• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for 6.5 PRC Christensen Arms MPR

SHammR

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2023
Florida
First post, have been following for a while. I’m sure this has been covered before, but very much appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer.
Bought a 6.5 PRC Christensen Arms MPR which I’m planning to hunt (Everglades, hopefully a couple trips out West occasionally where I can push range).
Curious from everyone’s experience what optic/magnification/weight you’d recommend. Trying to stay within $3k
Thanks in advance!

What barrel length is your rifle?

That's just my curiosity.

What will you be hunting, typical shot range, style of hunting, that kind of thing?

Reactions: 338dude
What barrel length is your rifle?

That's just my curiosity.

What will you be hunting, typical shot range, style of hunting, that kind of thing?
24 inch
Mainly deer and hogs. We hunt out of tree stands or off a buggy most of the time (2-300 yards max). Would like to reach out further though, and spend a little more time on foot.
Thanks for the reply

I like a 3-18×. I live in west TN, and it's obviously very different from the everglades, but we can be hunting a spot where visibility is a max of 50y, and then standing in a field 10 minutes later looking 400y. I think a 3-18× gets you through every range you'll ever think of shooting an animal at.

Reactions: 338dude and SHammR
I like a 3-18×. I live in west TN, and it's obviously very different from the everglades, but we can be hunting a spot where visibility is a max of 50y, and then standing in a field 10 minutes later looking 400y. I think a 3-18× gets you through every range you'll ever think of shooting an animal at.
Thanks, really appreciate the advice. If you don’t mind my asking, is there a particular optic you like in that 3-18 category?

Thanks, really appreciate the advice. If you don’t mind my asking, is there a particular optic you like in that 3-18 category?
On the cheaper end you have the Burris XTR III, they are really a decent scope for the money. I own a couple and really like them. The Trijicon (can't remember the model, but they've been on clearance on europtic for about half price for months) is a nice scope as well. Either can be had for about $1,000. I have 2 of the sig tango 6 scopes in that magnification range. They are out of production, but man I like them and there is often a used model floating around the px. Excellent glass, 35mm tube, internal electronic level inside the scope. Then you can go up from there. The next step up would probably be the Leupold mark V/ VX-5 lines. Excellent glass, lightweight etc. Then there is a kahles in 3-18 if a man is so inclined. The NX-8 line from Nightforce is always worth considering. Their 2.5-20×50 is very popular. The eyebox is a little rough, but otherwise they are excellent..

Reactions: 338dude and SHammR
On the cheaper end you have the Burris XTR III, they are really a decent scope for the money. I own a couple and really like them. The Trijicon (can't remember the model, but they've been on clearance on europtic for about half price for months) is a nice scope as well. Either can be had for about $1,000. I have 2 of the sig tango 6 scopes in that magnification range. They are out of production, but man I like them and there is often a used model floating around the px. Excellent glass, 35mm tube, internal electronic level inside the scope. Then you can go up from there. The next step up would probably be the Leupold mark V/ VX-5 lines. Excellent glass, lightweight etc. Then there is a kahles in 3-18 if a man is so inclined. The NX-8 line from Nightforce is always worth considering. Their 2.5-20×50 is very popular. The eyebox is a little rough, but otherwise they are excellent..
Will probably grab the Mark V, but keep hearing great things about the Burris. Thanks for taking the time, this was extremely helpful. Have a nice rest of the weekend.

Just bought the same rifle MPR with the steel barrel. Will be in in a few days. How do you like yours? Mine is 6.5 as well. How is the accuracy?

As far as the scope I would suggest ZEISS V4 or a Night Force NXS if the budget allows.

Reactions: SHammR
Wanna hear something funny.

I bought this same rifle this morning. I'm out in wyoming on a bear hunt and my 300wsm wouldn't shoot here. The same handload that was shooting about a half minute at sea level shoots about a 10 minute group at 6,600ft, so I went to sportsmans this morning and that's what I bought. Took it to the range today to zero, and was shooting about .5 moa with hornady factory 147 eld-m. Went to 1000y to true my data, and it was pinpoint at 1,000y after I got the bc right. Damn good shooting rifle, but with my can on it, it's a fence post..

• Wow
Reactions: SHammR and 338dude
24 inch
Mainly deer and hogs. We hunt out of tree stands or off a buggy most of the time (2-300 yards max). Would like to reach out further though, and spend a little more time on foot.
Thanks for the reply
Kahles K318i CCW RSW with the SKMR3 reticle is what I run on my main hunting rifle... Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 20" 7mm-08.

tempImageuiH8BR.pngtempImageIhKWXI.pngtempImageL3JYW3.png
tempImageyzE5oR.pngtempImageVEtMvH.png

I have a matching pair of MPR's, as well...

