• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope

Aries64

Deep Behind Enemy Lines in IsWokestan!
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Fellow Hiders -

Several years ago I bought a Zeiss Diascope 65T FL spotting scope and a Zeiss Vario Eyepiece. I also planned to buy the Zeiss Fixed Eyepiece with the #43 Mildot reticle. Unfortunately for me, Zeiss Germany stopped exporting their Fixed Mildot Eyepiece and I couldn't find a dealer who had one in stock or could get one when I was ready to buy the Eyepiece. I spent close to four years looking for a Zeiss #43 Mildot Eyepiece to no avail.

Finally giving-up on ever being able to get one of the Zeiss #43 Mildot Eyepieces and knowing that obtaining the [Fixed] MIL reticle Eyepiece Zeiss produced for the Finnish Army was nothing more than a pipedream I started looking at other MIL reticle spotter options. I wanted a compact, lightweight spotting scope with superb image quality in a 45-degree angle body like my Diascope 65T FL. I also wanted as much eye relief as possible for use with glasses, so my options were rather limited.

After lots and lots of research I decided on the HD version of the Optolyth S80 Compact . Optolyth isn't as well known in the U.S. as Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, or Vortex, but their optics lineup and products are excellent. In the photographic world Optolyth lenses are considered to be right (at the top) with Zeiss. I bought the Optolyth 20-60X variable Eyepiece and a 30X Wide Angle Eyepiece with rotating MIL Hash reticle. The rotating reticle is really cool, as you can orient the reticle to be "square" regardless of the orientation of the Scope's Body within it's Rotating Collar.

Optolyth Compact Ergonomics:

Optolyth Compacts feature aluminum bodies with rubber-armor, Single Focus knobs, and 360-degree Rotating Collars. The G80 is a "Straight" model and the S80 is an "Angled" model. Both are available in both HD and non-HD versions. The HD versions use Fluorite glass.

The Bodies of the Optolyth Compacts are streamlined and taper gracefully from front to rear compared to the Zeiss Diascope 65T & 85T FL Bodies, whose Focus Knob "hump" and rear end are rather abrupt and bulky. Another nice touch is that the Optolyth Compacts have a threaded ring on the Body where the Eyepiece attaches. A hard plastic Dust Cover is supplied and can be threaded on to cover and protect the Eyepiece when not in use.

The rubber armor cushions the body from knocks and bumps, and the texture of Optolyth's rubber armor is similar to the texture of the rubber armor on the Swarovski spotters and the LG30 Laser Guide. The color is bluish compared the Swarovski Forest Green.

The Single Focus Knob glides smoothly throughout the adjustment range, and "dials-in" rapidly. After getting used to the Dual (Coarse and Fine Focus) Knobs of my (previous generation) Diascope 65T FL I found that I had to tweek the Focus very slowly for the most exacting focus. The newest generation Diascopes' have single focus knobs rather than the dual focusing knobs of previous Diascopes'.

S80 HD Compact Body:

The S80 Compact's Body is about .75" longer than the Body of the Diascope 65T FL, but because Zeiss Eyepieces are longer than Optolyth Eyepieces the S80 Compact actually winds-up being about the same OAL as a Diascope 65T FL and substantially shorter than a Diascope 85T FL once Eyepieces are attached their respective spotters. My S80 HD Compact equipped with the Optolyth 20-60X variable Eyepiece weighs just under 1 lb. more than my non-rubber armored 65T FL equipped with the Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece.

Optolyth attaches the Eyepieces to the Body securely via standard threading rather than a bayonet attachment as on the Zeiss Diascopes'.

Optolyth Eyepieces:

The 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece is fun to use, providing a wide FOV and razor-sharp, bright image behind it's MIL-based reticle. Optolyth offers a 30X WA for use on the 80mm Optolyths, and a 45X WA Eyepiece for use on the 100mm Optolyths. The reticle is placed in the lower half of the view and is designed to be used with the median leveled on the object under observation. The reticle has 10 MILs' of windage each direction and 15 MILs' of Elevation. There are 1 MIL tall hashes at each MIL and half-MIL tall hashes at each .5 MIL. In addition, there are "+" Elevation indicators every 5 MILs' from the center of the reticle's "aiming point".

The really cool thing (besides being a MIL Eyepiece) is that the reticle rotates within the Eyepiece so the reticle can be oriented perfectly regardless of the position of the Scope Body's orientation within the Rotating Ring, a big plus when the scope is offaxis from you and/or the scope Body is rotated either Right or Left). The ring that rotates the reticle is rubber-covered and is just forward of the Diopter Ring.

Also, Optolyth's MIL Reticle drawing isn't drawn to scale at all. The Reticle is actually much larger than depicted in the drawing - maybe 25% larger. As a result the SW and SE "corners" are much closer to the edge than shown in the Optolyth drawing. The number "15" of the Elevation Scale is especially close to the edge.

The Optolyth 30X WA Eyepieces have noticeably longer Eye Relief than the Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece, which makes viewing very easy. The 30X WA Eyepieces' have fold-down Rubber Eyecups, and eyeglass wearers' will need to fold-down the Eyecup for best eye relief.

The 20-60X Eyepiece has extreme clarity at both low and high power. While the clarity isn't as quite as good at full (60X) as it is at lower power it is still very good. Anyone with any experience and understanding of optics knows that the clarity of all variable magnification optics declines as the magnification increases - it is just less so with higher end optics such as Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Optolyth, and the Kowa's flagship 88mm Prominar.

As with the Optolyth 30X WAs', the Optolyth 20-60X has noticeably longer Eye Relief than the Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece, making viewing very easy. The Optolyth 20-60X and 30-60X Eyepieces' have Rubber Eyecups, and eyeglass wearers' will need to leave the Eyecups folded down for best eye relief.

S80 HD Compact Optical Performance:

OK, so the Optolyth S80 HD Compact is relatively compact and lightweight (its' kind of strange to say that since the S80 Compact weighs 4 lbs., 1.8 oz. with either the Variable or Fixed Eyepieces), but what about the optical quality? How does it compare to a Zeiss? Remember that my criteria were compact size, lightweight, superb image quality, generous eye relief, and 45-degree angle body.

