• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Optic for shotgun?

tomme boy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2007
Iowa 52732
Looking for a scope to put on my shotty for deer hunting. Max power of 7. Something with a lot of eye relief. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Re: Optic for shotgun?

My shotgun for Wisconsin, Benelli M1S90 with Hastings barrel, pic rail, Leupold MKIV rings and Leupold MKIV 3.5-10x40 with TMR illuminated reticle and M1 knobs.

Works great in lowlight, failing light or heavily shaded draws.

5phcb7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't that alot of scope for just a shotgun? A 1000USD scope? </div></div>

Please refer to my thread on Wisconsin scrapes and rubs from my hunt last year, the pictures will put in in perspective.

I'm not that good, so I want all the help I can get...hehe

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1134163

For the OP, sorry if this seems like a hijack of your thread, ...just trying to help out with some perspective.

Nikon omega, they have two versions though. One has parallax set at 75yds and the other is set at 100yds. 1.65-5x36. 5" eye relief, sub $200 I think, 100moa internal adjustments, finger turn knobs with covers. Have it mounted to a Ruger #1 in .45-70 which digests some stout loads... BDC 250 reticle

I agree that the MKIV may not be ideal for deer hunting with slugs, but to each his own. I would rather have too much than not enough, LOL.

If I were looking for glass for a slug gun, I would want a variable in the 3-9 or 2.5-10. Probably would look at something from Vortex, because what I have seen so far from them indicates they are great bang for the buck.

hey sas sniper which eotechis that on your m4? looking for that kind of setup right now myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

5phcb7.jpg

</div></div>

roflmfao sorry dude i am sure it works well its just that i have never seen
a tactical shotgun on that level

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fighthard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

5phcb7.jpg

</div></div>

roflmfao sorry dude i am sure it works well its just that i have never seen
a tactical shotgun on that level </div></div>

Black = Tactical. WTF? You have guys on this board hunting deer with $8,500.00 rifle/scope combos and hogs with $6,000 AR's with NVDs and suppressors and your pissing on my leg about a Leupold scope on an $800.00 shotgun.

(I was gonna rant...but this is not my thread.)

To the OP and everyone, good luck hunting this year.

For me, a deer shotgun isn't needed for long distances. I have several slug guns and they all wear relatively mundane dot scopes. Nothing expensive or exotic. My region has gradually been opened to centerfire rifle for taking deer (I've been told several times that the Governor signed the bill for Schuyler County the 17th of this month), so I also have the option of using my .44mag lever gun and a pair of .30-'06 bolt guns. I also have a pair of .280's, sporter and varmint barreled. The .280's and .30-'06's have variable scopes and are zeroed for 100yd, the rest are dot scoped and sighted at 70yd.

This area is largely forest, and doesn't present a lot of long shots.

A hunt or two in brush and forest with a magnifying scope will sell you quickly on the speed and ease of using the dot scope. Not for long shots, but nothing better up close and fast.

Greg

I would love to have a MK4 for a scope. But that is not going to happen. That is a sweet setup. I think I am going to try to find a fixed 4x. I had a 3x9 on my muzzleloader and out of the 15 deer I took with it, it never left the 3 setting. So I think a 4x will work just fine. I was also considering a 2x red dot.

There is really no reason to go with anymore than a reddot or a 3-4x small scope on a shotgun. It's a short range system, usually under 100 yards. Also, alot of the time there is brush involved and a high power scope will do more harm than good. IOR makes a good little 3x scope that would work great, they also have a new reddot with elev. & windage knobs. (cheap too!) Leupold has a new one too, it's called a "Prismatic" and looks like it would be great on a shotgun. Just my opinion, but inless you only hunt in an open field I think you'll be sorry you put a scope with higher power on it. I would say 3x max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is really no reason to go with anymore than a reddot or a 3-4x small scope on a shotgun. It's a short range system, usually under 100 yards. Also, alot of the time there is brush involved and a high power scope will do more harm than good. IOR makes a good little 3x scope that would work great, they also have a new reddot with elev. & windage knobs. (cheap too!) Leupold has a new one too, it's called a "Prismatic" and looks like it would be great on a shotgun. Just my opinion, but inless you only hunt in an open field I think you'll be sorry you put a scope with higher power on it. I would say 3x max. </div></div>

Try hunting in a region with fields out to 500 yards and a state mandated shotgun regulation in the county. I get to hunt in heavy brush, and thinned out forest as well, but when you get 8-9 days to punch a monster bucks ticket, you may want to think about your ability to extend your range out to 200 yds.

FWIW my setup shoots 1 MOA with the Federal Sabots at 100yds.

I use the lower power setting in 90% of the situations I encounter, but when I have to glass something quickly with the shotgun versus the binos, the 10X feature is handy.

My .02

A MK4 for a shotgun is an unusual combination. A low power scope with a wide field of view would maybe be more practical. 200 yards is not really a long shot requiring high magnification.Deer are fairly big critters.

I have the Leupold prismatic 1x on my Benelli SBE. It is really a nice setup for deer hunting. It makes for a nice compromise between a scoped gun for stand hunting/longer range and open sights for brush/driving. I have only hunted with it one season so far but killed one deer at 100+ yds and the other at 15 yds off a drive.

I'd take a good look at the Millet DMS-1. Nice package and SWFA has them with a mount combo for a touch over $200. My brother just ordered the package for his SG / Black Powder combo.

Cheers,

Doc

ill give what Doc is saying. I had the Millet DMS on a brush gun and it wa everything i needed. Cheap, good quality, good overall performance with the 30-30 it was on