IMG_8348.jpeg

First post, have been following for a while. I’m sure this has been covered before, but very much appreciate any advice anyone is willing to offer.
Bought a 6.5 PRC Christensen Arms MPR which I’m planning to hunt (Everglades, hopefully a couple trips out West occasionally where I can push range).
Curious from everyone’s experience what optic/magnification/weight you’d recommend. Trying to stay within $3k
Thanks in advance!

Is this based off a Short Action? It can help determine what optic will also fit correctly as some scopes could be too short.

Just bought the same rifle MPR with the steel barrel. Will be in in a few days. How do you like yours? Mine is 6.5 as well. How is the accuracy?

As far as the scope I would suggest ZEISS V4 or a Night Force NXS if the budget allows.
Hey, just saw this. I actually did grab the Nightforce NXS, what’d you end up putting on yours? Love it so far

Reactions: 981kirk
Wanna hear something funny.

I bought this same rifle this morning. I'm out in wyoming on a bear hunt and my 300wsm wouldn't shoot here. The same handload that was shooting about a half minute at sea level shoots about a 10 minute group at 6,600ft, so I went to sportsmans this morning and that's what I bought. Took it to the range today to zero, and was shooting about .5 moa with hornady factory 147 eld-m. Went to 1000y to true my data, and it was pinpoint at 1,000y after I got the bc right. Damn good shooting rifle, but with my can on it, it's a fence post..
What optic did you end up throwing on yours? Can is up next

What optic did you end up throwing on yours? Can is up next
I had an eotech vudu 5-25x on my .300wsm. I just swapped it over. Can is a banish 30. It was pretty light, but that can is 9" I think, so I had 33" of barrel. I just think a 20" barrel is as long as I want with a suppressor.

I have a bushnell forge 4.5-27 on mine and I love it. It’s a short action so the 2.5-20 NX8 will work. I have one on my 300 wsm. It’s a tight scope to get behind though. I killed my buck in Wyoming last west with mine. And it was a fence post but it worked great out there. I also have an omega 300 on it. I know you’ve already got an NXS on yours and those are great scopes. But for someone looking in the future the Burris XTR III in the 3-18 is a helluva scope and great price point. If you can find any of the forge series bushnell scopes they are fairly inexpensive but have been remarkable for me. I have several of them on different rifles. You can’t go wrong.

Hey, just saw this. I actually did grab the Nightforce NXS, what’d you end up putting on yours? Love it so far
I have the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 on mine. Shoots sub 1/2 minute groups if I can do my part. The recoil pad sucks. I have the 6.5 PRC. Wish there was an upgrade

But for someone looking in the future the Burris XTR III in the 3-18 is a helluva scope and great price point.
Absolutely agree. The Burris XTR-IIIi is quite underrated, and has great glass and smooth solid turrets, and very fluid controls and adjustments. I have one in 5.5-30x56 with the SCR 2 reticle, and I really like it. I recently put it on my 16" MPR in 6mm ARC just to test to ensure it wasn't the scope, before having to send the rifle back to Christensen Arms to get it fixed. Not sure what's wrong with it, as they just got it on Thursday, but I'll know soon enough. They said 4-8 week turn-around time. But once it comes back, I will be putting the XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 back on it, as I really liked that combo.

IMG_8875.jpeg

Buy the scope with bumper to bumper no questions asked lifetime warranty including their electronics (illuminated reticles). All electronics will end up going bad. Many scope companies may sell you on their lifetime warranties but doesn't include their electronics such as illuminated reticles.

Nightforce only have a limited 3 year warranty on their electronics.

Bushnell only has a one year warranty on their electronics only with original dated proof of purchase receipt.

SIG and Trijicon only 5 years from date of manufacture NOT date of actual purchase on their electronics including scopes and rangefinder binoculars. If you buy old stock especially on closeout you may not have any warranty left.

Zeiss is only a few years warranty on electronics in their scopes maybe 2 or 3 years? My Zeiss scope doesn't have an illuminated reticle horray.

There's many more other brands that people don't realize the lifetime warranty doesn't cover the electronic related parts of their scopes or doesn't have a real lifetime warranty either.

Edited to correct Zeiss has a 5 year warranty on their electronics IE illuminated reticles in their scopes and Steiner has 2 or 3 years warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 981kirk
24 inch
Thanks for the reply
Leupold VX 6 4-24x CDS ZL2 or 4-20x VX5 CDS ZL2 with daylight bright Firedot duplex reticles. Send in your free CDS dial voucher for your specific caliber and load.