I needed another tripod for a side-by side comparison so I headed down to my brother's house to borrow a second tripod. Mounting my Diascope 65T FL with it's Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece on a Manfrotto 3221 alongside my new Optolyth S80 HD Compact with Optolyth 20-60X Eyepiece on top of my Gitzo 1550T my brother and I adjusted the Eyepieces of both scopes to apparent equivalent magnifications. We then looked at the leaves and branches of nearby elm and eucalyptus trees in sunlight and shadow.

My brother and I both noted that the view through the Zeiss 65T FL was noticeably brighter than the view through the Optolyth S80 HD Compact. This extra bright view gave the 65T FL a slight - and I mean very slight, edge when peering into the shadows and in overall clarity and the ability to discern detail. The downside is that the 65T's "brightness" tends to give the image a somewhat "washed-out" look compared to the Optolyth S80 HD Compact and a Swarovski. Anyone who has looked through a Diascope alongside a Swarovski HD knows what I'm talking about.

The S80 HD Compact has markedly better color rendition - the colors are more life-like without being over-saturated. The color and contrast are so good and the view is so sharp that the image looks 3D. Its' that good. Still, while the image is razor-sharp and has excellent depth-of-field, I still have to give a slight - and I mean very slight , edge to the Diascope 65T FL for overall clarity. I attribute this to Zeiss' lens coatings, which are arguably the best in the optics world.

In low light performance, the S80 HD Compact was definitely superior. I was able to discern individual trees and bushes in the dark more easily with the S80 HD Compact than with my 65T FL. However, in my opinion (and to my 47 year-old eyes), the difference is not overwhelming. This is despite the S80 HD Compact's 15mm Objective Lens diameter advantage over the 65T FL. Chock it up to superior lens coatings' or better execution of optical design, the 65T FL held it's own against the S80 HD Compact more than an hour after sunset and in the pre-dawn hours of morning. The S80 Compact's 15mm Objective advantage only becomes more pronounced in very low light.

So, (to my brother and I) the 65T FL holds a slight edge in daylight optical performance over the larger, heavier S80 HD Compact, while the tables are turned after dark. Is it worth carrying around an extra pound of scope in your pack just for the slightly better low light performance? Not to me.

If your main criteria is image quality and you don't care about a MIL reticle I would probably choose a Zeiss Diascope 65T FL or the bigger Zeiss Diascope 85T FL as they are probably going to provide brighter images than the current Optolyth HD Compacts'. However, as the Zeiss Mildot Eyepieces are harder to find than hen's teeth these days, if you want a MIL reticle Eyepiece the Optolyth S80 HD is the better bet as the optical performance is very close to the Zeiss 65T FL and a 30X MIL Eyepiece is readily available. And once you've used it, you realize that the rotating reticle of the Optolyth MIL Eyepiece is a must-have feature on an Eyepiece that is used on a spotting scope with a rotating collar.

When the 30X Wide Angle Fixed Eyepiece is attached, or when the 20-60X Eyepiece is attached and turned-down to "low" magnification (<30X), there is a very faint grayish halo around the outer edge of the view. I'm not sure what it is, but its' as if the gray anodized barrel (which extends more than an inch forward of the Objective Lens) is just within the "corner" of the extreme edges of the view. It doesn't seem to be vignetting, as the image at the edge is still bright, colorful, and sharp. You have to look for it. Not a deal-breaker, but I know its' there.

Also, my S80 HD Compact has a slight yellowish cast to the image. Naturally-occurring Fluorite crystals come in all colors of the spectrum (the colors are caused by impurities in the crystal). Therefore, color casts are "normal" with Fluorite glass. However, Pure Fluorite, such as is used in the Kowa Prominar 883 and 884 is colorless. This is probably one of the primary factors in the 88mm Prominar's wonderful resolution and color fidelity.

I really like my new Optolyth S80 HD Compact, but have four (4) gripes about it:

(1) See "NOTES": above. While a bit annoying I don't "focus" on it, and I don't regret buying my S80 HD Compact or selling my Diascope 65T FL. Like most scopes, the 65T FL had a slight loss of "flatness" and clarity at the extreme edge of the view. I didn't sell my 65T FL until I had evaluated the two scopes side-by-side, and based on that comparision I highly recommend the S80 HD Compact - especially if you want the option of a MIL-based Eyepiece. And remember, only Optolyth offers a MIL Reticle Eyepiece that rotates to keep the reticle square to the horizon.

(2) The barrel isn't threaded to accept a filter. This prevents me from using a Hoya SMC UV Haze Filter to protect the Objective lens. Nothing I can do about this so I have to drive-on.

(3) The Pivot Tension Knob on the Rotating Collar is rather tall, and it's shaft is too long. As a result the Pivot Tension Knob sticks-out conspicuously, ready to snag on anything that gets too close. If I can't easily find a lower profile knob to replace the factory knob I'll probably just shorten the shaft on the factory knob so it doesn't stick-out so damn far.

(4) Both of my Eyepieces were missing one protective cap each as they came from the factory. The 20-60X Eyepiece was missing the cap that fits over the Ocular end, and the 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece was missing the protective cap that fits over the Objective end. The factory may have figured that the Eyepiece will be threaded into the Body and the Eyepiece Cover will be used to protect the Eyepiece when the scope isn't in use, but what if the Eyepiece(s) aren't on the Body or you have multiple Eyepieces?

Great scope and eyepieces, but Optolyth shorts you on a couple of .02 cent caps that protect the lenses of $500.00 Eyepieces. WTF? I measured the O.D.s' of both ends of both Eyepieces and will be buying some quality push-on lens caps to protect the Eyepiece lenses when off the Body. Annoying, as good German-made lens caps run $10.00 or more depending on the size.

I've contacted a couple of Hide Vendors and plan on having one of them sew me a padded, custom SOC (Stay-On-Case) and couple of padded Eyepiece Cases so they don't get bashed around too much in my drag bag or other packs. The availability and production schedule of those Vendors is key in who will be my choice.

