• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for my new ar build

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
Hello guys. I just got my ar put together and test fired yesterday. It is 16inch barrel with free float handgaurd.

I plan to use this rifle as a do all rifle. I hope to try 3 gun shooting, maybe a tactical carbine class, and it will definitely see some predator hunting. I definitely want a variable optic to keep it versatile.

I have been looking at the vortex strike eagle 1-6 and 1-8 also the pst 1-4 and burris 1-4.

I am open to any other suggestions in this price range but i cant decide on these scopes.

Strike eagle 1-8
I love the idea of 8 power but is it worth the extra 100ish to the 1-6

Strike eagle 1-6
I have used one few just a little bit. I liked what i see and it gets a fair amount of love on all of the various forums

Pst 1-4
Definitely the best quality of the group.
Not sure if i will be wanting more than only 4 power for hunting.
Midway has them on sale for 350 and free shipping right now. Probably closeouts to make room for the gen2

Burris 1-4
Really havent done a lot of research on them sounds like they are a great optic but i think i have my heart set on more mag

The pst gen 2 1-6 maybe perfect for me but 700 is a little out of budget for me and i want to shoot this thing. So thinking of going strike eagle 1-6 and saving for a gen 2

What do you guys think. I have a lot going through my head with this and having a hard time putting it into words.
I have a 30mm mount figured so no worries there.

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I ran the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4 and was quite happy with it. My main complaint with most optics is that between the scope and mount they add too much weight and bulk to an otherwise lightweight carbine. The VX-R weighs about 12 ounces and in a GG&G FLT non-QD mount added "only" 17 ounces to the rifle. Most LPV scopes alone weigh more than that.

FWIW, I'm back to irons only at this point as I prefer my carbine light, compact and nimble. You could also consider a quality RDS, which between the optic and mount are usually only 5 to 7 ounces.

I have thought about a red dot but i dont feel like i will be able to make good shots on Coyote or woodchucks out to a few hundred yards. My eye sight is not as good as it could be

How does the 1.25 power work at close ranges. I was under the impression that I should really get something with a true 1x. Is the extra .25x noticed?

The pst 1-4 is tough to beat at the current prices. I had one and once shot a crow at 300 with it. Not ideal for long distance or small targets, but doable. I'd much rather have the pst gen ii 1-6, but if the price is too high, 4x is still a lot better than a red dot for shooting further than 200 yards.

I think the vortex strike eagle is the way to go. as far as 1-8x vs 1-6x, well the 8x would be nice, but it also depends on where you shoot and how the matches are set up. a lot of the local matches around me you would be best served with a red dot as there is usually only one "long range" bay. so only 1 stage where you might have a tgt or 2 out to 200 yds. maybe. the rest are close hoser tgts. now, if you shoot at woodys in NC a lot, your close shot will be 50 yds, so an 8x is awesome there. I have a razor II 1-6 and its fine, but if I lived close and shot that match every month, the $100 for the 8x would be worth it.

Its hard to argue with the hundreds of 4 and 5 star reviews from all of the different vendors for the strike eagle.

As far as 3 gun shooting goes from all the videos and pictures from local matches it looks like the magnification is a non issue. Most look like short range targets. I really want the magnification for hunting purposes just not sure where to make sacrifices.

I dont want to gut hung up on the match shooting. It is just something i want to try at some point.

I do not have real experience with the Strike Eagle 1x6, only a comparison when I was buying the 1x8 for my ar15. The extra $100 was worth it for me. The 1x8 is a little shorter and about a ounce less. I went with the 1x8 and have no regrets.

I really want to cheep out and go 1-6 but i am afraid i will always be wondering if I should have gotten the 1-8

Shooting ain't cheap. When in doubt, buy the higher end unit if you can afford it.

I'm in the same boat and have also been throwing around the idea if the PST Gen 2 2.5-10x32 with an off set red dot. Would cover everything from 10 yards to 600 easily. Disadvantage would be the extra weight and quite a bit nore expensive

Last edited:
Shooting ain't cheap. When in doubt, buy the higher end unit if you can afford it.

Couldn't agree more, I have the 1-6 strike eagle and love it. I have no intentions of shooting past 300 yards and I think it's perfect. I bought mine before the 8x announcement was released, or I would probably have it.
I built mine as a "tactical carbine". I have used it to bang steel with great results to 275 yards, hope to use it as a coyote killer, and use it to practice with defense drills.

You haven't mentioned what trigger you have with your build. In my personal opinion, I would take the 1-6x strike eagle with a ssa-e trigger over the milspec trigger and the 1-8x.

I wouldn't feel like I was held back with the 6x out to about 500, however I would feel like the caliber was on the outer limits and holding me back at that range.

I currently have the Vortex strike eagle 1-8 and have been putting it through its paces. I am really impressed with it. I prefer the reticle in the 1-8 over the 1-6. The illuminated reticle is useable in day or night and it is overall working perfectly on my AR.