• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics Planet Ceases Sales of High Capacity Magazines

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
Here’s OpticsPlanet’s official statement:

When there’s smoke, there’s often fire. But sometimes – smoke is just smoke.
We fully understand how the email featured in the article on The Truth About Guns suggests that we may have made a decision to limit the sales of magazines over 10 rounds due to the recent tragedy in Parkland, Florida. Before we go any further, we want to make it clear that our condolences go to the families of all of the victims, and that our hearts go out to a community trying to recover after a senseless event.
At OpticsPlanet, we have never used the inflamed tensions and emotions of current events to drive decision making. Our support of the 2nd amendment is made undeniably clear by the products we offer. We are one of the few online retailers who never stopped offering completely legal products such as bump stocks or binary triggers, when many did. We do not raise prices during frenzies. We do, however, follow the laws and make adjustments when legally required.
In this case, insufficient internal communication led to a misread message. We are not offering magazines with capacities greater than 10 rounds to the general public due to our location in Northbrook, Illinois, and local laws that limit our ability to sell these. Being an internet retailer serving fifty states can be complex at times, and frankly, our location in Illinois only adds to this complexity. We may not always like the law, but we need to follow it.
We own up to the fact that we did not explain this well internally, which led to an unclear message given to the customer, but we can completely repudiate any notion that this is a reaction to any recent event or the political climate. Unfortunately, our loyal customer base is best served by purchasing their magazines from retailers in “free” states. This issue is currently out of our hands. We’re committed to working hard to retain your business for everything else you need.
It’s unfortunate that this issue has created so much confusion, and we apologize for not providing clearer messaging in the first place. We continue to support our passionate customer community as we have for the past eighteen years in every way we can.​

Reactions: tt123
Can we stop using the term "high-capacity magazines" to refer to anything over 10 rnds? Last I checked, the standard capacity for most semi-auto firearms with detachable magazines is typically greater than that. 15 rounds for a Glock 19 is standard, 30 rounds for an AR-15 is standard. If OpticsPlanet will only sell low-capacity magazines, I hope people vote will vote with their wallet.

That’s northern Illinois politics for ya! It’s unfortunate that I live in southern illinois yet forced to abide by Chicago politics.

One of the few states left that still require a FOID card. It’s a hassle trying to order ammo online being an Illinois resident.

Vote them (optics planet) out with your money, an quite being they're whores. As long as people support shit heads like them with their wallet they will keep encroaching on your rights. It's people like the management at OP that is the cause of the fla shooting in the first place, it's always a items fault, never the perps fault. Restricting the numbers of rds in a mag thinking it will stop mass killing is asinine an just a libtard brain fart. You want to stop mass killings start with mental illness when young, when older a rope & tree in-front of the court house filmed live is the best warning. As long as the public is a pussy about such shit it will continue.

If gun laws were working we would not even be talking about this shit. Hows all the gun laws working out for Chicago anyway? Think there might be another issue at hand?
Every day there are 51 people killed by alcohol in this country, 60K a year by drugs, so tell me where is the up roar over that, thats right there is none. Why because it's about control an money, not lives. Some so called shooters are their own worst enemy, they can't think past their own fucking noses.

Last edited:
I get the angst from this statement.
I'm guessing, knowing how Illinois politics works, they have been pressured and can't afford to loose their income.
The true culprits look like this:
1519131200875.png

1519131228975.png

For those of you not in the know this is Dick Durbin and Mike Madigan.
Textbook examples of what is wrong with our government state and federal.
It pisses me off when we see another business fold to the local pressure but I'm wagering they didn't get much choice.
State by state the creeping cancer steals away what isn't theirs to take.
Of course this is part of the plan.

R

If they aren't standing behind the 10 round mag limit, then why aren't they considering moving their location to somewhere gun friendly?
Exactly. Even manufacturers live in some of the most unfriendly states. He’ll, surefire lives in a state where they can’t even sell their staple products. If they all up and relocated it would be oh so awesome.

We are in for the fight if our lives right now. The midterms have never mattered more.

