• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for large frame receiver sets

My Criterion (18", 1:10, .308) came with a .068 rifle length gas port. I could never get the bolt to hold open on heavy loads, and several brands of 150gr FMJ stuff wouldn't cycle...period...and I spent a lot of time and money on parts trying to remedy the problem.

After reading up on .308 gas port sizes, everything I found pointed to my gas port being undersized for that barrel length. I contacted Criterion, and was politely told that I was wrong and so were the websites.

Frustrated, I didn't know what to do until a nice gentleman from here who makes AR barrels PM'ed me and told me to open the port to .093 with my drill press. I guess he'd made a few thousand with the same barrel and gas length, and had always gone .093 (which is what I found on the internet).

I took my time with my press, and wow...never had a short stroke since. Took that rifle on quite a few hog hunts and it fed everything great without any other change. It would be a touch overgassed if you ran a non-adjustable gas block...but an AGB is an easy thing to tune.

I had that upper apart completely three times trying to find out where I was wrong. I'd also spent a lot of money on springs and buffers by that point...guess I have more spare parts on the bright side.

That 18" Criterion shoots well too...but I'll never buy another of their barrels.

Just my mileage, YMMV.
My first question to people that are having short-stroking issues is:

“What’s your gas port diameter?"

I used roam receivers and handguard, proof barrel, and JP BCG. Definitely wasn’t a thermofit but it seems to shoot better than me.

IMG_7120.jpeg

Reactions: B Man and msgriff