• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options - .17 .22 in a reasonable price range.

blkside

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
Lake Elsinore,Ca
Im looking for a few options and suggestions to get into rimfire shooting. I want to get into the smaller calibers to have a cheap fun alternative and also want to have a nice setup to start teaching my 4.5yr old son(5.5yr when I return from the desert)in the finer arts of how to fling money downrange.

I want to stay in the under 400 range (gun only)
I have a cheap Nikko Stirling that came on my Howa 1500 that I will probably stick on it if its not "too much" for such a small rifle.

All options are appreciated.

Re: Options - .17 .22 in a reasonable price range.

my CZ452 Varmint model, is my best shooting 22LR, it is a tack driver, I bought it new for 419.00. Excellent gun, and before I shot it I went a step further by lapping the barrel, and I enjoy the hell out of it.

You might look at CZ's youth rifle, it would fit him better now and you can upgrade to a full stock later on.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-scout/

I own both a savage mk2 and a CZ 452 both shoot better than me both needed some trigger work just depends on how much you want to spend.
I personally like the more robust action on the CZ
23k2mw7.jpg

I personally went the .17hmr rout. The ballistics are better than .22 but still on the cheep end. And I'm also a fan of savage rifles so I got the 93r17. I think now a days you can pick one up for about $220.

I'd go cz452 youth model in 22. As mentioned, you can add a new stock later as he grows, and 22 ammo is cheaper than 17.

.17HM2 rifles are pretty much out of production, ammo will never be cheaper than it is now.

.22LR is more flexible (more loads) and is more hearing safe if you have a place to shoot alone.

Take a look at the Savage MK11, now with the accutrigger or the CZ452. Both have lots of options and in a .22 caliber would be in your price range and economical to shoot as well.

i bought a savage 93 in 17hmr used with a scope for 250. holds good groups and brings terror amongst all the little critters out back.

I would go with a savage mark II in fv or bv model. Very straight shooter and only higher end models that cost $$$$ can out shoot it. I would use 22lr rifle more variety of ammo and alot cheaper than .17 cal ammo.

Thanks I am going to size the rifle to my son once I am home but I will def go with a .22 cause my goal is te get him shooting ALOT, and not break the bank.

I also vote for the MKII in that price range. Mine's everything I ever wanted from a rimfire and well under $400 for the blued bbl thumbhole btv. You can also talk to Tuck on rimfirecentral.com about turnin' out a custom youth stock for it.

They make a Mark II in youth now and it comes with Accutrigger so I think that will be what I get him as long as it fits him. He will be 5.5yrs old when I get back( damn that makes me sad) and he weighs 55lbs now and is 47 inches so he will be 6ft 8 225 by the time I return. lol

I have started my kids as early as 5 with shooting. You have to remember the need for it to be really easy for them to have success early on. Move the target really close and make sure you use a large bull.
Range time needs to be with a .22LR that has a length of pull small enough for your kid. The Cricket rifle at Wal-Mart is not a bad place to start. Once you are sure you have enough interest to warrant spending a few hundred dollars give Mac Tilton (MT Guns) a call. He built my daughter a very nice CZ Scout rifle with an adjustable butt plate.
Another option, when your kid is a bit bigger and can hold a youth rifle, is the CM-2 rifle by IZHMASH. Our junior shooting program uses this rifle with great success.
I would also suggest an air rifle with target sights for monitored home/backyard practice.
I could go on and on.... PM me if you care to hear it.

YGPM...

The kicker is going to be the effort to get him calmed down. Oh and the fact he doesnt like loud noises so I have to get some very good hearing protection for him.

Yes indeed. The correct state of mind is everything.
I was running the Boy Scout rifle merit badge for our area and there were some boys that I would not let shoot until they showed me that they could stay focused on my instruction. I'm not some guy who needs to dominate kids to feel important. I just could not put a firearm in thier hands until I knew they could demonstrate the attitude and focus required to be trusted at the range.
PM me your cell # and I will give you call sometime soon.

love my savage mk II, very accurate for the price, the 93 models are nice also.

for a bit more money, you can (in my opinion) step up to a cz 452. they seem a bit more "big rifley" and seem a bit more accurate that the savage (as a savage fan i can't believe i said that)

a guy at range feeds his varminter just about any type of ammo, and it does under 1.7" at 100 yards with the cheap bulk ammos, under 1" with the match stuff.

