• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for semi auto 308; can a Nightforce F1 be beat?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Looking for an optic for a semi auto KAC SR 25 and keep coming back to the Nightforce F1; can it be beat when considering how it holds up, its weight and size, as well as the clarity/mechanical quality?

I have 2 other NF's and know they can take me dragging them around outside and the glass is good. FFP is a must as I almost always hold, and the 15x high end is fine for a 308 especially given the jump in weight when you start going over it. The only other thing that comes to mind is that there is supposed to be a new Steiner 3-15 T5xi coming out this year I may want to wait for but am worried that it'll weight a ton like the Steiners tend to do. I also want to stay away from 'too much scope' and would rather go smaller than bigger.

Any other suggestions while I kick this around to make sure I end up getting what I need the first go around?

I have 2 Bushnell Elite ERS on my 2 gassers 308 and 6.5 creed. I really do like them and I love the G2 reticle. If you favor holding off as I do, the G2 is a great reticle for you. I know they can take a bit of a beating. I don't baby these rifles.

They can easily be beat. Leupold Mark 6 3-18 with H58/59. You won't go back. I sold two F1s and replaced them with MK6s. I actually can't think of a single advantage the NF would have on a MK6. That said the F1 was the shit 3 years ago when no one else had anything that would compete. Times change though...

They can easily be beat. Leupold Mark 6 3-18 with H58/59. You won't go back. I sold two F1s and replaced them with MK6s. I actually can't think of a single advantage the NF would have on a MK6. That said the F1 was the shit 3 years ago when no one else had anything that would compete. Times change though...

That's actually pretty interesting. It's lighter as well.

Never thought to even look at Leupold as the newer ones I saw that came out (forget which) were like $4k or something ridiculous.

Only downside to this is I don't like any of the reticles (not a Horus fan) which is a partial selling point if Steiner can deliver on the new 3-15 with an MSR (have the 5-25 with the MSR already) but the Leupold has me at least looking now. How is the clarity, did they get better glass? Any MK4 I had ever looked at was nothing special; did they finally change this?

For size and weight the new 2.5-10 is awesome. I have the full size ffp too but really like the compact. And I also havethe bbushy g2 and it has impressed me as well.

Good luck in your search sir

That's actually pretty interesting. It's lighter as well.

Never thought to even look at Leupold as the newer ones I saw that came out (forget which) were like $4k or something ridiculous.

Only downside to this is I don't like any of the reticles (not a Horus fan) which is a partial selling point if Steiner can deliver on the new 3-15 with an MSR (have the 5-25 with the MSR already) but the Leupold has me at least looking now. How is the clarity, did they get better glass? Any MK4 I had ever looked at was nothing special; did they finally change this?

The glass is awesome. I like it better than the NF. Clarity is great throughout the variable mag range. The CMR-W reticle might be an option if you don't prefer Horus reticles. You have either the M5B2 turrets or the new C2 low profile turrets. Some don't like the B2, I love the larger turrets. Just my personal preference.

The March is ridiculous. Great all around optic. Gets a little pricey, but so is the S&B Ultra Short which is probably my favorite.

If it can, I'm not aware of it. Great tough reliable scopes and the perfect mag range for gas guns or just general purpose LR work.

On a 308 gas gun that needs to take a beating, I can't imagine another scope I'd rather have than a Nightforce F1.

If you're military then you can get a really good discount with the Leupy Mk6 3-18 M5C2 Illum TMR. I think that it's price point was very near or slightly under what the mil price is for the NF F1. That makes the Leupy the clear winner for me (assuming money no object). Also, if weight isn't an issue then the 3-18 Vortex Gen II can be had for even less. This scope also is also a better value than the F1 if we are comparing FFP scopes.

My choice would be the NF 2.5-10x42. I know it's SFP but for a 308 gas gun it will do the job and this scope has all the features the rest of the compact NXS line doesn't have.

If you're military then you can get a really good discount with the Leupy Mk6 3-18 M5C2 Illum TMR. I think that it's price point was very near or slightly under what the mil price is for the NF F1. That makes the Leupy the clear winner for me (assuming money no object). Also, if weight isn't an issue then the 3-18 Vortex Gen II can be had for even less. This scope also is also a better value than the F1 if we are comparing FFP scopes.