Zeiss Diascope 65T FL Body (left) compared to Optolyth S80 HD Compact Body (right):
Zeiss65TFLOptolythS80HDCompactOH8x6.jpg

Zeiss Diascope 65T FL & Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece (left) compared to Optolyth S80 HD Compact & Optolyth 20-60X Eyepiece (right):
Zeiss65TFLOptolythS80HDCompactOH28x6.jpg

Zeiss Diascope 65T FL & Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece (back) compared to Optolyth S80 HD Compact & Optolyth 20-60X Eyepiece (front):
Zeiss65TFLOptolythS80HDCompact28x6.jpg

Zeiss Diascope 65T FL & Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece (top) compared to Optolyth S80 HD Compact & Optolyth 20-60X Eyepiece (bottom):
Zeiss65TFLOptolythS80HDCompactOH38x6.jpg

Optolyth 30X Wide Angle (Left), Zeiss Vario Zoom Eyepiece (Center), and Optolyth 20-60X Zoom Eyepiece (Right):
OptolythZeissEyepieces28x6.jpg

Optolyth S80 HD Compact with Eyepiece Cover threaded-on:
S80HDCompactLSProfilewCovers28x6.jpg

Optolyth S80 HD Compact Eyepiece. Note threads for Eyepiece Cover on the S80's Body:
S80CompactEPThreads8x6.jpg

Drawing of Optolyth MIL Ranging Reticle (Reticle not drawn to scale):
OptolithFixedEyepieceRangingReticle.jpg

Gitzo GT1550T Traveller Tripod + Really Right Stuff BH-30 LR Compact Head and Optolyth S80 HD Compact
w/30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece. Here the scope is set-up to the Left of the shooter/spotter. The spotting
scope has been rotated to the Right within it's Collar, while the Eyepiece's Reticle has been rotated to the
Left to remain "square" with the target
S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRRSRA18x6.jpg

S80HDCompactGT1550TRRSBH-30LRRSFA28x6.jpg

Keith

Last edited:
Re: Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope

I wish there were more reviews on gear as in depth as yours. Please if you could keep us in the loop as to how your custom SOC (Stay-On-Case) and couple of padded Eyepiece Cases come out from the vendor you go with. As my funds will allow there will be a Optolyth S80 HD Compact in my future.

Again a great review!

I have the same scope with the 30x reticle eye piece also, and mine (30x) has a very short eye relief compared to the 20-60x. I also like mine and think it was the scope to buy. I am very interested in the stay on cover and if you could pass on the info of who makes one for you I will order one also. Very nice review and thanks for the info in advance for the cover.

Would like to see a pic looking thru the spotter with the mil reticle in place .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish there were more reviews on gear as in depth as yours. Please if you could keep us in the loop as to how your custom SOC (Stay-On-Case) and couple of padded Eyepiece Cases come out from the vendor you go with. As my funds will allow there will be a Optolyth S80 HD Compact in my future.

Again a great review! </div></div>
Thanks for the complement on my write-up Boris. It took a long time for me to write it up, and even then I edited the post several times because I would think of something else I forgot to mention before. Its' nice to know that a few people have actually read what I wrote and appreciate the effort. As I mentioned in my original post, Optolyth isn't as well known here in the U.S. as well as Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Leupold, or Vortex (I forgot Kowa!). Thats' really a shame, as I think that my S80 HD Compact is a great scope that compares well to Zeiss and has a 30X WA MIL reticle Eyepiece option that is readily available. I also think that given the features and performance the price is very fair.

I definitely need to put a call in about my custom SOC. The Vendor was supposed to contact me more than a week ago when he returned from vacation, but I haven't heard from him. I figured I'd let him catch his breath so I haven't called him. I'm going to have to send the S80 to him, so nows' as good a time as any since my X-Ray 51 is being re-fitted at Tac Ops. Stay tuned for news about my S80 Compact's SOC and Eyepiece Cases.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul@Trigger Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the same scope with the 30x reticle eye piece also, and mine (30x) has a very short eye relief compared to the 20-60x. I also like mine and think it was the scope to buy.</div></div>
Yes, the 30X WA definitely has short Eye Relief compared to the 20-60X (especially when the 20-60X isn't cranked-up to 60X). However, the 30X WA's Eye Relief is still better than the Zeiss Vario 15-45X/20-60X Eyepiece I had on my Zeiss Diascope 65T FL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paul@Trigger Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am very interested in the stay on cover and if you could pass on the info of who makes one for you I will order one also. Very nice review and thanks for the info in advance for the cover. </div></div>
Like I said to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Boris</span></span> above, thanks for the complement on my write-up. I'll probably post a write-up on my SOC and Eyepiece Cases once I get them made-up, then post a link to that thread along with some photos of it here.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to see a pic looking thru the spotter with the mil reticle in place . </div></div>
I <span style="font-style: italic">knew</span> that someone would ask about reticle photos. I can never get decent through-the-scope photos, so I was waiting to buy the Optolyth Digi-S Digital Camera Adapter before I took photos of the reticle to post. However, since you asked, I just ran outside in the fading light with the S80 HD Compact and my wife's Coolpix Point & Shoot and snapped the photo below, which isn't of the quality I usually shoot and post. It was difficult to hold the camera and get the right eye relief.

Please keep-in-mind that the photo below isn't up to my normal quality of photo (those who've seen previous photos I've shot know that my photos are typically pretty damn good). The photo DOES NOT REPRESENT the clarity of the image or how the the reticle appears in-person. The photo is off-center, out-of-focus, and gray, but it gives you guys (and gals) something to look at to get an idea of the scale until I get my Optolyth DCA and can shoot better photos to post.

