• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Optics for Anschütz rimfire trainer

Rassmussen

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2009
69° 43' North, 30° 3' East
I am planning on building a rimfire trainer and I am looking for some advice on the optics side. The rifle is a Anschütz Sporter Benchrest in a MPR stock. Anschütz

I will be ordering a 20 MOA base as soon as it is becomes available from one of my fellow hide members webshop. It's currently on backorder.

I have set a maximum of $1200 to spend on the scope itself. I will have to spend 25 % on VAT upon customs clearance, so this is as far as I go.

As far as what I'm looking for, I have 5 qualities that i would like the scope to have.

- available with MilDot or equivalent reticle. I have NF 5.5-22 with MLR, so similar reticle would be preferred.

- 30 mm tube

- target knobs

- side parallax adjustment

- I would prefer the scope to be MIL/MIL

So far I have to candidates that have caught my eye. The Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP and the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. These are both MIL/MIL with the added bonus of FFP. I have also been looking into the Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50. Now this scope offers some higher magnification, but I am less than enthusiastic in the idea of a MOA/MIL scope.

Now I am leaning towards the Vortex, but I understand that there is a problem with availability? If I would have to wait 3 months for the scope, I think that i will probably go in another direction.

I am particularly interested in finding out about other scopes that I should look into.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have to offer!

Thanks!

-R

Re: Optics for Aschütz rimfire trainer

Millet TRS1 4-16x50mm would be well within you bugdet as would the Weaver 3.5-10 Grand Slam Tactical reviewed a few pages back on here.

Getting a vendor to export from the States is likely to be your biggest problem...

Export permits are usually not a problem as long as you buy from a reputable vendor. There are a few that do not export, but I can usually get the scope elsewhere if there are restrictions. Besides, I don't even have to buy the scope in the US, I can order it elsewhere.

I have never heard of Millet or Weaver, but I'll look into it.

Any other advice?

Thanks!

-R

I have that exact rifle 64BR that I use as a trainer. I will tell you a couple things I found out.

First, get the Rimfire Technologies Picatinny rail so you can use whatever rings/scope you want. I think the person who did the bases for Rimfire has his own site now. See this thread here:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2015967&gonew=1#UNREAD

Second, I had a tactical 3.5-15x scope mounted on it for use as a trainer. (NF 3.5-15NXS) with a mildot reticle etc. I found out that personally I will be very unlikely to be shooting this gun past 100yrds, except maybe very infrequently. As such, there is ZERO benefit to having the mildot scope, you will not be doing ANY ranging with the 22LR trainer. Or if you are, you won't be shooting it with the same gun
smile.gif

I took off the NF and put on a Sighttron competition scope:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=630380

It works very well for this gun, and I picked it due to multiple recommendations on some rimfire forums. I have no problems shooting 25 to 100 yards, and for kicks, it does have enough elevation to get out to around 300 yrds. You will not be seeing any of your bullet holes at 300 regardless of using Shoot N See and the hubble telescope as a spotter. Ask me how I know. Walking to 300 to see if I had even hit the target got real old real fast, hence the less than 100yrd majority of shots as noted above.

The scope is relatively inexpensive, tracks perfectly, and will be what I use for the rimfire matches at our club which are at 50 yrds, despite this being a "trainer". This definitely isn't a USO, S&B or NF, and you are not going to be throwing it around in the mud or down a mountainside - I think the nice walnut stock would be mad at you as well.

Just some oppinions of someone who has been there. Hope it helps.
A few pics of my "trainer" - Anshutz 64BR, Sightron scope on a rimfire tech mount, harris bipod on an Anshutz rail adapter, and a USO Anti-Cant device(HIGHLY recommend this if using the bipod on this rifle)

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

madd0c

Re: Optics for Anschütz rimfire trainer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rassmussen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on building a rimfire trainer and I am looking for some advice on the optics side. The rifle is a Anschütz Sporter Benchrest in a MPR stock. Anschütz

I will be ordering a 20 MOA base as soon as it is becomes available from one of my fellow hide members webshop. It's currently on backorder.

I have set a maximum of $1200 to spend on the scope itself. I will have to spend 25 % on VAT upon customs clearance, so this is as far as I go.

As far as what I'm looking for, I have 5 qualities that i would like the scope to have.

- available with MilDot or equivalent reticle. I have NF 5.5-22 with MLR, so similar reticle would be preferred.

- 30 mm tube

- target knobs

- side parallax adjustment

- I would prefer the scope to be MIL/MIL

So far I have to candidates that have caught my eye. The Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP and the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. These are both MIL/MIL with the added bonus of FFP. I have also been looking into the Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50. Now this scope offers some higher magnification, but I am less than enthusiastic in the idea of a MOA/MIL scope.

Now I am leaning towards the Vortex, but I understand that there is a problem with availability? If I would have to wait 3 months for the scope, I think that i will probably go in another direction.

I am particularly interested in finding out about other scopes that I should look into.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have to offer!

Thanks!

-R
</div></div>

Vortex viper will not be around for a while. It will probably be beyond your 3 month wait window. Get a Bushnell 4200 3-12x44 FFP. They are FFP scope with Mil/Mil reticle/adjustment. This particular model has about 20Mils of adjustment and is side parallax adjustable from 20y to infinity. It is also an illumincated reticle scope.

For your budget I would get this scope long before the falcon. The sightrons are excellent scopes but the problem is they are Mil/MOA scopes. I have heard they may come out with a Mil/Mil version but not likely within your 3 month window.

