• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Optics for guided hunts.

b1c2r3r4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
texas
Do you think a spotting scope or 15x bino would be of more use on guided elk, moose, mountain animals etc. I know the guide will have spotting scope to judge the animal so would it be better to just use binos and leave the zooming in to the guide. If you are going in by plane or horseback do you bring both 15x bino and a spotting scope?
I am 55 and just getting into mountain hunting and want to make the most out of the years I have left to hunt. I will always have Swarovski el either 8x42 or 10x42 with me just need advice on longer distance searching.

thanks for any and all advice.

I would only take 10x42. I have hunted with a guide and solo. I have carried a spotting scope, but rarely used it and find my 10x42 Leicas are really all I need. If you have a guide, then they will probably have what you need - there is definitely no need for you both to have spotting scopes. Typically you will share spotting scope time to reduce eye fatigue for you both. But if you are going with a guide call him and ask just in case he has a different plan, but I have not had a guide have me bring anything other than binoculars and they always say 8x or 10x.

However, this is just my experience.

Reactions: Drahthaar Dan
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that 15x binos on a tripod would be the most beneficial.

If you need 15x to spot an animal it will probably be two hours+ travel time to get in shooting range. Plus, there's a good chance it would move before you could get there. Personally, after having had the benefit of participating in a retailers field test of numerous binos, I would spend my money on Steiner Preditor Pro 8x or 10x. They showed the best clarity, color contrast and low light performance for the price, equal to or better than more expensive optics. I can see and shoot big game out to six hundred yards at 3x. If I were you, I'd spend the money on lighter weight optics. When you make up your mind give Doug a call at Camera Land. There are also other good vendors that monitor and participate on SH forum. In fact, just today, Doug posted some good deals on some in store demo binos.

Agreed with the 8x or 10x binoculars. 15x is only good for spotting on a tripod. Trying to use them off hand and it will drive you crazy, it will be like you are in the middle of a giant earthquake and you will end up not using them or giving yourself a headache.

So if you are sitting on a ridge glassing for elk you use the 10x binos to help the guide look for elk? That would save money and weight. Do you bring a tripod and pan head for glassing or just tuck your elbows and do the best you can? Doug at camera land has some great deals. I bought 3 scopes with his Black Friday deals.

Last edited:
So if you are sitting on a ridge glassing for elk you use the 10x binos to help the guide look for elk? That would save money and weight. Do you bring a tripod and pan head for glassing or just tuck your elbows and do the best you can? Doug at camera land has some great deals. I bought 3 scopes with his Black Friday deals.
Best way to get in a steady hold is sit legs crossed with elbows planted in the knee joints. A big problem with tripods in the Rockies is gusting winds. Just can't hold those high mag binos still enough to get the benefit. Secondly, after one day of trying to hike with a rifle, tripod and 15x optics, you'll leave all but the rifle in the vehicle or cabin and be posting on the forum to sell them when the hunt is over.

Thanks everyone that posted. It is all good info and I will not be looking to purchase a 15x bino or a spotting scope this year now.

I’ve hunted elk many times in NM and going to Northern CO this year. Most guided but a few solo. After my first hunt I ditched my old $300 Leupold binos and bought Zeiss 10x42’s. It’s all I have ever needed. Good glass in that power will allow you to find and judge animals and quality glass reduced my eye fatigue with the extensive use these types of hunts demand. Good luck on your hunt.

Mountain hunting depending on where, can be easier, harder to extreme character building. Bike riding with the seat down low on high gear simulates the short power strokes walking up hill. Also climb stairs with weight in your pack, boots on, start light and work your way up. This also helps your balance and your core strength. Stop using all caffeine 2 weeks prior to you leaving, now on the hunt, any caffeine is like rocket fuel. Speaking of rocket fuel, chocolate covered coffee beans. Have snacks in a pocket, eat a handful and sip water every 15, 30 mins or so. Keep the fuel burning.

Your head game is what makes a trip. Things don't always go perfect, don't let something simple heat you up. Relax, its a hunt, take it all in, stop and view the world, breath, enjoy.

Your guide should have a spotting scope. No need for the client to bring one. Your guide is the one who will judge the animal. Of course, its your call too if its what you want.

Typically, binos are used to glass to locate animals. Wide field of view is what I prefer. 7x was standard, then 8x and 10x is standard now. You don't need much, just looking for movement, a glint, dark or light, etc. Tripod is not needed in my experience, just extra weight. And, it is possible to judge animals with binos.

Once an animal(s) is located by binos, you use the spotter to see if its legal and/or a good animal No use spending time and energy on a stalk to arrive and find out its not legal or whatever. No real need to have 2 spotters.

Bush flights are not what they use to be. Way more weight strict.

Your guide is the one who should answer questions.

When choosing one, ask for a full disclosure and prior clients to contact. If you get 100% awesome report from everyone on the list, I would be cautious.

Always, contact local F&G about the guides, there are many illegal guides.

Last edited:
I’ve never hunted with a guide. But I have hunted big game “out west” my entire life. I’ll also say I’m not a trophy hunter.

With that in mind, I would let your guide pack the spotter and just take your 8 or 10x binos. To me, there’s no reason for both of you to pack spotters. There are certain things that everyone needs to pack (rifle, binos, “kill kit”, med kit, etc), and there are certain items that should not be duplicated (spotters, tents, etc).

Plus, and I mean no offense, if your just getting into “mountain hunting “ you’re probably going to be a poor judge of animals anyways. Focus on spotting critters and let your guide “guide you”.

When you decide to move on from guided hunts, maybe a spotter or 2 sets of binos will be worth it to you. I’ve gotten to the point where the spotter isn’t worth it to pack - but like I said, I’m not in it for the biggest or best, the experience is more than enough for me anymore.

Too many variables for meaningful response but in my experience 15x binos are heavy and not enough power to really study an animal at distance. They are great in scenarios where you literally sit and glass for hours or days at a time - sheep, coues deer, goats, etc - where eye strain is a known element.

Every hunt and guide are going to be different. Tactics, logistics, weather, terrain, access....too many variables. That‘s why you’re hiring a guide in the first place right?

Spend your money on clothing, high quality pack, boots, physical fitness. Most guides are going to use the first day to figure out where they are going to take you based on how you well you handle the environment. You’ll pay the same to hunt for dinks in the low country if the guide feels you’re gonna be a liabilty

Glass is no good if you spot something you can’t physically hunt. I have invested in good glass and it’s almost too good, we can rarely get to many animals we can see.