• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optimal 6mm twist

FLguy55

flguy55
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
FLORIDA
Alright kids. Gonna grab a 6mm gt barrel and I’m back and forth between 7 and 7.5 twist. So many arguments on both sides of this one and not a ton of feedback out there, especially for 6gt in particular. On one hand you’ve got GAP who created the thing and barrels tons of bartleins, and they’re 7.5. Pretty much everyone else is offering 7 twist, including for other 6mm chamberings. Proof does offer a 7.5 option. Berger stability calculator indicates a 7.5 will stabilize basically everything including 115s, at least at my average temps and elevation here in Florida. This is for a prs rifle and will probably be running 105 and 109 Berger hybrids which could mean 3050 fps. I don’t want to over twist them but need them stable out to say 1300 yards which isn’t uncommon in matches.

Hit me with your thoughts, especially those of you that are pretty deep in to a GT barrel.

I shoot 6 creed with a Bartlein 7.5 twist 105 hybrid going 3150 and it shoots lights out

Reactions: Iron Worker
Get the 7, it’s not gonna hurt and you aren’t going to overtwist anything intended to be shot at distance.

I'm running a 7.5 twist Hawk Hill in my 6X47 and I know it will stabilize a 115 RDF@2800 FPS, 2600' elevation, out to 1200 yards. I am a little curious to see how it will do with an 87 V-max if I ever go to shoot prairie poodles.

Reactions: CIB2007
I'm in the 7.5 or 8 twist camp. I run 105 to 110 range and dont go 115s. I won't go a 7 twist because my Smith has had to many 7 twist barrels that wouldn't shoot well

Last edited:
I have both... 7 and 7.5 for 6GT. Flip a coin.

Bartlein and Hawk Hill. Both barrels shoot better than me with 109 Berger hybrids.

FYI - Talked to Josh at PVA, who's been running 6MMs of all varieties for years, and he recommends 1:7 across the board without any concerns. So, that's the direction. I'll have no concerns about running Sierra 110s now, even if I end up in a match in the cold some day.

I would contact @Frank Green and let him know exactly what bullet and cartridge you will be shooting. Then get a gain twist Bartlien on order. Possibly one of the new special steel barrels.

I would contact @Frank Green and let him know exactly what bullet and cartridge you will be shooting. Then get a gain twist Bartlien on order. Possibly one of the new special steel barrels.
Is the special steel for a longer barrel life worth the $200ish extra + the charge for GT? I guess if he is a match competitor but as a recreational shooter I just went with SS.

Is the special steel for a longer barrel life worth the $200ish extra + the charge for GT? I guess if he is a match competitor but as a recreational shooter I just went with SS.

If their quotes for how much it gives you actually hold up, could be. Especially if you're gonna push the GT over 3000. I'd think the new steel could be a huge bang for the buck for the 6mm CM shooters. I've heard the new steel may be less impacted by long strings of fire where heats builds also. I know somebody who's got one, but on a bench gun, but it's a custom 6mm cartridge that pushes faster than a 6mm CM so time will tell.

For ~double the barrel life (which is what they are saying) then ~$200 is surely worth it for the new 400MODBB barrel?

If their quotes for how much it gives you actually hold up, could be. Especially if you're gonna push the GT over 3000. I'd think the new steel could be a huge bang for the buck for the 6mm CM shooters. I've heard the new steel may be less impacted by long strings of fire where heats builds also. I know somebody who's got one, but on a bench gun, but it's a custom 6mm cartridge that pushes faster than a 6mm CM so time will tell.

I'm thinking of a 400MODBB and am curious to know that it shoots as well as the 416R equivalent (cant see why it wouldn't).

If it does then thats the way I will be going, apart for an extra ~$200 up front there are no downsides.

I'm thinking of a 400MODBB and am curious to know that it shoots as well as the 416R equivalent (cant see why it wouldn't).

If it does then thats the way I will be going, apart for an extra ~$200 up front there are no downsides.

My buddy's shoots just as lights out as any other Bartlein SS barrel, of which he has several. He loves it.

My buddy's shoots just as lights out as any other Bartlein SS barrel, of which he has several. He loves it.

No other quantifiable differences either? Same effort / process to clean etc?

If there are no downsides (bar price), and it dont seem like it, take my money!

Anyone know what color this new material is (black / stainless etc)?

No other quantifiable differences either? Same effort / process to clean etc?

If there are no downsides (bar price), and it dont seem like it, take my money!

Anyone know what color this new material is (black / stainless etc)?
I’m guessing it’s whatever color cerakote you can get 😂😂

Reactions: Brazo
Because by the time it gets to me from bartlein it will be chambered and threaded.
Ah, fair enough. I will probably change my delivery address to go to Stewart Rifles since Matt will be doing the work for me. Would be cool if Manners stock and barrel order are finished at the same time then ship it all to him from the factory.