• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for painting AICS skins?

Reaper130

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
PA
Heard that duracoat doesn't work well on the skins (doesn't stick), which makes sense to me. A quality builder said they would only do hyrdo dipping.

Anyone have experience with this? Looking to have mine done in A-Tacs if possible.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Shortbus painted mine MARPAT and they have held up very well. Mine are on my duty rifle and are exposed to stalks and all kinds of rough treatment and are doing just fine.

Sully

As far as adhesion to AICS skins; Duracoat is just as good as Ceracoat ignoring the finish itself in build and gloss. I'm not an expert Duracoat or coating person but I think it got a bad rap in the wider market. AICS skins are preparation intensive, it's an oily plastic. I’m a hack and I have sets that are well proven.... after a substantial learning curve. For time & materials, I wouldn’t want to make it an add-on either per the gunsmith. You want a pattern per cost, go hydro but it’s a T&M aspect, not a durability plus.

Last edited:
Shortbus painted mine MARPAT and they have held up very well. Mine are on my duty rifle and are exposed to stalks and all kinds of rough treatment and are doing just fine.

Sully

Does he have a website or contact info? Thanks.

I'm not an expert Duracoat or coating person but I think it got a bad rap in the wider market.

Duracoat in my experience is a good product and will adhere to almost anything within reason and when it's properly prepared. I think most peoples negative experiences with Duracoat stems from improper object prep and or not mixing the paint/hardener together correctly. I have items I practiced on that aren't the best job but they are still coated to this day despite daily wear/use. So when I hear/read about flaking/chipping of a duracoat finish I can't help wonder if its user error and or severe treatment of the item.

Duracoat is not rattle can painting, it does require a bit more prep and skill in its application but it's not beyond the average person's skill set IMO and it is quite durable when done right.

Thank you so much fellas. I'm going to give SB and Dimensions a call tomorrow and see about a quote.

+1 for shortbus he did my skins. They look great and hold up well. Brandon is top notch!

You can cruise the gallery on Cerakote's website for some great examples as well. Also lists which shop did the paint...just another option.

Hydro-Dipping is another great option and its relatively cheap. You would probably be under $200 if you shipped the stuff off to get it dipped. You can also do A-tacs, Kryptek, Marpat, or most of the other popular camo choices.