• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optimal barrel contour for a do all rifle

sprink21

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Just pulled the trigger on a new Tac30 for a 6.5 creedmoor build, now I need a barrel. Looking for opinions on a optimal barrel contour that'll be used on a target/match/hunting rig finished at 24"-26". I don't mind if it needs to be slightly more on the heavier side since I do more target shooting than hunting if that helps.

Medium Palma. I shot last season with that contour and saw zero ill effects from long strings of fire, and it weighs 1-2# less than the truck axle MTUs and M24s you commonly see on the firing line. You could certainly go heavier for a dedicated match rifle, but if you will be carrying it for long periods while hunting the extra weight isn't worth it IMO.

Many have gravitated towards palma/rem varmint contours(I have as well) They don't seem to give up any accuracy to the straight taper m40/m24's. If you go to bugholes and look at what he stocks, you get a pretty good picture of what people are buying.

Realistically, you could go pretty light on a 6.5cm and give up nothing in field accuracy. Just like length questions, the contour/weight you choose is a personal preference.

Even a Varmit contour can get heavy while hunting . Depends on your hunting style. Mostly mechanized ? Your good. 10 miles of backcountry hiking? Varmit/Palma can still get annoying. Doable but damn...

My .260 is my do-it-all rifle and I hung a 24" Rem Varmint Rock on it. I think it's perfect for hunting and comps, but I don't usually trek more than a half mile or so to the stand.

Rem Varmint. For rifles that I am going to carry a long way #4 is the minimum, or a fluted #5.

Medium Palma/ Remington varmint. I'm running a medium Palma on my surgeon action in 6.5 creed, i Use it mostly for hunting, but I'm not afraid to shoot a match with it either.

Reactions: beenjammin
All of mine are Rem varmint or Sendero contour. They're a good choice for hunting and banging steel . I don't compete so I can't comment on that

Just built a 6.5x47 on a tac 30 with a Hawk Hill Marksman contour finished at 24". It's pretty close to a med palma and I think its a great balance.

For hunting I prefer a 3 and comps I run a marksman all Hawk. If I were trying to combine the two I would go with a Proof Research in a Sendro Light or Sendro.

I would agree with the majority for remington varmint. Makes stock choice sometimes easier and availability of barrels.

Yup, I like sendero contours for hunting, everything else I'd go med palma, up to M24 if it's mostly a range/practice rifle, but even then they do get heavy. Great for helping with recoil on magnums though.

Another vote for a Rem Varmint contour. I still think this is heavy for a hunting rifle. But as some mentioned really depends on your needs and how you hunt, what kind of matches you want to shoot. For a dedicated, more hunting purpose rifle I don't think you can go wrong with a Tikka T3. Just me, but I don't like compromises. I'd build the best tool for the primary intended purpose. If that tool ends up not being ideal for hunting, I'd save my pennies and get a Tikka.

Mark

Thanks guys. As for how I hunt, deer hunting I mostly drive from clear cut to clear cut so I'm usually not walking more than a mile at each spot. Elk season is where I put on the miles and normally go anywhere between 3 and 8 miles in a day, just depends on which one of my spots I go to. My current rifle with the scope is 11lbs. It only starts to get annoying after day 4 of elk season where the sling rides on my shoulder.

I've got a medium palma, but I feel it might be a bit much for long hikes. I've got a light palma in the safe to shave some weight. A 3b wouldn't be a bad contour either for hunting.
xdeano

I'm in the process of building a Creedmoor on a Deviant Tactical action thats an all-around rifle (with a distinct edge to hunting) and I ended up going with a Bartlein 3b. I would have used a #3 but I needed more meat to thread it for a suppressor at 5/8x24. If you're not going to be doing a lot of walking with it, the #4 would be perfect. Straight flute it and it still ought to be pretty decent to carry. If you can afford it, look at the Proof barrels - you can go a lot heavier without giving up the weight.

I really like the Medium Palma as well. Seems to be heavy enough to not heat up too fast, but not too heavy to lug around.

Not a follower, I would say that a heavy sporter is plenty. I'm an Elder Fart, like the description reads, and I have no illusions about lugging anything but the barest necessary minimum around in the field.

I would also say that trying to make one rifle do all the things you suggested would not be my approach.

I'd get something I could actually use effectively for one extreme (in this case the hunter), then make another purchase down the line to accommodate the other extreme (stationary higher rate of fire shooting). Until this acquisition, I would use the hunter judiciously for other applications (I did once place high in a state sniper championship with a model 70 .30-'06 featherweight, the day after buying it).

Since you already have a Tac30, consider a Remage, which might be an even better answer to your original question. For one thing, it might allow a different chambering for hunting, with a heavier, easier wearing one for the sustained higher rate of fire application.

Greg

Last edited: