• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Optics for S&W .44 mag stealth hunter

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 26, 2011
    Idaho
    I've decided to give handgun hunting a try this year. Last year was great with rifle but I've realized that I won't be making any shots over 100m where I'm hunting. I'd like to scope/red dot my stealth hunter and hit the range for some practice. I'm looking at leupold for scope options and aimpoint for red dots. Any suggestions on scope/red dot type and lessons learned would be great.

Re: Optics for S&W .44 mag stealth hunter

I've got a bushy 3200 2-7 on my 10/22 charger. It doesn't see the recoil that your 44 will generate, but it's been good to me so far...just over 2 years now.

Good luck with it,
    Breeze

I had a Nikon for a handgun scope a few years back did ok. I would recommend not going to high on the power though as every little movement is magnified then. (Unless you have a good rest then nevermind)
    Side note: You need to post a pic/s of your stealth that is one nice gun.

I used a Leupold 4x on a 44mag and 500 s&w. The scope handled the recoil fine - about 60 rds of 44mag and over 150 500 s&w rounds. The one caution that i found is keeping the scope back off the muzzle to keep the obj from undue wear and keeping the powder residue from blacking out the obj. If i had to do it over again, i would put a 2x scope on it. 4x was hard to hold sometimes at 100+. Also, I tried the trijicon reflex but the amber triangle washed out in snow conditions. Good luck

Thanks for the inputs guys. Here's the stealth hunter. I took it in on trade from another member of the hide. It is the early run of 629-5 stealth hunters that S&W turned out...In NATO "Birdsong" green. I may pick up powder, bullets, primers and dies to start reloading for the caliber. The .44 Specials are a lot of fun. It is compensated so I can see the concern with an optic that sits too far forward.
    IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

That's a good looking Iron you got. How about that T.S.O.B. mount?

If'n you ever decide you're tired of it, and want to sell it; drop me a line. I'll gladly take it off your hands. I'm just a bit south of mr birdsong's operation.

Also, my experience with red dots in lowlight for foxes and coyotes over 50yd is terrible. The lowest red dot setting will still wash out the critter and make a good hit hard to call. Scope would be the better option if the lighting will be low at any time.

Cheers,
    Breeze

I have a weaver on my 44 pistol and have not touched it in around 100-150 rounds & 3 seasons of hunting. It's been a rock solid scope and light weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How about that T.S.O.B. mount?

</div></div> If you're talkin'about MY answer,on the60's or'70s a gifted man named Maynard Buehler managed to engineer & produce some bombproof mounts intended for the use of scopes on heavy-recoiling revolvers,when the N-S&W frames or the Colt Pythons weren't engineered to accept a heavy-duty mount withous some drilling abuse or other_(I've read about a succesful employ of a Python-equipped with Buehler/M8Leupold combo at expenses of some vietnamese night-sapper)_Substantially is a steel block of smart design and optimum workmanship clamped on the frame top strap,secured thank to heavy-duty allen screws,w/rough left-right adjusting screws,without the need to drill or maim anything_After a blackened eye thank to the failure of a inferior oriental mount,I managed to put the hands on a used Buehler mount for my 29s_ At today is mounted on a Silohuette model with a Weaver scope,is beautiful,perform without any flaws,but I can't say if is in current production_ To mount it,is necessary remove the rear sight,of course_ I can translate "S.O.B.",but I have some probleme with "T" : any help about it will be welcomed_

I have an old simmons 1-4 on my encore single shot pistol in 308 winchester, it has maintained perfect zero through many many hundreds of rounds and range outings, all this after spending a couple years on a hellish 12 inch 454 casull barrel. My wrist got hurt more than that scope.
    hope this helps