tool.

I’ve never really understood these sights. There is not much of a difference in sight acquisition between See-all and iron sights.

I love the "not a long distance tool" posts too. Not just his. Anyone feel like standing out at 400 yards and taking one in the cranium or chest? I don't. Might not do the mil spec fragging or mushroom perfectly like pics on the internet but it doesn't have to. Just needs to hit and give the target something to think about. ;)

Re: See-All vs. irons; little difference in sight acquisition, but See-All tritium does glow in the dark (of course you could get iron night sights, too...), but the big advantage (IMO) over irons is that the See-All allows you to run whatever gas block you want because you don't have to deal with mounting a front sight.

In regard to the distance capability of short barreled 5.56 rifles... of course I don't want to stand down range of one, but neither do I want to count on one to put an animal down humanely at any kind of distance. For me, all of my target shooting is essentially practice for hunting... and if my projectile doesn't perform at distance due to a lack of velocity, then I own the suffering that the animal has to deal with.

Ta33 or 50 (3x acog) or aimpoint t2. Both have advantages but 33s are still very fast even in close and fairly compact. The 50 has poor eye relief but is very compact. Both will make hits at 300 with even the short barrel pretty easy. The 33 gets a big advantage in its eye box being generous but takes a hit to the 50 by having a small fov.

In regard to the distance capability of short barreled 5.56 rifles... of course I don't want to stand down range of one, but neither do I want to count on one to put an animal down humanely at any kind of distance. For me, all of my target shooting is essentially practice for hunting... and if my projectile doesn't perform at distance due to a lack of velocity, then I own the suffering that the animal has to deal with.

Well obviously right tool for the job and you wouldn;t hunt animals at 400 yards with an AR pistol. You can practice with it but not hunt with it. Don't you see the difference and the ability to separate jobs?

I love the "not a long distance tool" posts too. Not just his. Anyone feel like standing out at 400 yards and taking one in the cranium or chest? I don't. Might not do the mil spec fragging or mushroom perfectly like pics on the internet but it doesn't have to. Just needs to hit and give the target something to think about. ;)
And a little searching will show some reports of people in mideast taking people at 500+ with 10.5s. I concede fragmentation is awesome and desirable but a couple of 22s at 11-1200fps will certainly make for a bad day.

Reactions: Rob01
Well obviously right tool for the job and you wouldn;t hunt animals at 400 yards with an AR pistol. You can practice with it but not hunt with it. Don't you see the difference and the ability to separate jobs?
I absolutely do, and that's why I don't see the point of practicing at 400 yards with a short barreled AR... if I'm not going to hunt with it, for what activity am I* practicing? I can see myself potentially shooting it at distance for gits and shiggles as a game, but that's about it.

* yes, I see the value in using such a setup to practice wind reads, etc..., but again, if I'm not going to hunt with it (at that distance), why bother? Why not spend that same time/ammo practicing those same skills with the weapons that I will use to hunt at that distance?

Practice is practice. All will make you better. Doesn't have to be the exact rifle but you do you.

My 10.5 kills about 100 pigs a year from the truck, tractor, cotton picker, or combine.
Fits in those cabs so nice n neat, easy to manage, fast.
The 1-4 lvpo makes running head shots much easier.
The 55 V-Max kills very well on under 150# pigs.
I didnt feel under equipped when I carried one at work with different ammo, and a different optic. Got the same results.
Astigmatism has made the dot look like a offset figure 8. A chevron or crosshair works so much better at this point in my life.
I've used or tested most of the dot sights mentioned here, and they all worked just fine getting center chest hits for door kickers, and on larger game animals.
I've used several of the lvpo's mentioned here. Some will get you killed in a doorway, no field of view and no fast acquisition, some really suck up close.
It's up to the user to articulate their needs clearly for several experienced people to be able to offer nuanced solutions.
And there are several people who can tell you bullet x out of a 10.5 didnt stop a 185 pound mammal with a center chest hit 6 of 10 times, that a second or third or fourth round was needed.
If that's ok with you, ok.... that's on you.

My 10.5 with 1-4 lvpo works extremely well for what I ask it to do.
Its 16" 308 brother has to handle things shorty cant do. It's up to me to make the right choice on shorty or 2nd child,
Or their bigger brothers 300 mag and 338 lapua.

You just have to know your place and theirs. Some jobs need a 1/4" drive, some a 1/2" drive, and some a inch drive and 150 pounds of air driving it, some need an inch drive and a cheater bar, just sayin.

A lot of people's mileage varies in cases like these.... a lot.
Superman never needs a cheater bar, Jimmy Olsen on the other hand, might not get the job done with a cheater bar AND with Lois Lane helping him. Just sayin.
Mileage varies a lot on a 10.5.....

The good news is, this is more of a reason to have more/different uppers once you figure out what your mission is and which makes the most sense to use today :D

Lol, I've actually stopped building lowers and just put together multiple uppers for whatever. Plus saves room in the safe for other things.

@j-huskey

What lpvo optics do you prefer for this type of carbine and which ones or types do you strictly avoid?

20200211_084523.jpg

I love the S&B short dot, but hate the price. Its weight is a bit much. U dont see one in the pic....