Reactions: abizdafuzz
I think optics planet needs to move to said “free state”. I find the notion that gun manufacturers, accessories manufacturers ect, still operate In hostile states insulting. While I understand it’s hard to just up and move, wouldn’t it be financially beneficial to move to a “free state” and quit giving the commies your tax dollars?

So my question would be how long has Cook County, IL not allowed the sale of >10 round mags? If this law didn't go into affect on February 14th, than I'm calling BS on their reason.

it is not new for cook county. I wonder if they hid it until someone asked. here is an excerpt from the law and a link:

Sec. 54-212. - Assault weapons, and large-capacity magazines; sale prohibited; exceptions.
It shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire, carry or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine in Cook County. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1)
The sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent,...etc.

Definition per cook county: Large-capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds

cook county

OP is following the law. So good for them. What is bad, is the law itself.

Reactions: Basher
My question would then be when did this Cook County law go into affect? They sold 30 round mags on February 13th. Now the don't. What happened between then and now? Oh wait, a school shooting. This has nothing to do with a law that's been in affect for some time now. This is a change in their business model due to politics.

OptiWho?

Look guys, optics planet sold the mags until yesterday so I don't think they are against the sale of standard magazines. Somebody leaned on them hard.

Look guys, optics planet sold the mags until yesterday so I don't think they are against the sale of standard magazines. Somebody leaned on them hard.

Well, if it was Michael Moore, I kind of get it.

He isn't the kind of kid who beat you up for your lunch money.

He's the one who beat you up for your lunch.

gqVdjDY.jpg

@mcameron

Well, buddy, you go ahead and follow the laws you agree with and disregard those you dislike and see how that works out for ya!! I'll be sure to send you some $$$ to keep Big Bubba at bay.

@mcameron

Well, buddy, you go ahead and follow the laws you agree with and disregard those you dislike and see how that works out for ya!! I'll be sure to send you some $$$ to keep Big Bubba at bay.

risk getting raped by bubba......or voluntarily get raped by the oligarchy ......ill take my chances with bubba.

personally, i dont follow laws that violate the constitution.....in this country, not only are we allowed to not follow illegal laws.....we are obligated to.

the laws in this country dont mean jack shit anyways......if the Dems are allowed to pick and choose what laws they want to follow.....im damn sure going to as well.

The salient point of the law is “in cook county...” my guess is that they have been just on the right side of the law by selling mags out of state only. Then, someone took a harder look and said “hey! YOU’RE in cook county. You can’t do that.”

They’re OPTICS planet, not magazine planet. When the laws go after rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars, and rangefinders- then they will move. Remember that Magpul was in Colorado. I’d bet that they would still be there if it were bump stocks and not mags that were restricted then...

That law passed in July of 2013, it's impossible for a company to be that ignorant of a law that they would continue to sell 30 round mags for almost 5 years after such legislation was passed. Now I can believe that less than 4 days AFTER a school shooting in Florida, their lawyers thought it would be a good idea to get out of the magazine business, but that didn't happen either. The only reason I can think OptiWho changed was for liability reasons. But if you're going to do that, just say it. Don't hide behind a 5 year old law that they weren't concerned about before February 18, 2018.

Pole smokers. Lucky for me it doesn’t effect where I buy, because I don’t buy from assholes that sell Out Of Stock items with no indication they’re out of stock.

No Shit, Right? They've 'Never' seen a penny of my $ for good reason. Turn the page, nobody cares.

Reactions: netranger6

Yeah, that was 'yesterday'. We're concerned with 'today'.

They take paypal, I would bet paypal may have sent them a nasty gram saying don't sell high capacity magazines using our payment service.

Leave it to Illinois to be the head of the shit arrow, Remove them from the US murder statistics and things look much better on paper. More proof that over regulation is useless.

Reactions: man32ahan
I have purchased several items from them, not anymore. If they weren't complete pussies they could of pushed back, never did I see them address this issue before. How about asking for a mental health check of the morons that put this
Law together, don't they want to get to the root of the problem. Slave state of Illinois.

