• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes optic suggestions for s&w mp-15 sport

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
I sold a couple of sticks today that I haven't used in a awhile and am buying a S&W MP-15 Sport in a couple of days. So looking for recommendations for an optic in the $250-$300 range. I will mostly be using it as a "yote" shooter out to about 300 yds. What do you folks reccomend? I am partial to Vortex as I reaaly like the one I have on my .308 bolt gun.

Re: optic suggestions for s&w mp-15 sport

Look in the sample list on SWFA and see if you can find a used nikon m223. That would be your best bet in that price range. It will also have a bdc that closely matches your ammo. Oh, and it's a monarch. If you are less concerned with the bdc and more concerned with low light, look for a used bushnell elite or regular nikon monarch. If you want to step it up to $399, you absolutely can not beat the zeiss conquest 3-9, and that's brand new for the z-plex reticle. Might be able to find a used one for less. Whatever you do, don't go Chinese to get more features. If you do u will regret it.

+1 for the m223. My buddy purchased one for his Remington sps and it is very impressive. Clear, crisp, lite, with consistent bdc knobs that are pretty much right on at 200 yards with a 100 yd zero using various 223 loads.

I've got a sport on order as well.......I'm going with the vortex strike fire since I don't plan on shooting past 300 with. If you plan on shooting past that, I would go with that m223 Nikon with the bdc in it.

Or, you could get an aim point pro for 399 and get a 3x magnifier which can be moved to the side or just taken off.

Tough choice but I would choose the optic that best fits what you are shooting at and how far away it is.

Woo-Hoo! Picked up my S&W M&P Sport today! Thanks for the replies on glass.. My budget is pretty tight so I think I'll go with a Nikon that I found for around $250.

The new Burris MTAC line looks good. I have the 1-4x and it is real nice. I've got a 1.5-6x on order. Can't wait to get it. They are making another higher power one if you need it. They are 30mm tubes with pretty good glass for the money. Midway has them.

Wher did you get it and how much?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wher did you get it and how much?</div></div>

Which one are you talking about?

Take a look at the HI-LUX 1-4. for the money it's a solid optic.

If my tax return gets me enough I may swap my US Optics 1.8.-10x-37 wuth all the bells and whistles for the TARS scope. It it's from trijicon I know it built like a tank...may cost be about $1500 but that thing just looks ridiculous. Not sure I like the idea of humping even more weight around than I have to. It may be overkill until I get a 338 lapua or something larger.

Trijicon makes some of the best gear out there and everbody on here knows you gotta pay the bucks to get it.

+1 for Aimpoint. Slightly out of the budget, but it works well.
I'm actually on a micro T-1 on my M&P. i can hit smaller-that-letter-sized targets at 300 and even farther when i have the 3x mag on there. Good luck!

Great to hear that your M&P is working well with the T-1. I'm fighting real hard to decide what kind of optic I want. What kind of ammo does your do best with so far??

In order my sight preference is (I've got 30+ days to wait to get the weapon bc they had to order directly from S&W)/
1. Vortex Bright Red Dot Strikefire (only bc its $130 for me and seen it work well)
2. Aimpoint Pro ($399) w a 3x magnifier
3. Trijicon SRS reflex sight....this would be might first choice but it is really expensive...in this case more than what I am paying for my M&P Sport.

In the end, I just want to keep my cqb and transition skills sharp with this thing but still want to hear my favrorite sound when a round hits a steel plate. So, Im keeping my fingers crossed that I get a good shooting rig/

It will be interesting to see how my TBAC 30P-1 works with it....

So with my limited budget, I went with a Nikon 3-9 variable with the BDC reticle. Am i going to need some high mount rings to get past the front sight/gas block?

So, do I need to just use high mount rings or do I need a rail riser?

High should work fine. Might be able to see the fsp a little on 3 power, but not enough to matter. If you try to get any higher you will have to get a cheek riser for your butt stock. The real issue is whether or not u can get enough eye relief with regular scope rings. Many people use one piece scope mounts that extend the front ring over the forearm to get enough eye relief. I have used larue and American defense. I like them both. Problem is they start at around $150. Burris makes one for about $70, and nikon makes one for about $90. I personally don't care for the Burris. The nikon would probably be your best option, being that you are trying to keep the cost down. And it would match your scope. The only scope I have been able to get proper eye relief with on an ar, without a one piece mount, is an IOR. That is because the turrets are set way back near the ocular end of the scope and you can push the scope way forward. Even then, I had the scope as far forward as it would go.

Sorry, I didn't address why I don't like the Burris. Tried one once on an ar-10 and no matter how tight I torqued the screws, the scope would move under recoil. And ar 10's don't have much recoil. They are cheap. I think they are made in china.

Have a MP-15OR and am running a SS 3-9x42 using a GG&G FLT mount. It's a one piece mount and allows for plenty of adjustment.

Center of rings is 1.46" high.

Also run one on my MP15-22 with a Vortex viper 2-7 using the Derlin 1" ring spacers. Works just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RTR Elmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High should work fine. Might be able to see the fsp a little on 3 power, but not enough to matter. If you try to get any higher you will have to get a cheek riser for your butt stock. The real issue is whether or not u can get enough eye relief with regular scope rings. Many people use one piece scope mounts that extend the front ring over the forearm to get enough eye relief. I have used larue and American defense. I like them both. Problem is they start at around $150. Burris makes one for about $70, and nikon makes one for about $90. I personally don't care for the Burris. The nikon would probably be your best option, being that you are trying to keep the cost down. And it would match your scope. The only scope I have been able to get proper eye relief with on an ar, without a one piece mount, is an IOR. That is because the turrets are set way back near the ocular end of the scope and you can push the scope way forward. Even then, I had the scope as far forward as it would go. </div></div>
So are you saying that with even high mount rings I will still get interference from the front sight post?

On 3 power u might see a slight thin blur in the bottom 1/3 of the reticle. It will go completely out of focus as u crank up the magnification. U probably want be able to see it at all by the time u get to 4 power. An ACOG TA31 sits at about the same hight as a regular scope in high rings. It is a fixed 4 power scope and the military sees it fit to put them on M4's and M16's with front sight posts. Trust me it's no big deal. If u go higher, not only will the gun look ridiculous, but u will end up with your chin on the buttstock trying to see out of the scope. If it still bothers u, thin replace the fsp with a low profile gas block or a gas block with a flip up front sight. It's easy to do. 2 pins and an Allen screw.

: )

pinkmp15-22.jpg