• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing order a new stock or make one work??

Duffy1298

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Jacksonville
Hey guys. I have a Rem 700 with a Krieger # 17 HV and Badger bdm. Im lookin to get a Mcmillan A-4 stock but dont want to wait 4-5 months if i dont HAVE to. I see a ton of stocks for sale all over the place but they never have any inletted for my barrel contour. Would it be worth my time/money to buy a stock that has a different contour channel and just make it fit? Or would it be best to just suck it up and get one strait from Mcmillan and endure the painful wait time???

Re: order a new stock or make one work??

Buy a stock online. It's easy enough to wrap sandpaper around a dowel and open the barrel channel up yourself. Or if you're not comfortable with that, take it in to a smith and have them open it up for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a stock online. It's easy enough to wrap sandpaper around a dowel and open the barrel channel up yourself. Or if you're not comfortable with that, take it in to a smith and have them open it up for you. </div></div>

This is exactly what to do. It will need to be pillar bedded anyways, so either you or a smith will have to do final fitting. These stocks are intended to be bedded anyhow. I know they fit, and shoot without bedding, but why spend top dollar on a stock, and not extract all that you can by bedding.

That's like building an awesome short block, and using an inadequate intake system on it. Best of luck.

McMillan can open it up for you in less than 4-5 months. I had them reinlet for a different DBM and it took a few weeks. Call them for current lead times. I didn't trust myself with a dremel.

I ran into the same issue when I received a new Manners T5A I had waited 5 months for. The barrel channel was too tight for the heavy barrel Savage LRP .260 as ordered. Manners said they'd be happy to open for me, but a Savage buddy told me to just wrap some sandpaper around a deep socket of the right size and start rubbin'. Not trusting myself with sandpaper on a new $800 stock, I took it to my smith. He says no problem ... he does it regularly.

I agree with Louis Phillips, I don't trust myself with any grinding or sanding tools, I have ruined countless expensive things thinking I could do it myself, leave it too a professional.

Not sure of your budget but I found an A5 in the stock specials section on Mcmillans website. There are usually a handful of A4s there with different options. I just wrapped my barrel with contact adhesive sandpaper and worked it until it fit properly. I'm sure they would be more than happy to change the inlet for you.