• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for SBR 556?

I am kind of in agreement with @Docsherm on this. My general opinion is dot or dot + magnifier on 11.5" or shorter. 12.5" - 14.5" dot + magnifier or LPVO. 14.5" - 16" GP rifle LPVO 1-8 or 1-10. If running more of a precision roll / DMR 2-10 or 3-18 with a 12:00 dot.

I'm having this debate as well with a 12.5" SBR. Currently uses an RDO/3x magnifier but really undersells the capable accuracy of the rifle when you're range plinking, paper punching. It'll group as well as my 16" precision build, at least out to 100 yards. I have the PLXc 1-8 hopefully coming in next month (back ordered) and it'll be interesting to see how useful vs. cumbersome I find it on the 12.5". I purchased it for a 16" rifle but could see running it on the SBR, no question. But...completely different from a real-world CQB function where your life depends on it.

The weight of the RDO and 3X magnifier is almost the same as the PLXc itself but not including the mount for the PLXc which will add about 5.5oz. I don't necessarily understand the FOV issue as you're shooting with both eyes open. I've not used an Eotech to really experience the difference vs what I run now. I'm also left eye dominant but look through the RDO with my right so maybe that's why I don't have an issue with it. I also have a cheap 1-4x which I found fairly effective on the SBR.

Plus, Chris Hemsworth is using an LVPO on an SBR in Extraction2 so it must be the right choice. Wait! I take that back. It's def a recce (tower scene). Wait! He just used it in a CQB situation. Garage scene. I'm so confused.

And just for the record, Chris has not touched that magnification lever once (yet).

In the end, everything is a compromise so just buy it all and adapt as necessary. This is the way.

• Haha
Reactions: tex68w
Have a few SbR‘d lowers, and my answer is ‘it depends’ … what do you want to do with this rifle? I have multiple uppers for each lower for slightly different needs.

For example, this one’s a 300 BLK upper in a ‘fits in a tennis racket bag’ PDW form, but no problems taking the MRO out to 100 yards. I do a 50-yd zero for supers, and 25-yd zero for subs. This one is fed almost 100% subsonic ammo.

i-tBKH8NZ-X3.jpg

One of my favorites is this 5.56 with an ACOG and stacked RMR; perfect for heads up shooting on NVGs. Once I shoot this barrel out, I’ll also swap the hand guard for something with a rail and get a nice IR laser to go with this optic duo. But I just love shooting this one like it is for now…

i-76m5zRm-X3.jpg

…also have a 300BLK upper for that one; but with a (now) old school Leupy MK4 1.5-5 FFP with the 300BLK reticle. May swap scope mounts and add a offset red dot to this one…have grown fond of that setup with an LPVO:

i-NfgsX9g-X3.jpg

Edit: meant add this 12.5” 5.56 upper in as an example…rapidly becoming my favorite AR combo (LPVO plus offset red dot or offset iron sights)… Heavy as hell though, especially with S&B glass, LoL

i-Vzmm3ZM-X5.jpg

Here’s another 300BLK upper with a red dot and magnifier on a flip up qd mount…again, horses for courses, and this one is almost identical to another one in 5.56 sitting in a safe at my son’s house; 10.5” barrel on the 5.56 upper vs. 8.5” here though:

IMG_4796.jpeg

…have a few others, but they’re basically variants on these themes; my son likes Eotech red dots, well, holographic sights to be precise, but they look ‘fuzzy’ to me, so I typically use Aimpoint or Trijicon…or cheap Primary Arms micro dots like posted above. They work great for the $$, but is it sacrilege to pair a PA red dot with an Eotech magnifier and Unity mounts? LoL

Bottom line: For an SBR, I like red dots, with or without a magnifier, or LPVOs paired with some form of offset red dot or irons for close up work….YMMV.

Last edited:
Have a few SbR‘d lowers, and my answer is ‘it depends’ … what do you want to do with this rifle? I have multiple uppers for each lower for slightly different needs.

For example, this one’s a 300 BLK upper in a ‘fits in a tennis racket bag’ PDW form, but no problems taking the MRO out to 100 yards. I do a 50-yd zero for supers, and 25-yd zero for subs. This one is fed almost 100% subsonic ammo.

i-tBKH8NZ-X3.jpg

One of my favorites is this 5.56 with an ACOG and stacked RMR; perfect for heads up shooting on NVGs. Once I shoot this barrel out, I’ll also swap the hand guard for something with a rail and get a nice IR laser to go with this optic duo. But I just love shooting this one like it is for now…

i-76m5zRm-X3.jpg

…also have a 300BLK upper for that one; but with a (now) old school Leupy MK4 1.5-5 FFP with the 300BLK reticle. May swap scope mounts and add a offset red dot to this one…have grown fond of that setup with an LPVO:

i-NfgsX9g-X3.jpg

Edit: meant add this 12.5” 5.56 upper in as an example…rapidly becoming my favorite AR combo (LPVO plus offset red dot or offset iron sights)… Heavy as hell though, especially with S&B glass, LoL

i-Vzmm3ZM-X5.jpg

Here’s another 300BLK upper with a red dot and magnifier on a flip up qd mount…again, horses for courses, and this one is almost identical to another one in 5.56 sitting in a safe at my son’s house; 10.5” barrel on the 5.56 upper vs. 8.5” here though:

View attachment 8164888

…have a few others, but they’re basically variants on these themes; my son likes Eotech red dots, well, holographic sights to be precise, but they look ‘fuzzy’ to me, so I typically use Aimpoint or Trijicon…or cheap Primary Arms micro dots like posted above. They work great for the $$, but is it sacrilege to pair a PA red dot with an Eotech magnifier and Unity mounts? LoL

Bottom line: For an SBR, I like red dots, with or without a magnifier, or LPVOs paired with some form of offset red dot or irons for close up work….YMMV.
I'll buy that heavy S&B off you!

• Haha
Reactions: 91Eunozs
Aimpoint PRO. Can buy two of them for what the T1 costs.
I also have an older NF NXS 1-4x24 Compact, which is about perfect. Sadly, discontinued.

I have been an aimpoint user for a long time, mostly t2 on a unity riser. But I just recently aquired an eotech exps 3 with a unity riser and I got to tell you I like it a lot . The eotech is definitely better with nvg and the reticle is faster for me to pick up in cqb vs the t2. As far as which I am going to keep. Well I am going to keep both. Each has its pros and cons.

Ended up with a PA PLxC 1-8x on mine, 12.5". I have RDO's and magnifiers that I can switch over to but for general use between load development, range and practice, it's highly functional and checks all my boxes. Bout the same weight as an RDO and magnifier and at 1X it's better IMO, than a reflex red dot as the barrel just vanishes and it has a very wide sight picture. Has better eye relief and eye box vs. a magnifier as well.