• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optika 6 4.5-27x50 MRAD opinions

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Anyone with real world experience?

Not been able to find any YouTube videos with a review on them other than a quick “the glass is great” comment.

After a more substantial review if anyone has a link or cares to share.

I did see the review on the 5-30x56 saying the eye box was tight and a bit finicky.....

TIA

Slimy

I have the 4.5-27 mrad.
I like the glass, the eye box is acceptable for the price range.
turrets feel nice.
What I don’t like,
The elevation turret locks but the windage does not. I feel like there was a miscommunication in building it, like someone said to make the windage lockable and they made the elevation lockable instead. The reticle, it’s set up pretty nice for hunting at low power and usable for long range. My only concern is wind holds. Once you figure out the sub tensions you can get wind hold inside the 2 mil range, but it takes some studying of the reticle. For instance, the cross hair from end to end is 1 mil, from center dot to end of the cross hair is .4 mil. The circle is 2mils from inside edge of it. From center dot to inside edge of the circle is 1 mil. So there is some grid in there to use, but it needs studying. I wish it was gridded out all the way to center, but I would think it would make the 2 mil circle very busy.

0A70D3F0-9DF1-4643-A7EA-458820536AB9.png

I was considering one of these but I just couldn't get over the reticle. It just doesn't seem user friendly at all. What am I supposed to do if I just want to hold a few mils windage? Definitely doesn't seem set up well for competition use.

IMO, that is one of the worst mil reticles I've ever seen in a scope that is catered to long range precision. However, I'm extremely picky with my reticles because I know what I personally need. For me I need wind holds more between .4-1.2 mils, so this is a hard no go.
Yes, I jumped on buying it. And I wish I would have slowed down and thought about that reticle first. It’s a crossover reticle for low power use in hunting. It serves that purpose well. But I’m not hunting with my rifles.

I have the 3-18x50 since October. Its on a 25 caliber FX Crown PCP. I do a ton of woodchuck hunting with it. I end up clicking and using the holdovers. Excellent tracking and return to zero, great turrets, smooth power and parallax rings, and great glass. Meopta makes great optics and they have been overlooked for years. I saw them last year at Shot for the first time. Well worth the money.

Reactions: Gohring65
So to sum it up.

Hunting = good

Long range steel shooting = yikes

Think this is probably the most concise description of this optic/reticle combo.

I have the 3-18x50 since October. Its on a 25 caliber FX Crown PCP. I do a ton of woodchuck hunting with it. I end up clicking and using the holdovers. Excellent tracking and return to zero, great turrets, smooth power and parallax rings, and great glass. Meopta makes great optics and they have been overlooked for years. I saw them last year at Shot for the first time. Well worth the money.
I put my mrad on a savage 112 338 lapua. It’s more of a slow pace type shooting rifle. A rifle I can dial wind more. I can grid the wind with the reticle and then dial the solution if it’s inside that circle.

So to sum it up.

Hunting = good

Long range steel shooting = yikes

Think this is probably the most concise description of this optic/reticle combo.
Depends on how you shoot. If it’s fast paced, I’d probably pick something else. If not, I’d dial.

The only MRAD reticle I currently see being offered by US vendors is the donut. Abomination. I would love to see the regular MRAD RD.

Edit... looks like it is available on the 5-30x56.

Last edited:
My understanding is the MRAD with the donut is on the 3-18 and is meant to be a crossover reticle for hunting/steel.

The straight MRAD-1 reticle with no donut is on the 4.5-27 and 5-30.

My understanding is the MRAD with the donut is on the 3-18 and is meant to be a crossover reticle for hunting/steel.

The straight MRAD-1 reticle with no donut is on the 4.5-27 and 5-30.
No, the donut is on the 4.5-27. I agree with a post earlier saying that the mrad without the donut wasn’t released in the US on the 4.5-27.

No, the donut is on the 4.5-27. I agree with a post earlier saying that the mrad without the donut wasn’t released in the US on the 4.5-27.
Ok, gotcha. Thought I was reading somewhere that the donut was only on the 3-18. That reticle makes perfect sense for that scope.

Missed opportunity for the 4.5-27 with the donut and non-locking W.

Ok, gotcha. Thought I was reading somewhere that the donut was only on the 3-18. That reticle makes perfect sense for that scope.

Missed opportunity for the 4.5-27 with the donut and non-locking W.
Yes! I was thinking of contacting Meopta and seeing if they would switch out the reticle for me.

The MRAD RD version (no donut) is on its way down here in Aus.

Cant see the donut being useful on the 4.5-27 model.

Interested to see how they go with their reticle designs in the future. This scope was pretty much designed due to the USA markets demand right?

They have shown to be a forward thinking company so hopefully they’re in the process of sorting the turret/reticle scenarios.

I like the donut on them. Wish my other scopes had them. A good Christmas tree reticle and a donut or horseshoe on a 3-18 or 4.5-27 scope would make an ideal dual purpose optic.
I like to hunt a lot and the horseshoe or donut helps at lower power shots.

The reticle makes perfect sense in the 3-15. But the 4.5-27 would make a terrible hunting scope.

Meopta said they can’t change reticles. I don’t know if that meant they don’t want to, or they can’t, being they produce their own reticles in house. Hmmm..

The reticle makes perfect sense in the 3-15. But the 4.5-27 would make a terrible hunting scope.
That is unless it’s exactly what someone is looking for in a relatively high powered front focal scope that is quick and functional at low power which is what it’s clearly intended for.

And the 5-30 is clearly intended for the other segment of the population that will do what you wanted the other to do, only better.

So frustrating to see a scope like this get such trash offerings for reticles. As much as i want to buy it because it is the best scope for the money by far, I don't know if I can get over the reticle options. I wouldn't consider the options for reticle good for hunting or match shooting

So frustrating to see a scope like this get such trash offerings for reticles. As much as i want to buy it because it is the best scope for the money by far, I don't know if I can get over the reticle options. I wouldn't consider the options for reticle good for hunting or match shooting
I absolutely loved the form and function of the scope, I just couldn’t get past the reticle.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the 5-30? It comes with the non circle MRAD reticle.

To be honest I'm really not even fond of that reticle. It's usable, but for my current build a 30x really isn't a benefit. Also, I do prefer MOA based reticles, of which there are basically no options. I really wish meopta would show exact subtensions for all of the reticles, in mils and moa.