I was sorry to hear of their decision to only offer low capacity magazines for many of my firearms. I contacted them via their 'Contact Us' in the 'Press Release' section of their website and expressed how disheartened I was and that this action meant that we could no longer conduct business. I am not asking anyone else to do the same, however, if one chooses to do so it might let them know how many competitors they have in the internet arena.

Vote them (optics planet) out with your money, an quite being they're whores. As long as people support shit heads like them with their wallet they will keep encroaching on your rights. It's people like the management at OP that is the cause of the fla shooting in the first place, it's always a items fault, never the perps fault. Restricting the numbers of rds in a mag thinking it will stop mass killing is asinine an just a libtard brain fart. You want to stop mass killings start with mental illness when young, when older a rope & tree in-front of the court house filmed live is the best warning. As long as the public is a pussy about such shit it will continue.

If gun laws were working we would not even be talking about this shit. Hows all the gun laws working out for Chicago anyway? Think there might be another issue at hand?
Every day there are 51 people killed by alcohol in this country, 60K a year by drugs, so tell me where is the up roar over that, thats right there is none. Why because it's about control an money, not lives. Some so called shooters are their own worst enemy, they can't think past their own fucking noses.
Yeah. They are now as good a vendor in my mind, as Botactical was. Bye Felicia.

They take paypal, I would bet paypal may have sent them a nasty gram saying don't sell high capacity magazines using our payment service.
Yea dick smack. Motherfucker trying to make a living. Your chicken shit attitude get your ass kicked
I'm sorry that was 1 jo4

Guy trying to eek out a living in a fucked state. Employs 300 people. What the fuck you do other than bitch
im going to guess in addition to bitch....he also spends a good amount of time respecting the 2A and exerts a lot of effort actually carrying around a pair of balls.

i dont care if you sell gun parts or fucking fishing rods.....if you dont support the 2A i have no interest in supporting you.

im going to guess in addition to bitch....he also spends a good amount of time respecting the 2A and exerts a lot of effort actually carrying around a pair of balls.

i dont care if you sell gun parts or fucking fishing rods.....if you dont support the 2A i have no interest in supporting you.

See I live next door to the fucked up state. And I work there. I have to leave my weapon at home to enter their fucked state. And I hate it! What I respect is him taking care of his employees.

See I live next door to the fucked up state. And I work there. I have to leave my weapon at home to enter their fucked state. And I hate it! What I respect is him taking care of his employees.
Well it's a real shame either way. For you and "him". But if this is Optics way of "showing support" for the recent events then I'm out. I've spent over 2 grand there in the last 3 months. . . . I'll be going elsewhere now......

Well it's a real shame either way. For you and "him". But if this is Optics way of "showing support" for the recent events then I'm out. I've spent over 2 grand there in the last 3 months. . . . I'll be going elsewhere now......
I lost my cool and I'm sorry. But I really think he has been operating in grey area. With recent events and dick head Durbin and Madigon wanting face time he is in a no win situation.

Yea dick smack. Motherfucker trying to make a living. Your chicken shit attitude get your ass kicked
I'm sorry that was 1 jo4
I'm not sure what in the fuck you are attempting to communicate. You can take your grammatical massacre and shove it up your ass. Just to clarify, you fucking moron, I'm not attacking OpticsPlanet. I'm suggesting that others such as Paypal, may have put pressure on OpticsPlanet to not sell magazines that hold over 10 rounds. Now if you have anything intelligent to say, please go take it up with them.

I'm not sure what in the fuck you are attempting to communicate. You can take your grammatical massacre and shove it up your ass. Just to clarify, you fucking moron, I'm not attacking OpticsPlanet. I'm suggesting that others such as Paypal, may have put pressure on OpticsPlanet to not sell magazines that hold over 10 rounds. Now if you have anything intelligent to say, please go take it up with them.
Yea go fuck yourself

Yea go fuck yourself
Did I hit your cum button you fucking prick