• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic/Mount For An SBR Build

GracieSymon

Private
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2009
Houston, TX
I am building an AR-15 10.5” SBR, and I am looking for assistance in selecting an optic. This project is an outgrowth of a free cosmetic 2nd stripped lower that came with a Noveske N4 Light 5.56 rifle I purchased a while back. Noveske Rifleworks might consider this receiver a 2nd but in all regards it looks flawless to me, including cosmetically.

A sidebar before the proceeding continues. To build this SBR I am registering the free Noveske cosmetic 2nd stripped N4 lower I previously received on a Form 1, and purchasing a 10.5” Noveske N4 Stainless Upper with VIS. Ironically, Noveske is again offering a free cosmetic 2nd stripped N4 lower with the purchase of any rifle or complete upper. When I get finished, I will be back to where I started.

Now back to my question. Ideally I would like to position the optical centerline of the sight approximately 1.05±.05” over the top of the 1913 rail. That is lower than what works best for most people but that is what works for me with an AR-15; maybe my cranial anatomy is a bit different. I am considering the following optics and mount combinations:

1. An Aimpoint CompM4 or M4s with the Aimpoint QRP2 mount without the spacer. This will position the centerline of the optical axis of the sight 1.2” over the top of the 1913 rail. The lowest comparable LaRue mount has a height of 1.4”.
2. An Aimpoint Micro T-1 with a LaRue Tactical Aimpoint Micro QD 661 mount. This will position the centerline of the optical axis of the sight approximately .85” over the top of the 1913 rail.
3. A Trijicon TA11 Series Scope with a GDI mount. I do not know the height of this optics and mount combination.
4. One of the three S&B Short Dot Model scopes mounted on one of the following options:
• A US Optics mount to position the optical axis of the S&B Short Dot Scope approximately 1.2” over the top of the 1913 rail, or
• A set of appropriate height (approximately 1” high) Badger Ordinance rings, or
• A Badger Ordinance one-piece ring mount, also approximately 1” high.

Given the low mount heights the only BUISes that I can think of that might work are the Troy Micro BattleSights and the Diamondhead Lo-Pro sights. I will have to do more research to decide what I will do, if anything.

To complete the details of the build, the Noveske 10.5” upper comes with a Noveske KX3 flash suppressor. I built up the lower with a Magpul UBR stock and Magpul MIAD Grip with an extended trigger guard. I will probably use a forward vertical grip, but at this time, I am not sure which one I will use. In the past, I have used TangoDown FVGs, but I am leaning towards a Larue FVG because of the versatility it offers in changing the length of the grip, if I use one.

With that background I would like to hear what people think about my potential optics choices or any other optics choices any of you think would be a better or different, and the reasons and criteria for your choices. In addition, if there are any issues I may have missed or anything that anyone wants to add I want to hear it.

Thanks for the help,

Martin

Re: Optic/Mount For An SBR Build

Looks not further than the T1 in a Larue mount. For an SBR there's really no better choice. I would get this and a Surefire X300 and be done with it.

mk18again037CR2.jpg

The other optics you have listed (especially the Short Dot) is going to weigh a ton on this type of rig and really limit it's "flick-ability".

The TA11 will be approximately the same height over bore as the T1, but once again it's huge and is going to weigh a ton. I like this ACOG but only in a 16" or greater AR.

To me an SBR needs to be light, straight forward, and with a 1x paralax free optic.

With all the AR15 build you are doing (it gets addictive), given your circumstances, you may wish to consider standard optics mounting solutions for the selection and variety and go with stock options. Magpul makes some great stocks with variable cheek heights - the CTR (different snap-on risers) and PRS come to mind.

Agree with the other poster, on an SBR, light is right. Remember, this is a CQB gun so you should not need 4x. A T1, M4S or a Triji 1.5x short housing work great. I had a TA33 on one of my SBRs and swapped out - too much magnification for close in work.

I love the S&B as well, but it's on my 3-gun gun and can hit to 300 - the max distance of my 3-gun range. It's on a 16" for the distance, not an SBR.

I'd take the T1 in the LaRue mount. It fits the role of a SBR perfectly. It's light, small, and rugged.

T1 also. If I HAD to have a 1-4x, the trijicon TR24G is almost 7 ounces less that short dot and considerably less in $$$.

Get an Elcan Specter DR. Mount, 1x/4x optic and emergency BUIS all in one package.