• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Help / 308 AR-10 / Intro Precision-Hunting

4x4strongman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2021
Indiana
After quite some time I have finally moved to 308 in my AR platform rifle. I have been trying to do my due diligence in research on good scopes that would suit it well --- 308 / 18 inch barrel.

The purpose of the optic is introduction into precision / long distance / and maybe some hunting. I think I am favoring FFP and illumination.

I am looking for Japanese or German glass, Preferring 2-4x magnification on the low end and anywhere from 16-25x on the higher end. I don't imagine myself needing anything above the 25, but I am more than willing to look at anything.

I am looking for recommendations / user reviews on higher quality optics, preferably with some durability to them aswell. Anything from Athlon, Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, etc.... Anything really good quality.

So far I am favoring the NX8 2.5-20 followed by the MARK5HD 3.6-18. I think these two magnification ranges fit what I am looking for well and provide the durability I would like.
I would also consider the NX8 4-32 and 5HD 5-25 if someone can help me understand they might be better.

I haven't looked much at Swaro/Zeiss because from what I have heard they are a bit lacking in the durability department. But I am more than open to recommendations for them.
I am however thinking of picking up a Conquest V4 SFP for next hunting season, if I participate.

Looking to stay in the 2k range on the high end, but if something is perfect for me I can go to 3k about.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks everyone.

Reactions: JDB55
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

Reactions: JDB55
Both the 18x MK5 and 18x XTR3 are better options than the NX8. Far less finicky, better eyebox, parallax, edge to edge glass clarity.

The XTR3 has significantly better FOV than the MK5, a hair better than the NX8.

Reactions: Usmcsomerville
Both the 18x MK5 and 18x XTR3 are better options than the NX8. Far less finicky, better eyebox, parallax, edge to edge glass clarity.

The XTR3 has significantly better FOV than the MK5, a hair better than the NX8.
I totally agree on the nx8 line being finicky and you will be messing with the parallax ALOT. I owned both the 2.5-20 and 4-32. The eye box of the 4-32 is a little more forgiving, but they leave a lot to be desired for a $2k optic.

I think any of the higher end scopes would suit it well. It’s al gone come down to reticle choice in my opinion.
I’m currently running a S&B 5-25 on my AR10 but have also ran a Gen 2 vortex razor 4.5-27. Plenty of good options from any of the manufacturers you listed. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them so again it’s all gonna come down to reticle choice and price point to fit your needs.

Reactions: Stoweit
I just put a Vortex Razor LHT FFP 4.5-22x50 on my ar10 308 and I can not recommend it enough; 21 ish ounces, about 13 inches long, japanese glass/build quality...it's a perfect "crossover" scope that checks the boxes but isn't a boat anchor. I really like the XLR2 reticle as well. Just throwing it out there, I did a lot of research and listened to a lot of "scope guys" and this is what I came up with for a 2k or under budget scope.

ATACR 4-16x42 seems to check those boxes.

FWIW I first had a MK5 3.6-18 (TMR non-illum) on a REPR and really liked that setup. Then I got a good deal on a used ATACR here which seemed more of a fit on the AR10, so I moved the MK5 to a bolt gun.