• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for Ruger Precision 338 Lapua

tatersf1126

Rakk187
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2019
West Lafayette, IN
Hello,

I am looking for a good optic to pair with a recently purchased RPR 338 Lapua. I am not a competition shooter, so purchasing a tier one optic doesn't really make too much sense for someone like me. With that, I assume it puts me in the > $1,200 bracket. The three choices I've narrowed it down to are a :
  1. Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50
  2. Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21x50
  3. Any other considerations from this group
As of now, I have two entry level "precision" rifles with pretty decent optics on them. I've tossed around the idea of putting my VUDU 5-25 on the 338, and maybe getting something with less magnification/elevation adjustment on my Remington 700. My two current setups are:
  1. Bergara HMR 6.5 creedmoor w/ a Steiner Military 4-16x50mm (mil-dot G2B) optic [this thing is a tank]
  2. Remington 700 built custom rifle .308 w/ 5-25x50 VUDU (H59) optic

Note: Hopefully I am not opening a can of worms here, but there is a great amount of knowledge on this forum, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Shane T.

I'd look at the DMR2 Pro over the standard DMR2. The difference in glass quality is pretty significant compared to the cost difference.

How far are you planning to stretch the 338 to? Depending on your max distance, you may need/want more magnification than 21-25x.

I'd look at the DMR2 Pro over the standard DMR2. The difference in glass quality is pretty significant compared to the cost difference.

How far are you planning to stretch the 338 to? Depending on your max distance, you may need/want more magnification than 21-25x.

Thanks for the input.

I suppose my philosophy would be to match the capabilities of the gun to the optic. I have property to shoot on, so no limitations there in terms of distance. Full disclosure, I am new to shooting out to longer distances (< 800-1,000 yards) but wouldn't want my equipment to be the limiting factor.

On a side note: I have a 40% off coupon for Eotech. I was looking at the 8-30x50 SFP scope, but wasn't really to sure how I felt about the SFP aspect of it. Hell, I have a rangefinder and as long as I know which magnification to be on, I could still range estimate with the moa reticle they provide. Just another thought if the 21-25x magnification might be a bit less than ideal.

I will also look into the DMR2 Pro. I wasn't aware of it. I've seen HDMR, DMR II before, but not the Pro. Thanks!

Thanks for the input.

I suppose my philosophy would be to match the capabilities of the gun to the optic. I have property to shoot on, so no limitations there in terms of distance. Full disclosure, I am new to shooting out to longer distances (< 800-1,000 yards) but wouldn't want my equipment to be the limiting factor.

On a side note: I have a 40% off coupon for Eotech. I was looking at the 8-30x50 SFP scope, but wasn't really to sure how I felt about the SFP aspect of it. Hell, I have a rangefinder and as long as I know which magnification to be on, I could still range estimate with the moa reticle they provide. Just another thought if the 21-25x magnification might be a bit less than ideal.

I'll be honest - if you're still building experience inside 1k, I'd suggest shelving the 338 for a bit while you spend more time with your other rifles. 338 really doesn't start to come into its own until you're well beyond 1k yards, and your current 6.5 is more than capable of getting you out to 1200-1400 yards consistently. Once you're comfortable and proficient at that 1200-1400 range, you will have been able to save up more for a higher magnification optic for your 338, and you'll have more experience to help you shoot consistently at those distances.

I'd suggest saving up some more money and look really hard at the Bushnell XRS2. I have a pair of them, and I have used one of mine with my 6.5 SAUM to reach 1710 yards without issue. They have great glass, track reliably, return to zero like a champ, and they handle recoil without issue. Hell, it was the scope Robert used to win the King of 2 Miles last year, so it'll do just fine with your 338.

I'll be honest - if you're still building experience inside 1k, I'd suggest shelving the 338 for a bit while you spend more time with your other rifles. 338 really doesn't start to come into its own until you're well beyond 1k yards, and your current 6.5 is more than capable of getting you out to 1200-1400 yards consistently. Once you're comfortable and proficient at that 1200-1400 range, you will have been able to save up more for a higher magnification optic for your 338, and you'll have more experience to help you shoot consistently at those distances.

I'd suggest saving up some more money and look really hard at the Bushnell XRS2. I have a pair of them, and I have used one of mine with my 6.5 SAUM to reach 1710 yards without issue. They have great glass, track reliably, return to zero like a champ, and they handle recoil without issue. Hell, it was the scope Robert used to win the King of 2 Miles last year, so it'll do just fine with your 338.

Great advice. I suppose I can spend some more time behind the 6.5 first. Hopefully the weather starts to warm up a bit out here in Indiana so I can get back out to my range. I just purchased the Bergara 6.5 and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Looking forward to it, no doubt.

I'll look into the Bushnell XRS II. Would you recommend the H59 reticle on it, since I'm already using one on my 700 (which I haven't had a change to use yet either)? Or the G3 since it's the only one with illumination?