If you compare my through-the-reticle photo to Optolyth's MIL Reticle drawing you can see that the Optolyth drawing isn't drawn to scale at all. The Reticle is actually much larger than depicted in the drawing - maybe 25% larger. As a result the SW and SE "corners" are much closer to the edge than shown in the Optolyth drawing. The number "15" of the Elevation Scale is especially close to the edge.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Crappy, off-center, through-the-scope photo of the Optolyth MIL-based "Ranging" Reticle:</span></span>
DSCN23958x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth MIL Ranging Reticle (Reticle is not drawn to scale nor is location within the view accurate):</span></span>
OptolithFixedEyepieceRangingReticle373x369.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Mock-up" view of Optolyth 30X WA MIL Reticle as seen through S80 Compact. (Reticle size and location have been adjusted):</span></span>
Optolith30XWAMILReticleViewMock-up.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth "Digi-S" Digital Camera Adapter for "Fixed" (Non-Collapsable) Spotting Scope:</span></span>
OptolythDCA.jpg

Keith

Thanks for the pics , looks very good , one more Question , why the compact instead of the TBS model ( seems the TBS model is a bit lighter in weight ? ) .

Cheers Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thanks for the pics , looks very good , one more Question , why the compact instead of the TBS model ( seems the TBS model is a bit lighter in weight ? ) .

Cheers Chris </div></div>
You're welcome Chris. While the HD version of the TBS 80 is actually quite a bit lighter (about nine [9] oz. lighter) than the HD version of the S80 Compact, I prefer the smaller size of the S80 Compact to the lighter weight of the TBS 80. The TBS 80 is nearly three (3) inches (75mm/2.95276" to be exact) longer than the S80 Compact, and as I mentioned in my original post the S80 Compact is about the same length as a Diascope 65T FL when Eyepieces are attached to their respective scopes. Aesthetically, I prefer the sleek, modern design of the S80 Compact over the TBS 80, which is an older design.

Just for you, below is another through-the-scope photo I shot in the early evening today to minimize mirage but while there was still light out. As with my previous through-the-scope photo, the photo below was shot while I held the camera and tried to maintain proper eye relief so the image was visible (its' a little shaky). It was also shot in fading light, 90+ degree heat, and over a freeway, so there is a bit of mirage, crappy air, and camera shake that muddies the image a bit. After I get my Digi-S DCA I won't be struggling to hold the camera at the proper angle and eye relief, and I hope to be able to get steady, centered photos and be able to capture the entire reticle.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Through-the-scope photo of Optolyth 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece. The "+" at -5 MILs' Elevation is at 1,032 yards:</span></span>
DSCN24938x6.jpg

Keith

Below is a "mock-up" of what Optolyth's 30X WA MIL Reticle actually looks like when viewed through my Optolyth S80 HD Compact. The size and placement of the reticle is very different from Optolyth's drawing, as <span style="font-weight: bold">Optolyth's drawing shows a smaller reticle, and as a result the lower corners of the reticle are much further from the edges of the view than what is seen in-person <span style="font-style: italic">(at least when viewed through an 80mm scope).</span></span> For comparison, I also posted a picture of Optolyth's drawing of the MIL Reticle.

As I mentioned in my original post that began this thread, Optolyth makes a 45X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece for use with the 100mm Optolyths, and the view through one of the Optolyth 100mm scopes with the 45X WA MIL Eyepiece might very well look like Optolyth's drawing. I've never seen a 100mm Optolyth spotting scope in-person, let alone looked through one with the 45X Optolyth MIL Reticle Eyepiece.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Mock-up" view of Optolyth 30X WA MIL Reticle as seen through S80 Compact. (Reticle size and location have been adjusted):</span></span>
Optolith30XWAMILReticleViewMock-up.jpg

Below is Optolyth's MIL Reticle drawing. Notice that the Reticle is smaller, placing the Reticle's lower "corners" further from the edge of the view - that is not an accurate depiction of the actual view (at least through an Optolyth 80mm scope).

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth MIL Ranging Reticle drawing:</span></span>
OptolithFixedEyepieceRangingReticle373x369.jpg

Keith

I really like the look of the reticle , seems a good overal package .

I am in a bit of a different bind , I want a really good spotter with a mil reticle , and I live outside the USA .

So for me the price of say a Zeiss Spotter 60 , is a BIT different from the USA price of 5k .

Looking at this S80 with the reticle , is about $2775 , the Zeiss Spotter60 is $3695 , so for me the GAP is narrower , from the price of this to say a purpose built Mil Spotter .

I wish , they had a better reticle in the Spotter60 , and I know , that as soon as I buy one , they will come out with a better reticle design .

I feel Zeiss should make a version of the FinnArmy reticle avaiable for both thier 65 & Dia spotters , and upgrade the Spotter60 reticle as well , than they would be covering the whole field .

Good pics , thanks for the time .

Cheers Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the look of the reticle , seems a good overal package .</div></div>
The Optolyth S80 HD is a great spotting scope Chris - razor-sharp image quality, awesome color rendition, and great depth-of-field in a smooth rubber-armored aluminum Body. The 20-60X Eyepiece is great, but the 30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece is what really sold me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am in a bit of a different bind , I want a really good spotter with a mil reticle , and I live outside the USA .

So for me the price of say a Zeiss Spotter 60 , is a BIT different from the USA price of 5k .

Looking at this S80 with the reticle , is about $2775 , the Zeiss Spotter60 is $3695 , so for me the GAP is narrower , from the price of this to say a purpose built Mil Spotter .</div></div>
Thats' a great price on the Spotter 60. Too bad it costs more in the U.S. and it is only available in a "Straight" model.

I'm sure that you could also find a distributor or retailer that will sell you an Optolyth with the MIL Reticle Eyepiece in place of the 20-60X Eyepiece if you don't want or need the 20-60X. I find it a lot more versatile to have both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish , they had a better reticle in the Spotter60 , and I know , that as soon as I buy one , they will come out with a better reticle design .</div></div>
Chris, you might be waiting a while for another MIL "L" reticle in the Spotter 60. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel Zeiss should make a version of the FinnArmy reticle avaiable for both thier 65 & Dia spotters , and upgrade the Spotter60 reticle as well , than they would be covering the whole field .</div></div>
Its' all about economics. Zeiss/Hensoldt is only going to develop and manufacture products that they think will bring acceptable ROI (Return-On-Investment), and I'm sure that R & D and production costs outweigh the projected sales revenue by a landslide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good pics , thanks for the time .