My choice would be the NF 2.5-10x42. I know it's SFP but for a 308 gas gun it will do the job and this scope has all the features the rest of the compact NXS line doesn't have.

Strongly considering the Leupold now as well. Never thought I'd say that again lol

I have the NF 2.5-10 (smaller one) on my Mk12 and tried it with a 308 beforehand and seem to like a bit more magnification as an option as I usually leave it around 12x or so. I also hold more than not so SFP is annoying to use. The 3-18 Leupold, assuming I can like any of the reticles and the glass is up to par as mentioned seems to be a nice balance of weight (23.6 oz) versus the F1 (30 oz) and its almost 4 inches shorter. The Vortex at 47 oz is a bit on the heavy side and doesn't really have any benefits other than price.

Last edited:
    The turrets on the MK6 blows, I was going to buy one until I used them. They're super mushy with not enough resistance. The pinch knob can also be a pain depending on how the knob is positioned when you go back to it. The glass is ok and it's nice and compact but the negatives outweigh those for me.

This. I am running a mk6 w/H58 on my 16" REPR with a T1 at a 45*. The versatility is awesome!

The turrets on the MK6 blows, I was going to buy one until I used them. They're super mushy with not enough resistance. The pinch knob can also be a pain depending on how the knob is positioned when you go back to it. The glass is ok and it's nice and compact but the negatives outweigh those for me.

I would agree that the B2 turrets aren't the ideal turret design. But if it was a big enough deal I'd just buy the MK6 with C2 turrets. I have one of each, and surprisingly, I like the B2 turrets over the C2. It's nothing more than personal preference and thinking about the optic in the context of where you're priorities are when it comes to ergos, reticle, illum, size (weight and length), adj range, available mounts, preferred CL height, forward offset req's, etc. The MK 6 is the best choice for me when taking all of the above into consideration.

The B2 turrets aren't great, the C5 would be the tits, if you can find one. If you were scoping a 20" rifle, the F1 would be a top pick, weight/size no big deal. On the 16" EMC/ECC the Mk6 is ok to me, I really don't dial a lot, usually shorter ranges, can if I want. I got a smoking deal on the ilum TMR, lighter, smaller, so…

Nightforce C356 NXS 3.5-15x50mmF1 HS, 0-Stop 1/4 MOA LV.5 ($2,467.00) SALE PRICE $1900.00. It comes with 1.25" rings these are to low for AR so you would need a riser rail or taller ring setup.
    http://www.cstactical.com/1275/c356-nightforce-nxs-35-15x50mmf1-1-4-moa-lv5.html
    C356_Nightforce__4f47f2b21c093.jpg

lv.5ill.png

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

+1. I had a Hensoldt 3-12x56 I moved around from a SCAR17 to a 716. Even though it is short, and relatively light, I just didn't like such a big scope on a gas gun. The new NF 2.5-10x42 is ideal.

I tried a friends H59 about a month ago and had one of my own by the end of that same week.

SR25 is inbound and I'm still staring at the Mark 6 with the lower profile C turrets. The only thing making me hold off at this point is the reticle choices are meh.

The TREMOR 2 looks like its going to give me an epileptic seizure and I won't use most of it, let alone I'll probably get lost in it somewhere.
    The TMR is nothing special but its a simple mil reticle that works.
    The CMR-W I'm on the fence about. I think it's stupid to make a reticle designed around a specific round (175g, 2545 fps) but then again, that's roughly what I'll be shooting and it may actually benefit me. On the other side, its dumb to buy a reticle designed around elevation and wind holds that may not actually work for you and you practically ignore 50% of your reticle.

if I do go for it I'd probably do the TMR, but I'm not too excited about it.

After reading a bunch, I'm waiting to see what the new Steiners look like, they're supposed to be lighter but if you go for the MK6, let me us know what you think

I would never try to talk someone out of a scope they want to buy, it's their money....but..if anyone here thinks that the Mk6 is the equal to a F1 they haven't been paying attention. I've tested a couple different Mk6 scopes and about the only good thing I can say about them is they both would return to zero, everything in between....not so much. Been there, done that, got the video.

I replaced a NF F1 with a March 3-24x42 and haven't looked back. You can also get some killer deals on 3-12 Steiner scopes right now.

Until the new Steiners are available the NF F-1 remains my choice, based on price, quality and toughness.