Another vote for the CZ, I have 4 Americans and a Varmint in HM2 and love them all, very nice looking and shooting rifles for the money, I try to use the Burris rimfire rings when possible.

Forgot to mention earlier the triggers on the CZ452 are somewhat lacking, at least the one I own is. Lots of creep. There are kits available that will help though. BUT THEY WILL SHOOT!

I just picked up a CZ452 heavy barrel in .17HMR today. I only had a Tasco 6-24 scope to try on it but it's definitely a shooter.

Well I appreciate all of the help you guys have given me and Sabre Cat is my new best friend. He has more knowledge that I could remember... good thing I type fast..
Thanks John

Yeah thats an option but I am going with SabreCat and thinkings suggestion and going with

main325_png_637x200_q85.png

I bought a Marlin 917vr .17 hmr back in August. I've had a .22 lr and had the Savage 93 .22 wmr. The Marlin .17 hmr is by far my favorite rifle I've had. It is very precise, has little recoil, and has a nice flat trajectory. Like shooting a laser. It is a bit more powerful, which will allow you to shoot more accurately at farther distances. Also the bullet is a lot faster and smaller. When you shoot at somewhat close distances, the bullet does not drop to a subsonic speed, so there is no turbulence there. Again, making it more accurate. Everybody has their own preferences and what works for them, but this is my favorite rifle so far.

The Fun Level of a 10/22 is hard to beat, especially when handed over to a kid
wink.gif

For fun a 10/22 is great. If you like to do a little work on it and make it more reliable with all brands of ammo and more accurate check out rimfirecentral.com

It is difficult to put all my thoughts down on rimfires (22LR variety), so I'll just list a few - from least expensive to more:

1) <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ruger 10/22 </span>- cheap ($180) initially but way too easy to drop way too much money on, but great fun and reasonably accurate, a whole cottage industry built around it
2) <span style="text-decoration: underline">Savage MK II </span>- ($220) very accurate esp heavy barrel ones with a great trigger (Accutrigger), maybe best buy on the low end
3) <span style="text-decoration: underline">Winchester Wildcat Varmit </span>- ($250) made in Russia and is a copy of the TOZ-78, incedibly accurate bolt rifle - don't discount it
4) <span style="text-decoration: underline">CZ 452 </span> ($300 up) in all varieties, more expensive, but when you handle and shoot one you'll see why
5) <span style="text-decoration: underline">CM-2 </span> Russian Olympic target rifle with Olympic style iron sights, incredibly accurate, new ($585 MT Guns) and used (varies with condition $279 up)

These are commonly considered the best values today IMHO, though there are lots of others I've missed. I have all except the CM-2. Great guns one and all.

For just a bit more the Sako Quads are still available for around $450 new and a bit cheaper used. This gives you the flexibility of shooting 22LR and getting another barrel and magazines and shooting a 17 HMR later (or a 17MKII, or 22 mag). The initial investment may be a bit higher but for a switch barrel gun it is the best value going and does not give up a thing to the others mentioned in accuracy (if not the most accurate out of the bunch).

Pat

mtgoat....You're right, I forgot one of the more popular choices - the Sako. I don't have one but the guys who do rave about them. Should have been on my list. I'm not finding any at the $450 price point though. More like $700 for one caliber and $1400 for all four barrel kits on Gunbroker.

Might try Whittakers and see if thay have any left. They were $450 new and last I checked they had all 4 caibers (it has been a few months).

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

Just checked and they are not showing any left on their website but would not hurt to ask.

Pat

Lots of options...can't go wrong with a CZ. 22LR for comparitively cheap shooting. 17s may serve a purpose but can't be had for the same ammo prices.

10/22s are great but I do not train beginners with semi-autos for obvious reasons.

Most important, what fits the student?

Look at a CZ 453 Varmint Heavy Barrel. Shoots Extremely Accurate,Has a set trigger,But the regular trigger isn't bad either,little creep but managble. Beautiful Wood and shoots almost everything very accurate. Cost a little more but in the long run its worth it. For a little less you might want to look at the Savage 93 line. Not as pretty but shoots awful good too. Good Luck in the Desert.