Great advice. I suppose I can spend some more time behind the 6.5 first. Hopefully the weather starts to warm up a bit out here in Indiana so I can get back out to my range. I just purchased the Bergara 6.5 and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Looking forward to it, no doubt.

I'll look into the Bushnell XRS II. Would you recommend the H59 reticle on it, since I'm already using one on my 700 (which I haven't had a change to use yet either)? Or the G3 since it's the only one with illumination?

I run the G3 reticles in my XRS2s and my DMR2 Pro, as I find the Horus options to be entirely too busy. I can easily hold .1 on windage and elevation on the G3 if needed, but it does require more practice to be able to hold that precisely with the .5mil hash marks. To me, the clearer field of view is worth the trade off of not having .2 hash marks. I can take or leave the floating dot, as well, but some people love them. That said, if you already use and like the H59, there's nothing wrong with running one - they're just not my preference.
For illumination, I would honestly skip it. The G3i reticle has a thicker center than the non-illuminated G3, and at the distances your 338 would really be useful, the finer center on the crosshair will be useful. Plus I don't really find the illumination all that useful except for low-light predator/varmint hunting.

I agree with sticking with what you have and learning them better. Buying a big bore does not mean your hit percentage will drastically increase at range. Wind is wind, you know it or you don’t. I have not 1, but 2 338 Lapua rifles A standard and an Ackley. I haven’t shot them in years. Why? Because constant hits with a 308 at 1200 yards is cheaper to practice than shooting the Lapua at 1800.

I have both the HDMR2 and the PST Gen 2. I prefer the Bushnell scope and the H59. The PST is on one of my 22lr. Nothing wrong with it. I just like the feel of the Bushnell better. No point in getting the H59 if your not going to learn how to use it. I’m not big on illumination. Just haven’t ever found the need for it. Hope this helps. Good luck

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I agree with sticking with what you have and learning them better. Buying a big bore does not mean your hit percentage will drastically increase at range. Wind is wind, you know it or you don’t. I have not 1, but 2 338 Lapua rifles A standard and an Ackley. I haven’t shot them in years. Why? Because constant hits with a 308 at 1200 yards is cheaper to practice than shooting the Lapua at 1800.

I have both the HDMR2 and the PST Gen 2. I prefer the Bushnell scope and the H59. The PST is on one of my 22lr. Nothing wrong with it. I just like the feel of the Bushnell better. No point in getting the H59 if your not going to learn how to use it. I’m not big on illumination. Just haven’t ever found the need for it. Hope this helps. Good luck

Thanks for the input. Theoretically, I understand how to use the H59. I've shot out to 800-1,000 before in my designated marksmanship class I took in the Army back in 2012. With that said, I am far from proficient at it. This Ruger Precision 338 was definitely an impulse buy, but at $1,200 brand new, I couldn't pass it up. I may be getting ahead of myself in trying to throw an optic on it too soon. I have no problems waiting a bit until after I get more time on my 308 and 6.5. Plus, I could save a bit more. This obsession with long range shooting is fairly new. I blame it on Snipers Hide. ha

Thanks for the input. Theoretically, I understand how to use the H59. I've shot out to 800-1,000 before in my designated marksmanship class I took in the Army back in 2012. With that said, I am far from proficient at it. This Ruger Precision 338 was definitely an impulse buy, but at $1,200 brand new, I couldn't pass it up. I may be getting ahead of myself in trying to throw an optic on it too soon. I have no problems waiting a bit until after I get more time on my 308 and 6.5. Plus, I could save a bit more. This obsession with long range shooting is fairly new. I blame it on Snipers Hide. ha

One of us..... one of us....

Reactions: HMRamateur
The two optics I would look at in your price range are the Burris XTRii or the Tract Toric HD. If you shop around you can pick up one of the XTRii for around $800 and they are pretty bulletproof in my experience. The Tract Toric HD is really more of a tier one optic with a price tag around $1200. They frequently run 10% off deals bringing it well inside your budget. The scope is absolutely amazing for the money. Almost everyone I know who has used one of mine has bought one or is saving up to buy one. They are just that good.

The two optics I would look at in your price range are the Burris XTRii or the Tract Toric HD. If you shop around you can pick up one of the XTRii for around $800 and they are pretty bulletproof in my experience. The Tract Toric HD is really more of a tier one optic with a price tag around $1200. They frequently run 10% off deals bringing it well inside your budget. The scope is absolutely amazing for the money. Almost everyone I know who has used one of mine has bought one or is saving up to buy one. They are just that good.

You should create a Toric review post. Pics, discussion of adjustments, sensors, use cases where it really shines, etc.

I thought about it but there are quite a few good reviews already out there. All the reviews I have read say basically the same thing though. Alpha glass in a budget priced optic. I know I love mine.

i have a Zeiss Conquest 6-20 mildot on my 700 PSS 338 Lapua, figured you cant scrimp on glass with that beast and am happy with the Clarity and performance of it.