I really like the night forces, but dont like the price. They are a bit on the heavy side. #2 in the pic spent the last 5 years on a 308 to pair with a pvs22 or LWTS. Zero complaints. And it was fast to acquire 25 and out.

I used the MK4's for the last 15 years, sorry they discontinued that specific scope. Never broke one. Still have half dozen or so. I loan them and the rifles out during team training to guys who want to compare LVPO to a dot or chevron unit. They are probably my favorite....... but.....

I have a SIG 1-4. Clearest glass of all. Heavy as f..... discontinued as well.

The leupold HOG is the current farm scope. Less expensive, havent broken one yet, most often loaned these days, did I mention havent broken one yet, even with klutz first time hunters or rough playing team guys. It's the current go to.

Not pictured.
Leupold Patrol. Soft turret, and we have glitched several. I gave the last one away.

Any of the 1" tube AR scopes pretty much suck.

Burris is ok, but have lost a couple of adjusters, quit clicking. Wouldn't approve one on the team.

USO is OK, but, heavy, expensive, and history.

Trijicon is a player. Spendy and big tube can eliminate some mount options, big side. Prefer it on a 16" 308.

Vortex options have proven out pretty good. It's what most of the mid price range people have bought. Glitch rate is about 10%.

I havent bought or wanted the later MK x leupolds. Glitched several and I'm not a fan of their prices.

That's the current experience to date.

I havent had a bad ACOG yet. They are tough, dont like the price.

Hope it helps some,
vr

Added,
I do not have any experience with Kahles, Swarovski, or Zeiss lpvo's, nor any of the newer scope lines.
I dont know of any departments or US units running them.
Would love to hear from any board members here with experience with them.
vr

Last edited:
Neither. Elcan Spectre 1/4x is my favorite optic for 11.5 and under 556 guns. Simple, rugged, fast, alpha class glass, and just makes sense. With a short barreled gun, you don't need (and likely will never use) 2x or 3x.

N7b2qOT.jpg
Boom! The elephant in the room...

Not even my OP, however a topic I often ponder. This is a great response

View attachment 7246902

I love the S&B short dot, but hate the price. Its weight is a bit much. U dont see one in the pic....

I really like the night forces, but dont like the price. They are a bit on the heavy side. #2 in the pic spent the last 5 years on a 308 to pair with a pvs22 or LWTS. Zero complaints. And it was fast to acquire 25 and out.

I used the MK4's for the last 15 years, sorry they discontinued that specific scope. Never broke one. Still have half dozen or so. I loan them and the rifles out during team training to guys who want to compare LVPO to a dot or chevron unit. They are probably my favorite....... but.....

I have a SIG 1-4. Clearest glass of all. Heavy as f..... discontinued as well.

The leupold HOG is the current farm scope. Less expensive, havent broken one yet, most often loaned these days, did I mention havent broken one yet, even with klutz first time hunters or rough playing team guys. It's the current go to.

Not pictured.
Leupold Patrol. Soft turret, and we have glitched several. I gave the last one away.

Any of the 1" tube AR scopes pretty much suck.

Burris is ok, but have lost a couple of adjusters, quit clicking. Wouldn't approve one on the team.

USO is OK, but, heavy, expensive, and history.

Trijicon is a player. Spendy and big tube can eliminate some mount options, big side. Prefer it on a 16" 308.

Vortex options have proven out pretty good. It's what most of the mid price range people have bought. Glitch rate is about 10%.

I havent bought or wanted the later MK x leupolds. Glitched several and I'm not a fan of their prices.

That's the current experience to date.

I havent had a bad ACOG yet. They are tough, dont like the price.

Hope it helps some,
vr

I like RDS and magnifier (my choices are the Mepo dot and the EO g.33 magnifier, but I am me) for the 5.56 guns. Even the short one can do 600 yd hits, and my eyes suck so I need the magnifier to find targets, etc. especially when it's not white painted steel on a mowed range.
49362670227_1f1df8ab2d_b.jpg

The 9mm upper has no full time magnifier because 9mm. The (subsonic generally) .300 has an SMRS because I get dials and holdovers for the fairly loopy trajectory and also as a better host for the clipo:
48734171342_6db9c5a3a4_b.jpg

Which I post not because it's an excuse to post stuff I like :) but because: it depends. Intent, host gun and cartridge, personal capabilities, ancillary equipment, expected terrain, etc. etc. drives gear selection.

I'm another one in the camp for a T2 and magnifier if necessary. Plenty of experience with ARs of all lengths and using all types of optic set ups, and for shorty's I strongly prefer dots with a QD magnifier.

Reactions: Pointman308
In the LE patrol & SWAT roles, I've run both an RDS on a 11.5" with a can, and a Kahles K16i on the same gun. With the T1 on the gun, there were several times I wished for some magnification so I could see into buildings, shadowed areas, etc. Since I mounted the Kahles I've wished for the RDS exactly zero times. If you're willing to put in the work, the LPVO is not a hinderance up close.

If the sole purpose of the gun is home defense or working inside small structures you're not giving up anything with the RDS. For everything else, the LPVO, especially one with good glass and a reasonable weight, like the Kahles, is the way to go.