If you did not have the import VAT issues then a used nightforce MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil with side parallax would have been a nice scope for you.

Hope this helps

Gene

@maddOc: Is that the original stock you have on there? It looks to be to slim around the front edge of the stock to be the BR model. Might just be the angle of the picture. Anyways, I have always had MilDot or equivalent so this a matter of personal preference rather than the need for one. I usually shoot between 10-150 meters with the .22 cal, and I really like the challenge. These are mostly electronic targets, so there is no walking involved
smile.gif
Rimfiretech no longer has any parts for Anschütz, so the fellow hide member that made the thread you put a link to in your post is the guy to talk to. I have already sent an e-mail to the company since the rail is backordered.

@gszeto99: thanks for pointing out the Bushnell. I did not realize that made MIL/MIL scopes. I'll check them out as well.

If I could find a used MIL/MIL NF 3,5-15 or 5,5-22 around my approx. price range I would be all over it.

Any other scopes that I should be checking out?

-R

I think it's the angle of the photos, it has the beavertail front end.

Good luck with the project. I sure hope the person from rimfire tech that has a new site still makes those rails, it is a very handy addition.

madd0c

The Victory is a nice scope, but it's a little on the pricey side for this project.

The Conquest is in my range, but the 1" tube and the MIL/MOA is sort of a dealbraker for me. If it had been available in MIL/MIL it would certainly be a good candidate.

Nice rifle by the way!

-R

Hi Rasmussen-

Mil/mil is not easy to get - probably the most difficult of your criteria. Below I am giving you my thoughts on that criterion only, excluding others on your list.

By far the cheapest Mil/Mil with decent quality you can get right now, I think, is the Weaver Grand Slam 2.5-8x32, 1" tube, SFP (Second Focal Plane), which is available at MidwayUSA for $300 ($100 off) right now. It is a good brand and good glass as well, not S&B for sure, but definitely comparable to a mid-range Leupold VXII. Its main weakness is a narrow adjustment range (48 moa, too small for me). Weight is 17 oz.

Going up in price, I can think of the excellent SWFA Super Sniper 3-9x42, with an excellent Mil/Mil in FFP, 30mm tube, around $600, with 90 moa of elevation. Weight is 19 oz. A great choice. AS an aside, there have been discussion on parallax adjustment on this scope (there isn't any), but all users have reported so far that parallax adjustment for this scope was not necessary.

Next I can think of is the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 (Bushnell = Bausch & Lomb) with illuminated MilDot reticle, also FFP, 30mm tube, for $850 and 80 moa. Its weakness is weight (24 oz). If you don't need the illuminated reticle I think that the SS is better in all respects (I have a 10x SS, and I have played with the Elite 3200 but I don't own it).

The Vortex PST will be at least as good and probably be better than any of them. Imho, the Falcon is worse than any of them - but I don't own one, I have only played with one at the range. The glass was OK - although not great, I was underwhelmed by the mechanics, and I hear that reliability is lacking. Their reputation on the forums is, in general, poor. My opinion on that is not definitive because I don't own it.

Outside of your price range, but not too far, is the Leupold Mark 4 2.5-10x40 LR/T with M5 turrets (0.1 mil increments), also FFP, 30 mm tube, 20 oz, for $1,500. I believe it is a 65 moa adjustment range, but I am not 100% certain (the other Mark 4s in 2.5-10x40 are). This one is available today and is of Leupold quality. It is better than any other on the list as well, although possibly not better than the Vortex - but who knows? If you want more x, there is also a 4.5-14x50 for $1,600, and a 6.5-20x50 for $1,700.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out and pick, and share the new knowledge with us! Btw, I used to fly an old airplane nicknamed Stavanger for ASW recon:) As a passenger...

@SmileMaker: That is the MSR if I'm not mistaken. To bad that they are discontinued because I really like the stock. It truly is a beautiful looking rifle. Check out page 4 in this thread for another bad ass looking MSR

@WestOfPecos: Thank you for a very thorough response. I did have a look at the Weaver, but I decided against it. As far as the SS and SWFA, they have a strict no export policy. If they don't want my money I'm OK with that. The Bushnell is a good candidate, but I really don't care much for the green illumination. I probably won't be using it much, but it just annoys me that they decided to make it green.

As far as the Leupold goes, it does certainly look like a good candidate. I don't care much for the turrets, but I guess i could get used to them

I am also checking out IOR, they seem like good value for money. The 4-14x50 30mm SF looks promising. It's MOA, but other than that it looks like a nice piece.

-R

You are right, IOR could work out for your needs. If you could be satisfied with 10x, their 2.5-10x42 is Mil/Mil, Illum and FFP, in your budget (30mm, 21 oz, $1250). Incidentally, their Modified MP-8 reticle is quite the cat's meow. However, I do not have experience with their illumination.

As for green, I would not worry about it. I spent my life sailing in small boats, and all that time we were all using red light at night to preserve night vision, but in the past 15 years studies have come out (or maybe I have become aware of them?) that show that it is no the color, but the intensity of the light that counts - duh... I hear even the US Navy is authorizing green. Green works for me with no ill effects. I also read many people recommending green on the Trijicon Accu Point line for night hunting, it seems to work them too. Unless, of course, it is a personal preference for you, which is quite fine:)

Btw, If you were really hard up on the SS, I figure that, as long as it is legal to export such an item, you could probably obtain it through one of us on the hide living in the US. The good guy list is pretty long:)