• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics help

Ragin_cajun

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
I have a ss5-20 illuminated scope on my 308 and love it, now I need a scope for my ar50. I don't get to shoot it very often so I can't take the scope off the 308 for it. I really like the ss optics so I'm thinking about a fixed power scope for it. I want the highest power I can get with the least mirage. I'll be taking it out to 1,000yds when I can. I live in a hot enviorment so mirage is usually bad here. What do you guys think? Help me decide as I've never used the fixed power models. 12x, 16x, or 20x?

Re: Optics help

The SS fixed scopes are a great deal, but just so you know the glass is not at the same level as the HD scopes. Switching the 5-20 around would work as well, but a 50 gets a bit expensive to re-zero every time you want to take it out.

Re: Optics help

Yea I thought about doing that but I don't take it out much and I don't shoot any kind of matches with it. It's just to play around. How versatile is the 16x compared to the 12x