• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for Remington 700 SPS tactical

jmoney911

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
I'm looking for an optic for my 700 SPS tactical. It's my first long range "precision" rifle, so I want an optic that I can learn the fundamentals with (i.e. calculate distance to targets etc...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specifics:
Price: ~$500
Mil Reticle/ Mil Turrets (a Must)
Range: 100yds-500yds
Mag: Leaning toward variable

I am kind of leaning toward the Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP, but I can't find one for sale in the states [if anyone wants to sell theirs PM me haha]. I am open to other manufacturers though. Thanks all!

Re: Optic for Remington 700 SPS tactical

Try to save up a few more bucks and call some hide vendors, for under $600 you can get a used 3-12 Bushnell FFP w/ mil mil or a Vortex PST with 2-10x mil mil and FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmoney911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for an optic for my 700 SPS tactical. It's my first long range "precision" rifle, so I want an optic that I can learn the fundamentals with (i.e. calculate distance to targets etc...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specifics:
Price: ~$500
Mil Reticle/ Mil Turrets (a Must)
Range: 100yds-500yds
Mag: Leaning toward variable

I am kind of leaning toward the Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP, but I can't find one for sale in the states [if anyone wants to sell theirs PM me haha]. I am open to other manufacturers though. Thanks all!

</div></div>
PM sent

I own a Falcon and honestly I wouldn't sell it to you even though I would love to get rid of it and grab a PST. I would look elsewhere. There is much better quality and warranty out there for similar money.

The Weaver 3X10 is on sale this month at Midway (just got the monthly flyer) for $299.00.

I personally have a Vortex Viper for the time being. It does not meet your Mil/Mil, but it is a mil dot reticle. You would still be able to practice your ranging and holdover if desired.
I am very happy with the performance of mine.

My personal "have to have" is a paralax adjustment (side focus strongly prefered). Not being able to clearly focus my scope annoys me to no end. Many here would say that the paralax adjustment is a "nice to have", it is all about personal preference.

For me the added magnification and side focus on the Vortex Viper was worth giving up FFP and Mil/Mil. You will have to choose your own compromise at this price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Super Sniper 10X, 300$ from SWFA.

edit: not mil mil but it is bullet proof and you won't lose much money on it as used ones go for 250$ all day long. </div></div>

Second that, my first scope was a super sniper too. Great learning tool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Falcon and honestly I wouldn't sell it to you even though I would love to get rid of it and grab a PST. I would look elsewhere. There is much better quality and warranty out there for similar money. </div></div>

Wouldn't sell it to me because they are junk or because you like it?

Ya I just did a quick search online about the "warranty" process they have... all I have to say is Bass Akwards. 5 year warranty, ends with "original purchaser", must return to original US dealer, blah blah blah

I just dealt with Elcan [Canadian] and that was a cluster F. Don't want to deal with another uncooperative company.

I have a vortex PST on mine if you can save some extra money that is the way to go. If not I would go with the Super Sniper.

The Vortex PST is looking mighty nice... For the non-FFP version, what magnification setting is the mil reticle accurate to estimate range?

Follow-up... I gave in and ordered the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X! Not sure anything can beat it at the price (or reputation in online reviews). I have never seen a product get such high reviews across the board. I'm excited to get it mounted on my 700 SPS tactical and hit the range. Have a bunch of ammo to test as well. Will post review once I receive it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmoney911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex PST is looking mighty nice... For the non-FFP version, what magnification setting is the mil reticle accurate to estimate range? </div></div>
10X it also has stops for 5X, 3.3X and 2.5X which allows you to do a little math to get your ranges and hold overs.

Thanks Biner626.

I just got my scope in and first off, gotta give it up to Camera Land Sports Optics! I chose 2nd day air last night at 6:30pm EST and they overnighted it to me and they dropped in a $35 gift card! If that's not customer appreciation, I don't know what is.

Now on to the scope. The scope in hand feels extremely well built. The glass is crystal clear and the mag/turrets have a nice feel to them. Great fit and finish all around! Now all I need is my rings to arrive and I am ready for the range.