Cheers Chris </div></div>
You're welcome.

Keith

Aries 64, thanks for your great write-up. What might I expect to pay for this Optolyth spotter and mil reticle? And what vendor do you recommend? Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries 64, thanks for your great write-up.</div></div>
You're welcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peanutlover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What might I expect to pay for this Optolyth spotter and mil reticle? And what vendor do you recommend? Thanks again. </div></div>
I'll answer those questions in reverse-order. In light of <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Lowlight</span></span>'s request that Sniper's Hide Members patronize Sniper's Hide Vendors <span style="font-style: italic">(Hey - they keep the lights on at SH)</span>, I have to recommend purchasing from <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">SWFA</span></span>. I didn't buy from SWFA for several reasons (three of those being that I try to support California businesses, the Bear Basin in California includes <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">FREE EXPRESS SHIPPING</span> on orders over $899.00, and they also pay the Sales Tax for California buyers on Wednesdays</span>).

As far as pricing goes, the Optolyth S80 Compact is available in an HD version (which is what I have), and a Non-HD version. When the HD and Non-HD versions are bought with the 20-60X Eyepiece there is a $625.00 price difference ($2,274.95 for the HD and $1,649.95 for the Non-HD version). If you don't want or need the 20-60X Eyepiece you should be able to exchange it for the 30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece, but you'll have to talk to the salesperson to see if you have to pay any price differential (Bear Basin was willing to do this for me). Personally, I would rather have both, as the 20-60X is much more versatile. The MIL Reticle Eyepiece runs $494.95.

Bear Basin is blowing-out both the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Straight</span></span> and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Angled</span></span> <span style="font-weight: bold">NON-HD versions</span> Compact bodies for $899.00, and the 20-60X Eyepiece for $289.00. Thats' ONLY $1,188.00 for the pair, (or $1,394.00 with a Compact Body and the 30X WA MIL Eyepiece), although they're the <span style="font-weight: bold">NON-HD versions</span>. Bear Basin's prices on the non-closeout <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth products</span></span> is 5 cents more than SWFA ($2,275.00 for the HD Compacts and $1,650.00 for the Non-HD versions, both equipped with the 20-60X Eyepiece. The 30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece is $495.00). I bought the S80 HD Compact/20-60X Eyepiece Combo and the 30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece from Bear Basin, and my entire order was drop-shipped from <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Valdada Optics</span></span>, one of two North American Optolyth distributors.

Keith

very good write up indeed. I may have a use for one in the future??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiredude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very good write up indeed. I may have a use for one in the future?? </div></div>
Thanks, <span style="font-style: italic">"dude"</span>.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JT505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is one of the best write-up's I've read here. It's also one of the most accurate concerning my use of the equipment listed.

I have the Zeiss 65T FL. I also have the Zeiss Mil-Dot reticle eye piece. Lowlight can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I received the last Zeiss #43 Mil-Dot eyepiece available. I bought the Zeiss from Scott at Liberty Optics several years ago. Scott said if I wanted the Mil-Dot eye piece to contact Doug at Cameraland. Doug found the Mil-Dot eyepiece, shipped it to me overnight and at that time we believed it to be the last one shipped across the pond.

There is much in this write-up for anyone looking to purchase <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">any brand </span></span>of spotter. Here's an example;

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you don't want or need the 20-60X Eyepiece you should be able to exchange it for the 30X WA MIL Reticle Eyepiece, but you'll have to talk to the salesperson to see if you have to pay any price differential (Bear Basin was willing to do this for me). <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Personally, I would rather have both, as the 20-60X is much more versatile</span></span>.</div></div>

The Zeiss 30x Mil-Dot eyepiece is just that; a fixed 30x. The 30x WA MIL reticle eyepiece is also a fixed 30x. Depending on the field conditions, the 30x can be too much magnification (mirage or close/mid-range work). I'm using the Vario eye piece from 15-20x on most training days.

Get both eye pieces if you can.

Excellent write-up Aries64.
</div></div>
Thanks for the kudos <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">JT505</span></span>!

Keith

There are always people looking for spotting scopes with reticles so its' back to the top for this post. Optolyth isn't well-known in the U.S., but Optolyth Germany makes photographic and optical lenses and filters that are considered to be on par with Zeiss - and Zeiss lenses are the best around. Optolyth Spotting scopes are very efficient, and Optolyth also offers a 30X Wide Angle MIL-based Reticle Eyepiece for their 80mm Spotting Scopes and a 45X WA MIL-based Reticle Eyepiece for their 100mm Spotting Scopes.

To read my review of the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Optolyth S80 Compact Spotting Scope</span></span> compared to my Zeiss Diascope 65T FL scroll to the beginning of this thread or click <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 Compact Spotting Scope"</span></span> to open up a new window.

Keith

I had a chance yesterday to look through the 20-60 eyepiece at the range and was very impressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a chance yesterday to look through the 20-60 eyepiece at the range and was very impressed. </div></div>
I saw your <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"ranging reticle and rotating body"</span></span> thread and replied to it. I don't know what your location is <span style="font-style: italic">(please fill-out your "Profile"</span>), but if you're in Los Angeles or the surrounding area (doubtful), PM me if you want to play with my S80 Compact. I have both the 20-60X80mm Zoom and the 30X WA Rotating MIL Reticle Eyepieces.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a chance yesterday to look through the 20-60 eyepiece at the range and was very impressed. </div></div>
I saw your <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"ranging reticle and rotating body"</span></span> thread and replied to it. I don't know what your location is <span style="font-style: italic">(please fill-out your "Profile"</span>), but if you're in Los Angeles or the surrounding area (doubtful), PM me if you want to play with my S80 Compact. I have both the 20-60X80mm Zoom and the 30X WA Rotating MIL Reticle Eyepieces.

