• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optical comparison btw SB PMII 5-25x56 and 5-20 ultra short

yej0001

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Northern CA
For those of you with first hand experiences on both these SB scopes, what do you think about the 5-20 ultra short in terms of the glass? I own a couple of 5-25x56 and never had a chance to look through a 5-20 ultra short. Since ultra short is of much more recent offering, has the glass been improved further? I have to add that it's hard to imagine a further improvement over 5-25x56, but nevertheless I'd like to hear from someone who owns both. Thanks!

I only own the Ultra Short 5 x 20 with illumination but can tell you my 2 cents on the glass. Kahles & Z6 Swaro walk all over it. On the other hand,,, for a night optic paired with a pvs 30. It is a dream optic.
0317181920.jpg

When I compared the two, for me the 5-25 was better optically in every way. But for the size of the 5-20, it’s amazing.

sounds about right. What I have seen, however, is the 3-20x has better optically resolution than the 5-20x. HK, not sure if you have had the opportunity to compare the 3-20 to the 5-20.

I've done a brief comparison between the full size 3-20 and the 5-20US. From the brief comparison, they felt close with the edge given to the 3-20.

Having said all this, I'm still waiting for the right deal to show up on a 5-20US. :)

The 5-45 optically takes your breath away momentarily. then the 5-25 slightly behind.. I find the 5-20 is optically the same as 3-20 but the 5-20 is a bit trickier on the ocular to set up than 3-20..the ocular is input is very sensitive so a little goes a long way and the sweet spot is very narrow but once its set its excellent... and my 5-20s are better than my 4-16 NF.
I tested two 5-20s vs a 6-24 khales and the 5-20s had better resolution and eyebox than than the khales and the owner of it along with other shooters thought so too.

I have thePMII 5-25, and the 3-20 PMII full size,not the US. I have spent time looking through the 5-20US. I find the 3-20 is my favorite,with the 5-25 just a smidge behind. In my opinion, the 5-20US is not as clean optically. I feel like there is a tiny bit of compromise to get to the 5-20 in the US package. It’s not huge, by any means, it’s just there. I find the 3-20 is an incredible scope, and my favorite that I have, and maybe the best glass/combo that I personally have looked through.

I only own the Ultra Short 5 x 20 with illumination but can tell you my 2 cents on the glass. Kahles & Z6 Swaro walk all over it. On the other hand,,, for a night optic paired with a pvs 30. It is a dream optic.View attachment 6885346
Are u by chance using 1.5” high rings? Nightforce ultra light?

From my personal experience, and I don’t currently own the Schmidt 5-25 as I sold Both of them; but, currently picked up a 5-20 US,
Having owned both i think the Schmidt 5-25 is slightly brighter and has slight more contrast just by a tiny bit... the 5-20 though I feel is the same as my Nightforce ATACR 5-25 F1 (which I currently own) in regards to color contrast and brightness. The Schmidt 5-20 has better edge to edge though than the NF atacr 5-25 F1, which suprisingly does have slight edge distortion.

I agree with what has been said that the ocular focus on the 5-20 is touchier than most scopes but it’s nit a big deal just need to do smaller turns. I’m loving mine just need to get higher rings/mount than the spuhr ultrashort mount

Last edited:
I used 1.5 inch badger rings as per Kill switch's recommendation for paring up with a pvs-30. The weight of my rings really has little impact on my application. Shooting prone from an elevated box stand.

I have thePMII 5-25, and the 3-20 PMII full size,not the US. I have spent time looking through the 5-20US. I find the 3-20 is my favorite,with the 5-25 just a smidge behind. In my opinion, the 5-20US is not as clean optically. I feel like there is a tiny bit of compromise to get to the 5-20 in the US package. It’s not huge, by any means, it’s just there. I find the 3-20 is an incredible scope, and my favorite that I have, and maybe the best glass/combo that I personally have looked through.
This is almost my exact findings as well. I have a 5-25x56 & 3-20x50 Non-US. I think, on 20X, the 3-20 is clearer and brighter, even with the 50mm objective vs the 56mm obj in the 5-25.
I do think my two Premiers have slightly better glass than both my S&Bs though. A 3-15x50 Heritage Light Tactical and a 5-25x56 Heritage. I would not give any of them up however. And all 4 are clearer and brighter than my Kahles K624i gen 3. But, again, that is not going anywhere either.

Reactions: PKelley
I think the 3-20x50 (non US) is one of the most overlooked Schmidt's out there, it is truly one of the best scopes I've worked with. Some think the US version is even better, but I've never seen the 3-20 US, I did have a 5-20 US and while I've never had a 5-25 I can say the 5-20 is no slouch. Mine was an amazing optical performer with excellent resolution and pop. If you're thinking of a covert or AR style rifle then the 5-20 is just about perfect.

This is almost my exact findings as well. I have a 5-25x56 & 3-20x50 Non-US. I think, on 20X, the 3-20 is clearer and brighter, even with the 50mm objective vs the 56mm obj in the 5-25.
I do think my two Premiers have slightly better glass than both my S&Bs though. A 3-15x50 Heritage Light Tactical and a 5-25x56 Heritage. I would not give any of them up however. And all 4 are clearer and brighter than my Kahles K624i gen 3. But, again, that is not going anywhere either.

I like the glass in my full size 3-20x50 vs my 5-25 as well, I thought it was just mine but I see some others feel the same way.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
I have the 5-25 and the 5-20US ... Both are practically the same on resolution, clarity, and contrast. Only the most discerning optic junkie would be able to differentiate... The biggest difference is in eye box, and ocular forgiveness. The 5-20US is a touchy scope, but a welcome sacrifice for its size. Its almost impossible to squeeze all the performance S&B did into 11.77 inches... (Patiently waiting to test the VUDU 5-25)

Glad to see I’m not the only one who lives the 3-20. I thought it was just “in my head”. I see here it’s not. I have the 3-20 on my GAP10 6.5CM, because to me, that scope just fits PERFECT on a precision gasser. I constantly fight taking it off and switching it to my A.I. bolt gun, and putting my 5-25 on my GAP. I just love it when I settle in behind that glass. It’s crisp, clean, easy as heck to be behind for hours, and as I said.....to me, it’s a gasser scope.

Oh well.....first world problems right???

Reactions: Glassaholic
I've only looked through the 5-20 US and never shot with it, but the glass looks pretty much the same as my 5-25.
The biggest differences are really elsewhere for the 2 scopes.

5-25 has a better eyebox
5-25 has more tactile turrets

5-20 has lower profile turrets
5-20 has capped windage
5-20 only comes in lockable MTC turrets
5-20 has an impressive 10 extra mils of elevation adjustment (36 total) on the double turn models
5-20 is lighter
5-20 doesn't tunnel on the low end

I've only looked through the 5-20 US and never shot with it, but the glass looks pretty much the same as my 5-25.
The biggest differences are really elsewhere for the 2 scopes.

5-25 has a better eyebox
5-25 has more tactile turrets

5-20 has lower profile turrets
5-20 has capped windage
5-20 only comes in lockable MTC turrets
5-20 has an impressive 10 extra mils of elevation adjustment (36 total) on the double turn models
5-20 is lighter
5-20 doesn't tunnel on the low end
I'd also add the 5-20 has much better FOV than the 5-25 at the low end