• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Optic ring height for a PVS 30

elwarpo

Still Learning...
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2011
North of Houston, TX
Ok from my research I have found you want a ring height of 1.5", but what is confusing me is to 20 MOA mount on my RPR. With the slope, would 1.4" rings for a 34mm tube be good? I am looking at the Seekins 1.4" High AR rings in 34mm. I have a Steiner T7xi coming and am still confused.

With pvs-30 I have used ring center every where from 1.375 to 1.55 with no issues and 20 moa bases on all bolt guns with both 0 moa and 20 moa nv mounts in front again with no issues. The pvs-30 collimation is very tolerant.

He's right, I have a Leupold in a 10MOA Larue mount and it's 1.4 or so. It's obviously canted and off center but you can't tell looking through the scope.

The ERA-TAC mounts look nice but expensive. Adj. MOA. 1.5" is the ideal height and that's what the book says I think. I use Badger rings and mounts pretty much for everything now, really great quality for a decent price and they make all sorts of ring caps including SIMRAD mounts and rails for LRF's, cant indicators, levels, etc. They have several good mounts and rings suitable for CNVD's. But any good ring at 1.5" is ideal and even ACOG's work great!

Off point but you can find ARDs for these on Ebay for $65. A nice piece to have for a few reasons actually.

I got an ARC M10 rings in extra-high (1.42"), installed on 20MOA rail and here's how it looks like:

m2cwtzz2am221.jpg

Thinking about getting Badger 1.49" ring for the other rifle and see how well it works.

Old thread, but I just went through something similar. A ring height that put the optic “centered” with the pvs-30 would put the optic too high for comfortable day shooting. After speaking with people with a lot of time behind pvs-30’s and 27’s I was told “as Long as you can see through the optic, then the alignment is good enough”.

My day optic centerline is about .400” below my pvs-30 centerline and my day optic is canted 20 MOA down relative to the pvs-30 (day optic is on a 20 MOA rail while EFR i parallel to the barrel). I have about .3 mil POA/POI shift, which is consistent with “perfectly aligned” setups.

The collimating on the PVS 30’s is VERY tolerant. I’d actually be curious if someone built a rig to test just how tolerant they are. I would imagine you get pretty far out and still retain POA/POI.

Old thread, but I just went through something similar. A ring height that put the optic “centered” with the pvs-30 would put the optic too high for comfortable day shooting. After speaking with people with a lot of time behind pvs-30’s and 27’s I was told “as Long as you can see through the optic, then the alignment is good enough”.

My day optic centerline is about .400” below my pvs-30 centerline and my day optic is canted 20 MOA down relative to the pvs-30 (day optic is on a 20 MOA rail while EFR i parallel to the barrel). I have about .3 mil POA/POI shift, which is consistent with “perfectly aligned” setups.

The collimating on the PVS 30’s is VERY tolerant. I’d actually be curious if someone built a rig to test just how tolerant they are. I would imagine you get pretty far out and still retain POA/POI.
considering they can be hand held in front of your day optic and hold POI....i'd say they are good to go if you can see through it.