• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Options for training rifle

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

The go-to .22 seems to be the CZ 455 in one of its many variants. Is this a safe bet to work on fundamentals for 6 cents a round instead of a dollar a round? Anyone using some OTHER rifle that doesn't cost as much as a new AMG? Or that isn't in a museum?

Has to be bolt action and has to cost under $600. Would like a shorter barrel so that if I were to ever shoot suppressed I'm not trying to hold a spear.

If this has already been answered, please send me the link.

Thanks and God bless America

I do exactly this as a good bolt action will allow you to practice the fundamentals using cheaper ammunition. I don't know about 6 cents a round. Decent rimfire ammunition like Aguila runs about 10 cents a round. Match grade rimfire costs considerably more but still way less than centerfire ammunition.

The CZ 455 is a really nice stick. A couple of my buds use them with great success. If they made a LH version, I would buy one. Get a decent optic as well. I went with an SWFA SS 3-15x and would recommend that brand highly if you want a terrific value and precise tracking. Their fixed power scopes are an even lower cost.

For the $ it is hard to beat the CZ. You can get luck with a Savage as some of them shoot.

Even though you might spend .30-40 per shot for high end Eley or Lapua, keep in mind your barrel will last a lot longer than a centerfire barrel. More savings.

I am shooting a 40X Elrod repeater that weighs and balances the same as my AXMC. Unfortunately it likes Eley Match.

Gents,

Thanks for the replies. Hoser, that rifle is a work of art. Good points on the ammo (I guess 5,000 rounds of auto match might not be a slam dunk) and barrel life.

God bless America

Fun factor for me goes to the .22. Realistically if you reload I think you could shoot .223 for nearly the same price as good quality rimfire. A nice rimfire is a highly enjoyable thing to me. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to choose.

Browning T-bolt. Since it has a straight pull bolt you may deduct some points for training realism, but it is very accurate, is available with a threaded barrel, and has 10 round mags.

i'm curious as to why no one's mentioned Ruger products. Even the model 77 takes 10/22 magazines, and they have a new model - the American - good name, hope the quality's worthy of it. I almost feel like if I can't have a rifle like Hoser's that I should just stick with my Marlin model 60 and invest in ammo.

Thanks for the replies, got a lot to think about.

God bless America

i'm curious as to why no one's mentioned Ruger products. Even the model 77 takes 10/22 magazines, and they have a new model - the American - good name, hope the quality's worthy of it. I almost feel like if I can't have a rifle like Hoser's that I should just stick with my Marlin model 60 and invest in ammo.

Thanks for the replies, got a lot to think about.

God bless America

Rugers are good products for what they are but they are made at a price point. A low price point.

The semi auto's take a lot of work(Fun) and $$$ to be able to shoot as well as many bolts out of the box. Same for the marlin repeaters. Semi auto actions have more moving parts than their bolt counterparts and often looser tolerances by nature. Plus it will be a less effective trainer,

The model 77, has been to known to be expensive and not always shoot that well. After market support for the 77, marlins, and savages is not what the 10/22 or cz is.

I personally have no experience with the american rugers.

The consensus about cz's is that they shoot well out of the box and shoot even better if built up. Thats been my experience. At this point there is quite the after market support as well.

Your experience and opinion may not match mine.

Michigan man, thanks for the advice. When the time comes, I guess a 455 it is.

I posted in the bear pit about lessons learned, and the smart move now might be to get to where I'm shooting up to my Wal-mart special before I invest in the CZ. At least there seems to be a big community of CZ shooters, and if the aftermarket market is as good as you indicate, it's a win-win; when the time comes.

Thanks to all for your comments,

God bless America

Michigan man, thanks for the advice. When the time comes, I guess a 455 it is.

I posted in the bear pit about lessons learned, and the smart move now might be to get to where I'm shooting up to my Wal-mart special before I invest in the CZ. At least there seems to be a big community of CZ shooters, and if the aftermarket market is as good as you indicate, it's a win-win; when the time comes.

Thanks to all for your comments,

God bless America

I think thats a great plan. Get to the point where the rifle is the only thing holding you back. Then start looking for a better rifle. I have come a long way since when I first started, but I still have a long way to go. Currently the cz 455 aftermarket is great and i expect it to get better. I wouldnt discount the model 60 Walmart special you have, its just not a true trainer rifle, and has limitations.

Those lessons are good points, and most of us; if we are wise, will come to realize them sooner rather than later.

I'd go with the CZ455 trainer that comes with the Manners stock

Even though you might spend .30-40 per shot for high end Eley or Lapua, keep in mind your barrel will last a lot longer than a centerfire barrel. More savings.

I am shooting a 40X Elrod repeater that weighs and balances the same as my AXMC. Unfortunately it likes Eley Match.

When your optic is worth more than my entire setup. Wow that thing looks killer! Been debating on buying the Manners stock for my 452. I already have all the other upgrades except barrel and stock. It's about time to replace the barrel, 7000 plus rounds. Only a few FTF.

I bought the Ruger American Predator Rimfire for my daughter to learn to shoot with and it is surprisingly accurate with $20 a box for 325 Federal Auto Match.

i will try to post a 10 shot group I shot with it last Sunday distance was 25 yards. Has a Leupold vari-x II 2-7 on it right now.

I would think the new Ruger American Target model would be a good option, and can be had online for $400.

IMG_2232.JPG

I don't know if that is good accuracy for 25 or if it is a standard for 50. The large square that consists of 16 of the smallest squares is a 1" by 1" square.

As soon as I can shoot that good (unsupported) you can all line up for my autograph!!

Rookie7, nice shooting and congrats on doing it on the cheap.

God bless America

That wasn't unsupported shooting. I used a generic bipod and a TAB gear rear bag while I was prone.

thanks