Keith </div></div>

I'm out in Cary, NC. Unfortunately, I already ordered the spotter, so I'll have to figure out a way to make it work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aries64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a chance yesterday to look through the 20-60 eyepiece at the range and was very impressed. </div></div>

Keith </div></div>

I'm out in Cary, NC. Unfortunately, I already ordered the spotter, so I'll have to figure out a way to make it work. </div></div>
If you mean you ordered the Vortex Razor HD [20-60X85mm] Spotter, that is unfortunate. In my experience the Optolyth's image quality is better than the Vortex Razor HD [20-60X85mm] and the Optolyth's rotating reticle makes the choice obvious. Icing on the cake is that the Optolyth S80 Compact weighs about 17 oz. less than the Razor.

However, I'm pretty sure that whomever you ordered the Vortex from would allow you to return it, although they may charge you a re-stocking fee. If you ordered from an optics dealer that carries Optolyth they would probably allow you to exchange the Vortex for an Optolyth without charging you a re-stocking fee.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lexington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries64, your PM box is full. Can we go to email?

[email protected] </div></div>
From what I can tell I'm still getting my PMs', but if you must go ahead and email me.

Keith

Even though we weren't a recommended vendor by the OP, we have an excellent relationship with Valdada, we can save you money, and our service is a good as anybody's.

Nice write-up, it will be interesting to see whether this elevates interest in the brand.

Keith, what is the warranty and support like for Optolyth now?

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even though we weren't a recommended vendor by the OP, we have an excellent relationship with Valdada, we can save you money, and our service is a good as anybody's.</div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Scott</span></span>, In case you didn't realize it, I'm the OP. I know that you carry IOR (Hell, IIRC and IMHO you were the one that gave the big push for the 3-18X42mm FFP with the Modified MP-8 reticle with the GB years ago). Sorry, but I didn't realize that you carry the Optolyth lineup as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice write-up, it will be interesting to see whether this elevates interest in the brand.</div></div>
Thanks for the kind words Scott - I guess we'll have to see if this write-up elevates interest in Optolyth. People generally avoid brands that they aren't familiar with. IMHO the G80 (80mm "Straight-Through") Compact and the S80 (80mm "Angled") Compact have both better image quality as well as the huge advantage of a rotating reticle over the Vortex [20-60X85mm] Razor HD. The Zeiss 65T FL and 85T FL are slightly brighter and sharper, but not only is the 30X #43 Mildot Eyepiece is no longer available but it too is non-rotating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keith, what is the warranty and support like for Optolyth now?

Scott </div></div>
Optolyth Warranties are model-based, so Warranty Coverage and length of Warranty (up to 30 Years) is dependant upon the model. Optolyth'shigher-end optics seem to have the long warranties - I know that the G80 (80mm "Straight-Through") Compact and the S80 (80mm "Angled") Compact carry a 30-Year Warranty, and Val said that if I ever have any issues that I can either send my scope to Bear Basin (whom I bought my S80 HD Compact from) or send my scope direct to Valdada Optics (the distributor Bear Basin deals with) and Val will send me a new scope.

Keith

A <span style="font-style: italic">"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em' drink"</span>...

Keith

While at an F-Class match yesterday I spotted using the PMII 5-25X[56] on my X-Ray 51, so I let a shooter who I'd let play with my [Optolyth] S80 HD Compact and [Optolyth] 30X MIL Eyepiece before the line went hot use the S80 HD Compact & [Optolyth] 30X MIL Eyepiece for the match. That particular shooter has experience with a Vortex Razor HD Spotter with a [Vortex] 30X R/T MIL Eyepiece, and he gave my Optolyth S80 HD Compact the edge by a wide margin. He agreed that the S80 HD Compact's optical clarity, resolution, ergonmics, and "feel" are superior in a big way. He also loves the way the Optolyth MIL Eyepiece's rotating reticle allows the reticle to be oriented "square" regardless of the scope's orientation.

The comments from the above-mentioned shooter don't surprise me, as his evaluations reflect mine and the scenario has occured previously with other shooters on different days and at different locations. As a side note, the shooter I sold my Zeiss 65T FL to after I bought the S80 HD Compact also preferred the S80 HD Compact to his Zeiss [65T FL] with the two set-up alongside each other (my Optolyth S80 HD Compact & 20-60X Variable and his Zeiss [65T FL] & 15-45X/20-60X Variable).

Keith

First I want to thank Aries 64 for a great write up here, I have been following this post for a while now. And finally purchased a Optolyth S80 Compact with the ranging reticule eye piece. Great spotter and I hope to run it through its paces this weekend. Also got the camera adapter so through the scope pics to be posted soon.

Second Scott with Liberty Optics is first class and GTG, I have done business with him in the past and service is excellent.
Doug

Bump for a great write up on this product. Full of good information to make an informed decision. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

I used the Mils in the 30x eye piece to practice ranging this weekend and it works great, the rotation feature works and will be welcome when I use it on my shooting bench to call shots.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I want to thank Aries 64 for a great write up here, I have been following this post for a while now. And finally purchased a Optolyth S80 Compact with the ranging reticule eye piece. Great spotter and I hope to run it through its paces this weekend. Also got the camera adapter so through the scope pics to be posted soon.

Second Scott with Liberty Optics is first class and GTG, I have done business with him in the past and service is excellent.
Doug </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I want to thank Aries 64 for a great write up here, I have been following this post for a while now. And finally purchased a Optolyth S80 Compact with the ranging reticule eye piece. Great spotter and I hope to run it through its paces this weekend. Also got the camera adapter so through the scope pics to be posted soon.</div></div>
I'm glad you liked my write-up and that it allowed you to make an informed decision Doug. But I'm glad that after reading my write-up and taking the plunge and buying an S80 Compact that you like it. I haven't gotten around to buying the camera adapter yet, but I still plan to. When you can, please post some through-the-scope photos with the MIL Eyepiece in place, as I'd like to see the how much of the reticle is visible when the adapter is used.

BTW, did you buy the HD version with the Fluorite lenses or the standard glass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Second Scott with Liberty Optics is first class and GTG, I have done business with him in the past and service is excellent.
Doug </div></div>
Scott does provide excellent service...

