• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic power question 7-35 vs 5-25

A300fe1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2013
North Carolina
Besides the obvious reasons of cost and the power difference, what are the reasons shooters would opt for a 5-25 over a 7-35 or vice-versa? If cost was equal for both, would everyone choose 7-35 or are there other reasons people would choose the 5-25 power over the 7-35? For you long range guys out there, what are your thoughts?

Imo I like the extra power if available. I tend to run 18-20 in matches but when I’m practicing or testing I’m more like 25-30.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Thanks for the reply. So if you had a 7-35 dialed to 25 power, would you have the same field of view as if you had the 5-25 dialed to 25? I’m full of stupid questions about this subject.

Thanks for the reply. So if you had a 7-35 dialed to 25 power, would you have the same field of view as if you had the 5-25 dialed to 25? I’m full of stupid questions about this subject.
That is not an easy question since the true FOV is dependent on the Apparent FOV of the scopes eyepiece and the magnification setting. The apparent FOV of the scope's eyepiece is a function of its design. Therefore, two scopes dialed to the same magnification may have different true FOV

For the most part the FOV will be the same if comparing similar scopes (ATACR vs ATACR or Mark 5hd vs Mark 5hd). There may be slight differences in some scopes but if it is the same model/line and just a different magnification range then they'll be the same.

The only reason to not go higher magnification would be because you intend to use the lower magnification settings, if this scope is for a purely long range rifle that won't see any hunting use then go higher magnification.

Based on my inexperience, I bought a 3-17x, as I feared with a higher magnification scope, by the time I got the reticle to where it was usable, the magnification would be so powerful that my wobble zone would seem like an earthquake when shooting positional, which would cause me to hesitate to fire.

-Stan

The 5-25 tunnels to the point of it effectively feeling like a 7-25. If you can stomach the cost difference, its the same scope but a higher top end that you aren’t obligated to use. People seem to think you are forced to use the top end, but the reality is even they never go as low as 7x so I really don’t get the “too much” argument when it functions the same as their preferred model.

I have identical ATACR's in 5-25 and 7-35. Most matches get shot at 17x-19x. However, for load development or shooting very long with a spotter, sometimes I do crank the 35x all the way up. I'm not sure it's worth the cost delta, but if I had a magic wand I'd poof the 25x into another 35x.