• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for Afghan

Re: Optic for Afghan

Not saying life if priceless just looking into price effective options
smile.gif

Trijicon ACOG is what currently issued, currently mounted on M16A4 as long as we don't do a re-issue and get stuck with an M4

There are no price effective options when it comes to your life! I am fairly certain the only combat testing the Falcon Menace is involved in would be conducted by you!

you could use a falcon and probably be fine. i'd stick with the ACOG though, it's much better built.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoshuaJJAckson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not saying life if priceless just looking into price effective options
smile.gif

Trijicon ACOG is what currently issued, currently mounted on M16A4 as long as we don't do a re-issue and get stuck with an M4 </div></div>

Whats the difference between an m16a4 and an m16m4?

The major differences:
M16A4 has 20 inch barrel and fixed A2 stock.

M4 has 14.5 inch barrel and Telescoping buttstock

Both are flattops

M4 complaints are shorter barrel equals less muzzle velocity and are louder. Also shorter gas system so more stress and overheat faster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pennzoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The major differences:

Both are flattops

M4 complaints are shorter barrel equals less muzzle velocity and are louder. Also shorter gas system so more stress and overheat faster.
</div></div>

The M4 is also more prone to carbon fouling because of the shorter gas tube, allowing more carbon into the action than the rifle length gas system on the A4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GYSGTMUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pennzoil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The major differences:

Both are flattops

</div></div>

The M4 is also more prone to carbon fouling because of the shorter gas tube, allowing more carbon into the action than the rifle length gas system on the A4. </div></div>
Where does all that carbon go in the longer gun?
grin.gif

A Soldiers ears in battle must ring like crazy during engagements. How do you concentrate ?

SN-4
Went to A-Stan with it on my A2. Have it on my M4gery right now.
Without a doubt the toughest Battle Sight on the market. This is a replacement for the one I took. It had a few small issues upon my return that needed work, but JOhn decided to keep it and give me a brand new one. He collects his veteren scopes
usoCOMP.png

M4gery.jpg

Bingo to what Wild Bill said.

My M4 never bothered me while I was shooting it without earplugs. One time, one of my snipers was laying next to me shooting the M-21 and he was rather bothered by my M4 muzzle blast though.

It is not pleasant I guess but if that is where your attention is focused then you aren't fighting hard enough.

(Reading back through this, I should note that I do not condone the shooting of firearms without earplugs. Just when Hajji and you are shooting at eachother you have better things to do than put plugs in.)

Joshua,

Auditory occlusion, visual constriction (tunnel vision), loss of fine motor skills, can all be consequences of stress and adrenaline dumping into the system. Some will recall events as if in slow motion others will recall them in high definition with brilliant colors while others may remember everything in fast forward mode, and others may not recall specific events at all or any combination of the afore mentioned. Short duration incidents may cause you to have the shakes once things have calmed down as the body is still trying to process the adrenaline. The trick is to control your breathing, force yourself to visualize around you and keep your peripheral vision, (combat breathing critical). The physiology of combat can do weird shit, not getting freaked out about it and learning to control it along with quality training in which to have your brain be able to pull correct responses from will keep you alive. Enough of today’s brain pan exercise on to the optics.

Having not been to Afghanistan I can only go by what I have experienced elsewhere and those that I know and trust that have been there. ACOG’s such as the TA31RCO and others are holding up pretty well, and effective on target. A lot of the guys I know prefer to run an M68 Aimpoint with a magnifier that they can pop on and off depending on their area of operations. The Aimpoint set up gives them the best of all worlds in versatility, to include the ease of putting night vision behind the optic. Eotechs aren’t bad but have had several more issues than the Aimpoint and battery life can really suck at times. The Sn-4 is a good piece of kit but I have not had a chance to operate one anymore than just a couple magazines on a static range so I can’t give you a lot of feedback on it. Switchblade45 is certainly a good resource to contact if you are headed in that direction.

Rifles, the A4 gives you a little cooler running rifle with a touch better reach but you sacrifice mobility in close quarters and the length of pull with body armor can be a little long for some people to get a good stock weld and sight picture. The M4 answers the fit and mobility issues and is still capable out to 600. Maintenance is the key, keep your shit squared away and you won’t have an issue. There are some good lube products out there now days and those in country will let you know what works best. Put together a blow out kit for your rifle with spare parts (springs, pins, etc) upgrade the extractor if need be and for God’s sake take care of your magazines and replace them if they are not up to speed.

There is a wealth of knowledge available on this site; several of these guys have extensive experience in real world shit. Take the quality information and make an informed decision that works for you.

So much for a short answer, good luck and God’s speed.

Also in the future please do not edit your post to remove your original question as others may be interested in what you have to say as well.

Take care,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Worker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Soldiers ears in battle must ring like crazy during engagements. How do you concentrate ?</div></div>

It is called Auditory Exclusion.

One thing to remember though, just because you do not hear the noises, does not mean it does not damage your ears...

occlusion - exclusion symantics either way it is amazing how the body works to protect itself. The problem lies in ones ability to recognize these changes and use them to your benefit.

Striker,
Have you ever used the sound deadening ear muffs in combat and what is your take on effectiveness, do they bother you to wear them? Ear muffs bug the shit out of me having them on my head, I usually just use the foam plugs for range work, and have a degree of hearing loss from not having hearing protection at other times when rounds are outbound and inbound.

Take care and be safe out there.

Your MOS can and will certainly try your patience from both sides of the fence. Good luck to you and your Marines and if I can ever be of assitance let me know.

Danel

Danel, I wasn't trying to correct you, we just were posting at the same time about the same thing.
smile.gif

I have tried the different types of ear plugs out there, but my ear canals seem to be abnormal, I can't get them to stay in as I move around. My last deployment we were issued QuietPro and they worked well as long as I could keep them in my ears. They increase ambient noise, but block out the damaging noise spikes such as explosions and gunfire. The downfall was that both earphones had to be in your ears for the jawbone mics to pick up your voice when you transmitted.

Striker no offense taken, I have used and seen the words interchanged, not a problem. Damn sure sounds like you have better comms than I did, hand and arm signals with the ever present "you are number one" middle finger to punctuate was the norm. We use a PTT throat mike with either sound deadening muffs or ear bud on one side and a plug on the other with the PD. We had to steer away from the voice activated bone mic as cops have a tendency to talk way too much and it is hard to get your traffic sent at times with all the nervous or excited chatter. I may have to give the Quit Pro a shot for my personal gear as my buddy is tired of me shrugging my shoulders and giving him the "WHAT" when we are shooting or instructing on the range. Thanks for the link.

Be safe brother and always remember no matter how bad it is it can always get worse.

Take care,

Danel