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yukon82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bump for a great write up on this product. Full of good information to make an informed decision. Thanks for taking the time to do this. </div></div>
Thanks for the kind words <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Yukon82</span></span> - I'm glad you liked the write-up too. I'm a really detail-oriented guy and it took me quite a while to compose my thoughts and observations about the two spotters and their eyepieces, then organize those observations into an order that made sense. If you're in the market for a spotting scope I highly recommend that you check-out the Optolyth Compacts.

And again, the Optolyth is the only spotter that has an available MIL Eyepiece that rotates, allowing the user to square the reticle to the horizon and/or target area.

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Mils in the 30x eye piece to practice ranging this weekend and it works great, the rotation feature works and will be welcome when I use it on my shooting bench to call shots.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug@Blackhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First I want to thank Aries 64 for a great write up here, I have been following this post for a while now. And finally purchased a Optolyth S80 Compact with the ranging reticule eye piece. Great spotter and I hope to run it through its paces this weekend. Also got the camera adapter so through the scope pics to be posted soon.

Doug </div></div> </div></div>
The rotating reticle is definitely freakin' cool, and only available through Optolyth.

Keith

I like your review!
I used to have a Optolyth Royal 15x63 binos..i liked it alot.
I have Zeiss 85mm and Swarovski 80HD now, i have to say Zeiss is better. Zeiss gives warmer color. I also like the eye relieve on Zeiss better but....that just for my eyes
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10shotmiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like your review!
I used to have a Optolyth Royal 15x63 binos..i liked it alot.
I have Zeiss 85mm and Swarovski 80HD now, i have to say Zeiss is better. Zeiss gives warmer color. I also like the eye relieve on Zeiss better but....that just for my eyes
smile.gif
</div></div>
Thanks for the kind words about my review. I've always been a Zeiss and Swarovski binocular fan and have never used the Optolyth Royal 15x63 - those look sweet. You think the Zeiss gives a warmer color? Whenever I've compared a (Zeiss) 85T FL to an 80mm Swarovski HD side-by-side I've always thought the Zeiss looked a little cold (blue).

Keith

I had an angled S80 APO with both the 20-60 zoom and mil eyepieces for about 6 months.
The rotating reticle is in fact useful but I suspect it rotates out of necessity because the eyepiece mount is threaded; unless Optolyth clocks in the threads on every body and eyepiece, the reticle would end up canted.

I was happy enough with it until the day I tried a Zeiss Diascope 85 side by side with it. The target viewed through the Zeiss at 40 was larger, far brighter, with much better resolution than the same target at 60x viewed through the Optolyth. There was a significant yellow tint to the image through the Optolyth, too.

I contacted Valdada (the importer) with my concern about how far the performance trailed the Zeiss, and I wanted it inspected/evaluated. He told me to contact Optolyth in Germany.
I sent a dozen emails to Optolyth and never heard back from them. The message I took away from that was... you're on your own once they've got your money.

I bought a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 for less than 1/2 what I paid for the Optolyth and the Vortex performed far better optically, very close to the Zeiss in resolution and brightness.
I sold my S80 APO at a big loss (over $1k) and was happy to get that out of it as the brand is not well known in the US.
I regret the purchase and will never buy another Optolyth product.

Last edited:
I had an angled S80 APO with both the 20-60 zoom and mil eyepieces for about 6 months.
The rotating reticle is in fact useful but I suspect it rotates out of necessity because the eyepiece mount is threaded; unless Optolyth clocks in the threads on every body and eyepiece, the reticle would end up canted.
While a bayonet mount makes it easier to "index" a given point, I don't think that Optolyth chose the articulating (rotating) feature in order to avoid timing the threads.

I was happy enough with it until the day I tried a Zeiss Diascope 85 side by side with it. The target viewed through the Zeiss at 40 was larger, far brighter, with much better resolution than the same target at 60x viewed through the Optolyth. There was a significant yellow tint to the image through the Optolyth, too.
I can understand and agree with this. In my comparison of my [Zeiss] Diascope 65T FL versus my Optolyth S80 HD Compact I noted that the Diascope 65T FL was noticeably brighter and resolved slightly better than the the Optolyth S80 HD Compact in daylight, and was still nearly equal to the Optolyth S80 HD Compact well after dark (at which point the Optolyth S80 HD Compact was better). I also noted that my Optolyth S80 HD Compact had a slight yellowish cast to it. Too bad you didn't read my comparison.

I contacted Valdada (the importer) with my concern about how far the performance trailed the Zeiss, and I wanted it inspected/evaluated. He told me to contact Optolyth in Germany.
I sent a dozen emails to Optolyth and never heard back from them. The message I took away from that was... you're on your own once they've got your money.
Hmmm. Given my comparison and experience with my S80 HD Compact compared to my Diascope 65T FL, I never needed nor wanted to exchange my S80 HD Compact, but Val had assured me that he would take care of any problems or concerns if any arose. Knock-on-wood none ever did. I do know that he started handling issues with IOR scopes in an expedient manner several years ago. That was not always the case in previous times.

I bought a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 for less than 1/2 what I paid for the Optolyth and the Vortex performed far better optically, very close to the Zeiss in resolution and brightness.
I sold my S80 APO at a big loss (over $1k) and was happy to get that out of it as the brand is not well known in the US.
I regret the purchase and will never buy another Optolyth product.
Your experience with and performance evaluation of your Razor 20-60X[85] is a far cry from my experience with multiple Razor 20-60X[85]s' when viewed against my Optolyth S80 HD Compact with the Optolyth 20-60X Variable Eyepiece at various magnifications. I've compared no fewer than three (3) Razor 20-60X[85]s' to my Optolyth S80HD Compact, and the Vortexes' all looked "flat" and lifeless compared to my S80 HD Compact. In my experience, Vortex optics are good for the money, but they're not that good. And I'm sorry, but saying that the Vortex is "very close to the Zeiss in resolution and brightness" is extremely suspect as well as delusional. Of course, there's always the possibility that there was something was wrong with the Diascope 85T FL you were looking through.

