• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic Needed for Intro to Precision Shooting course

GS455

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2013
Nashville
I have been plinking away and slamming steel for years with my 20th century, milsurp / battle rifle collection. Rudimentary instruction from friends in the early days plus and trial and error is how I've been running the last many years. Pretty much everything I shoot has to have glass, now, because my eyes are too poor for iron sights. Most of what I have are LPVOs, original "ancient" technology military scopes (think PUs) and other mid to low cost BDC optics. But I feel it's time to take the next step to get the most out of my time and ammo at the range.

I'm in Middle Tennessee and K&M Range has a two-day, introduction to precision shooting class that I'm interested in. By no means am I planning to get up into that world a super expensive, tuned-everything, long range competition type shooting. I do have an RPR in 308 that the course instructor says should be GTG but my high magnification Optics are, according to him, toys. He says I can rent glass for the course but I'm wondering what could be a worthy optic to move up into without spending thousands of dollars. He casually mentioned I could get into something decent for about $2,500 but that is just not a price point I'm willing to invest in (at this time). A buddy of mine has a 50% military discount with Vortex and some others. Wondering what could be a decent mid price option. Then, I guess the other question is going with MOA or MIL type reticles.

My range doesn't go beyond 400 yards but my goal is to learn better contemporary techniques to help me get the most from my scoped collection.

MIL, not MOA

Zeiss LRP S3
Athlon Cronus BTR2
Tract Toric UHD

I would bet your classmates will all be shooting mil type scopes. You can use either but would be simpler and likely more efficient to join the mil crowd. I would think the bottom line Vortex Viper Gen II 5-25 would fill the bill especially if you can get it 50% off. Great course by the way!!

Reactions: Baron23
What IS a price you’re willing to pay? Your buddy can probably get a Vortex Gen 3 for $6-700 less than that $2500 figure, but if that’s still too much then we’re talking about the wrong class of scopes all together.

Vortex Razor + RPR is where a LOT of people have started in this game in the last 7-8 years.

After discount I'm hoping to be in the low $1,000s range.

Apparently he has a line on:
Vortex
Trijicon
Leopold
US Optics
Night Force

Low $1K knocks you out of the XTR Pro, Razor lines, and similar. Not that you NEED to be in those product ranges, but those are among the best value per dollar for the performance.

Reactions: 308pirate
@ -50% I could probably be thinking about a Vortex Razor.

Vortex is definitely @ -50% of MSRP
Leopold is @ -30%

Looking into the others

Reactions: DubfromGA
@ -50% I could probably be thinking about a Vortex Razor.

Vortex is definitely @ -50% of MSRP
Leopold is @ -30%

Looking into the others

You are not getting a Razor for 50% off MSRP and near low $1000s. The MSRP is $3999 for the Gen II Razor. The Gen III is more.

Tell your buddy to get in with Tract mil/vet program and get a Tract Toric ELR 4-25x50. It will be in your price area and one of the nicer scopes you will find in that price range. Has a great reticle and nice glass. It will do everything you need. Also get it in Mil and not moa.

4756D024-F662-4920-9000-7495B7A52850.jpeg

I attended that course 3 years ago. I am going to tell you something you do not want to hear.
1) Do not buy a scope yet
2) Rent a complete K&M rifle and scope system plus use their ammo for 2 days

You will learn a lot at that course and you will see a lot of different rifles, scopes, etc. at that training event. After the course, you will be better qualified to make an educated decision on what gear you need or want.

If you are determined to buy a scope:
1) Get MIL not MOA!
2) Get a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 in MIL with any discount you can. It will get you through the class. Then you can keep it as a primary scope if you like, keep as a backup, put it on a 22 rimfire for NRL, or sell it and get most of your money back.

If you enjoy the class - you will get hooked and you will be buying new rifle in a new caliber and wanting a new scope.

+1

It's maybe a better idea to rent from the instructor (eg a razor), and then buy something after the class.

A razor g2 or g3 and the vortex tree reticle will is usable without alot of practice. Its not the ideal scope for every application due to its very heavy weight, but you aren't going to be rucking your gear around during a typical 2 day intro clinic. At the class, its usually possible to see what everyone is shooting, and try out different glass with your own eyes.

I would consider this if the cost is something like $50-100 or whatever. Thats less than sales tax on a new $1k glass, and its better to get your optic setup with the benefit of hindsight.

Another option depending on where you live is making a trip to a place like Europtic where you can basically try every make and model in person.

While shooting a razor for a couple days might spoil you, its more likely to simply just dissapear. This is a better result and IMHO more of what a good optic feels like when shooting. The purpose is to be transparent, get out of the way, and let you pull the trigger.

The only real 100% thing you need to have is ability to hold zero and track 100% (±1%) so the funtionality as an aiming device is true. Keep in mind, that "good glass" has nothing to do with tracking quality. Tracking is a mechanical property, not an optical one.

Most of the things we talk about with optics are things that annoy us, eg optical problems, reticle problems, turret-feel- problems, etc. After shooting something that baselines correctly, you will have a better sense for what is necessary vs what is luxury vs what is really a PITA for everyday use.

Here you go... All-in for about $1,250...

There are many companies w
After discount I'm hoping to be in the low $1,000s range.

Apparently he has a line on:
Vortex
Trijicon
Leopold
US Optics
Night Force
Sightron has a mil/le discount, not as generous as it used to be, but it is still pretty good.
The SIII PLR 6-24 would be worth a serious look.
When you are shooting a match, you spend most of your time between 12 and 18 power.
There is really no reason to spend extra money on magnification you won't use.
The PLR series is the one you would want, as the other SIII series are geared towards bench and f class and have a narrower field of view and only 5 mils per turn.
If this is for match and range shooting only, the Athlon Midas Tac is a very nice scope for the money.
The Bushnell Match Pro 5-30 should get a look as well

I agree with trying before you buy if that is possible.

If not, Optics Planet has the Vortex PST gen 2 3-15 with EBR-2C mil tree reticle for $570 and there are almost always ~10% off coupons to be had. That is a spectacular scope for the money. They track well, have good glass, and are backed by a no BS warranty. I prefer the 2D over the 2C reticle, but that is a minor thing.

Also, safely practice dry firing and read up on "speed drop" and "quick wind" techniques. Good luck!

Reactions: Lightning8
I wanna thank everyone for their input. Yea, I really need to go there and rent glass for my RPR. I agree I should be able to find some decent glass at or sub $1.5k after the fact, but I'm not going to rent a whole rifle rig. The RPR is what I own and the guy said it would do for the course. If I get "the bug" and think about delving into that world of precision shooting, which is not specifically my goal, I'll have plenty of exposure at the training as a baseline to learn from. That's gonna mean a whole different hobby variant and would probably finally justify setting up my 550 and going down the reloading route.

I know they aren't fully out yet, but I would be looking pretty hard at the new Leupold Mark 4HD line. They look pretty impressive for their price point.

Reactions: JulianD