• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes optic for Desert Tech (DTA) Covert?

maysys

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
Anyone have ideas/recommendations for a 15-20x scope that would be short enough to put on a DTA covert and still be able to mount a NV device forward on the short covert forearm?

I'm aware of the S&B PMII Ultra Short. Not so impressed with the reading I've done on it here, and I don't necessarily want to the spend the money on the S&B premium either. Running a Luepold Mk8 on my Sako TRG and loving it but it is way too big to sit on top of the covert.

Thanks.

I'm using a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x and it's ~14" OAL. You'd need to find a scope that is 8-10" OAL to get enough room to mount on the forearm. I think you'd be better off finding a clip-on NV and either running a suppressor or long barrel so the muzzle blast doesn't effect your glass.

10364976176_f160c6476a_b.jpg

Yeah, honestly you're going to be hard pressed to find a scope/NV combo that'll fit on the Covert and still be comfortable to shoot - there's just not enough real estate. An option would be to get the SRS forearm - swapping them out isn't something you can do quickly in the field, but it can be done in about 10 minutes by stripping the skins off and mounting the receiver in a vice. The first time you do it is the most difficult, but after that its easier. If your barrels are under 22" then that may not be an option anyway. I more elaborate option that I've seen done is to have a smith make you a custom forearm with an intermediate length and drill holes to mount rails. At one point I looked into having a forearm made that was wide enough to fit over a suppressor, but then I got busy with other things.

Good luck, regardless.

Thanks. Still haven't got it all put together to see how it looks. Ordered the Covert kit and it took about 9mo to get it, and when it finally arrived it didn't have the wrench to remove the full-length forearm. Waiting on that wrench from DTA, once it arrives I'll get it put together and see how short I'd have to go in order to mount my NV. If it doesn't fit it isn't a deal breaker, just thought it would be nice if I could find something to make it fit.

BTW, I'm going to have a barely-used full length 308 barrel to sell shortly.

Like that Mk6 on top of the SRS. I was wondering about one of those. Could it sit any further rearward, eye-reliefwise?

Like that Mk6 on top of the SRS. I was wondering about one of those. Could it sit any further rearward, eye-reliefwise?

Most likely, It's not my primary optic for this rifle. Just mounted and shouldered it to make sure I could get a good sight picture. The picture is kind of deceiving, but the Obj. ends 5 notch's out on the forearm rail.

Is that the leupold mount? How's it for eye-height on the DTA? W/o the adjustable cheekpiece, I have the Gen1 skins. You guys with the A1 skins are making me envious.

Yeah that's on the radar, but it's spendy and the preliminary impressions I've read here are less than glowing. Not sure if that's just because everybody likes to knock S&B off their pricey throne these days, or what.

But its a point well made - I have acceptable optics I can use if there is something coming up that might be the perfect option.