I've been able to clearly see the patchwork of black pasters in the X-ring of my 600 yard F-Class target in 110F heat and mirage, when all I could see was a muddy blob through the PMII 5-25X[56] on my X-Ray 51. And when I loaned my S80 HD Compact to another shooter to use instead of his spotter, and he said that he could see the X-ring perfectly with my S80 HD Compact and the 30X Eyepiece and didn't need the 20-60X Variable. I used my Diascope 65T FL alongside my S80 HD Compact for several months in various weather conditions and the performance of the S80 HD Compact convinced me to sell the Diascope 65T FL.

It's really unfortunate that you sold your Optolyth S80 APO so cheap, especially before I saw that you had it listed for sale. While I don't need another spotter, I know that the guy I sold my 65T FL to might of bought it. After I sold my Diascope 65T FL to him I happened to run into him at the range, and after looking through and playing with my S80 HD Compact he remarked that he preferred the Optolyth S80 HD Compact over his [Diascope] 65T FL and asked me what I thought he could sell his Diascope 65T FL for so he could buy an S80 HD Compact.

Keith

While a bayonet mount makes it easier to "index" a given point, I don't think that Optolyth chose the articulating (rotating) feature in order to avoid timing the threads.

I can understand and agree with this. In my comparison of my [Zeiss] Diascope 65T FL versus my Optolyth S80 HD Compact I noted that the Diascope 65T FL was noticeably brighter and resolved slightly better than the the Optolyth S80 HD Compact in daylight, and was still nearly equal to the Optolyth S80 HD Compact well after dark (at which point the Optolyth S80 HD Compact was better). I also noted that my Optolyth S80 HD Compact had a slight yellowish cast to it. Too bad you didn't read my comparison.

Hmmm. Given my comparison and experience with my S80 HD Compact compared to my Diascope 65T FL, I never needed nor wanted to exchange my S80 HD Compact, but Val had assured me that he would take care of any problems or concerns if any arose. Knock-on-wood none ever did. I do know that he started handling issues with IOR scopes in an expedient manner several years ago. That was not always the case in previous times.

Your experience with and performance evaluation of your Razor 20-60X[85] is a far cry from my experience with multiple Razor 20-60X[85]s' when viewed against my Optolyth S80 HD Compact with the Optolyth 20-60X Variable Eyepiece at various magnifications. I've compared no fewer than three (3) Razor 20-60X[85]s' to my Optolyth S80HD Compact, and the Vortexes' all looked "flat" and lifeless compared to my S80 HD Compact. In my experience, Vortex optics are good for the money, but they're not that good. And I'm sorry, but saying that the Vortex is "very close to the Zeiss in resolution and brightness" is extremely suspect as well as delusional. Of course, there's always the possibility that there was something was wrong with the Diascope 85T FL you were looking through.

I've been able to clearly see the patchwork of black pasters in the X-ring of my 600 yard F-Class target in 110F heat and mirage, when all I could see was a muddy blob through the PMII 5-25X[56] on my X-Ray 51. And when I loaned my S80 HD Compact to another shooter to use instead of his spotter, and he said that he could see the X-ring perfectly with my S80 HD Compact and the 30X Eyepiece and didn't need the 20-60X Variable. I used my Diascope 65T FL alongside my S80 HD Compact for several months in various weather conditions and the performance of the S80 HD Compact convinced me to sell the Diascope 65T FL.

It's really unfortunate that you sold your Optolyth S80 APO so cheap, especially before I saw that you had it listed for sale. While I don't need another spotter, I know that the guy I sold my 65T FL to might of bought it. After I sold my Diascope 65T FL to him I happened to run into him at the range, and after looking through and playing with my S80 HD Compact he remarked that he preferred the Optolyth S80 HD Compact over his [Diascope] 65T FL and asked me what I thought he could sell his Diascope 65T FL for so he could buy an S80 HD Compact.

Keith

I had the Razor (before I sold it) and the Zeiss 20-75x85 I replaced it with side by side in a number of different comparisons including low light and I stand by my results. Maybe I got a cherry Razor and a sub-par Diascope, but I SURELY got a Monday morning (after a drunken weekend) Optolyth. The Razor matched the Zeiss in brightness and slightly trailed it in resolution right up to 50x, then lost out a little in brightness up to 60x. The Zeiss went on going up to 75x, but it does get dark... tiny exit pupil (1.13mm) so that's no surprise. Even with weight added to my Manfrotto CF tripod/fluid head combo, 75x is difficult to stabilize in all but the calmest of conditions, but the resolution is there if you can eliminate wind-induced vibration.

I DID read all your reviews on the Compact S80 before I bought it... in fact, your assessment was a significant factor in my choice to take a chance with the Optolyth. I lost heavily when I made that choice. Google Optolyth Compact S80 reviews and several pieces you've written (including at least one copied and pasted verbatim into more than one site) comprise just about everything positive written about the instrument on the WWW. I challenge you to find other commentary posted on the WWW that concurs with your (very articulate) endorsement of the Compact S80.

In a side by side comparison in several different settings (including low light), the Optolyth was easily bested by the Razor in every category I could evaluate. The Optolyth BLEW GOATS in low light and was no more than average anywhere else. It had a significant yellow cast that was obvious even when my eye was given time to adjust to it. Maybe the prism was out of alignment or there was a bad lens element in the body (the poor performance was the same with either the zoom or the WA eyepiece) but it lacked the ease of use and performance I've come to expect from alpha optics like the S&B, March, Zeiss Victory, and Steiner riflescopes I own or have owned AND the Zeiss and Vortex spotters.

As for Val's assertion that he'd be there for you, well, that's not my experience. I called Valdada and spoke to a man with an accent who told me to go through Optolyth. He assured me that they'd be happy to inspect the unit (once I paid to ship it to Germany $$$) but Optolyth never dignified my inquiries with a response to the dozen emails I sent from 3 different email domains (including the one registered to my business) over the course of a month.

Others are (of course) free to decide if they believe me, but I think they should at least have the opportunity to hear a dissenting opinion. My experience is my own, but I earned it just the same. I have no motivation to denigrate the Optolyth, and believe me, I WANTED it to be as good as you say, but the unit I purchased was not.

Last edited: