• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for LE Ar 15 using PRI Gen 3

speedball1969

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2008
Gallatin, TN
I have started building my ar 15 to carry in my patrol vehicle. Due to the dept limited funds only s.w.a.t. and prior military are issued ar's which equals 3 out of 17 on evening shift. This does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I have my lower assembled and need a upper that is compact and lightweight. The only certain is I would like to use the Pri Gen 3 free float handguard. I need help with everything else. Would I be better off buying from DPMS or Bushmaster and changing the handguard or building my own.

Im wanting a flat top upper, flip up front and rear sights, EoTech with magnifier, and maybe a 16" flutted barrel for weight savings. I would like to be in the upper minus optics for less than $700.

Looking for options and opinions.
Thanks
Robert

Re: Options for LE Ar 15 using PRI Gen 3

By insisting on a PRI Gen III handguard only,you have already blown over $300 of your $700 budget.This leaves you with only $400 to purchase an upper receiver,BCG,barrel,and flip up sights,and maybe a flash suppressor.This is not a whole lot of $$$ to build a quality AR your life may depend on.I would forgo the fancy PRI,buy an aluminum FF tube for the time being and spend the money on a quality barrel,BCG,and receiver.You can always sell the FF tube later and upgrade.JMHO.

Yeah, gotta agree with Sandrat. I love my PRI ff handguard, but they are spendy. For $700 I would focus on a quality barrel with 1:7 or 1:8 twist and quality BCG. I'd look at the BCM offerings. If I was doing a 16", I'd take a long and hard look at the mid-length gas system.

Some suggestions:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-PRI-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20pri12bk.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-MI-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20mi%20ss12.htm

With both of these you will need a BCG and charging handle ($145 extra), so depending on how firm your budget of $700 is, you may want to consider saving up a bit longer and getting what you really want. Also, neither of these options come with BUISs, so factor that into the equation as well. Getting all you want for under $700 is a tall order. You may find everything used for under that price, but you will look long and hard before you fine all the parts. I think you need to re-think your budget.

If I was you, I would buy this Stag upper and not even worry about the FF handguard until you learn to run the rifle

---> <span style="font-weight: bold">Link</span>

Here it is:

2ht11.gif

This comes with a flip up rear sight and a fixed front sight. Also a rail system and will do as you need it to ASAP at $700

If you get the EO-tech get a riser. You will love it, because it puts the back up iron sights in the lower 1/3rd of the window and you can then run the EO tech and the Irons up at all times without any issues of the front sight post getting in your way. BUT you ca go to the irons if the EO-tech fails.

---> link

John

Check out Rock River they have some deals going or buy a used set up I have seen plenty of complete weapons for less that $700.
Scot

IMHO you can not put a price on a weapon that is used for work to save your life.. i agree with others, in saying buy a upper rra, stag, bcm, ect. then later down the road you can get the pri free float handguard..

Sorry i have not been on in a few days, I missed the reply's. I have the BCG and Charging Handle from a previous build. I like the stag upper as pictured but of course anything would be better than having nothing. I have decided to go as mentioned and just save for the PRI later. Thanks guys!

SwatSgt, thanks for the PM. i will get back to you later.

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet. But you might see if you can get a letterhead from your department stating your purchase will be used for LE use only (letter of intent). If you want I can pm you some links. It may help in the limited funds area.

James b.