• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Ordering Mcmillan stock; have some questions.

jrhan762

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Just want to start off by saying I'm new to the site, and glad to be here! I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan (Army), and I'm buying a Remington 700 LTR in .308 as my big project. It's my first bolt-gun, and there's alot of gaps in my knowledge. I'm trying to order a Mcmillan A3-5 while deployed, and I am ordering without actually seeing the rifle. I would call Mcmillan, but I'd like to have all my ducks in a row before I do just to keep things simple So here's my questions:

Inlet: What's the difference between "Full Inlet" and "Custom Drop-in"? The rifle will have a Badger Ordnance M5 DBM Floorplate, Maximized Recoil Lug, and Bolt Knob.

Barrel Contour: The Barrel is the stock LTR. My understanding is that it's just a fluted heavy barrel, but I don't know it's diameter(s?) or what to check on the order form. And I don't know what "Finished Cylinder/Shank Length" means, let alone wht it is. But it's a stock 700 LTR, so if anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it.

Adjustable Cheekpiece: What's preferable, Clamp Bar or Thumbwheel? And does anyone know if there's a differwece in price?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info yo can give! I appreciate any and all responses!

Re: Ordering Mcmillan stock; have some questions.

You tell them that it's a factory LTR, and they will know what you need. All that info on things like recoil lug, cylinder, barrel contour, ect. Is for custom rigs. Last time. I checked. They have three different adjustable cheek pieces. Two are integral. One has a thumb wheel for adjustment. The other a single knob that clamps the pillars at the desired height, and the last is a saddle with a rubber feel that your face will not slide on, so you get a good cheek weld. I like the saddle for function. And the others for looks, but that is personal taste on my part.

McMillan is great, and the best way to order when you're not sure about something is to call them.

Also consider what type fill you would like. Sniper fill is more dense and heavier. You can use flush cups for sling mounting anywhere you want them instead of studs. You can even have weight added to a stock to your specs if you wish. A lot you can do with your stock, just ask them. Best of luck.

Thanks! I just don't want to have to wait until I get home to order; no sense wasting 3 months.

I'd order it as follows;

RH A3-5 in your choice of colors
Standard LOP will be be 13.5" to 13.75"
Decel Pad
1-Bipod Stud
Minimum of 2-Flush Cups, 1 front LH side & 1 rear LH side
KMW Adj Cheek (KMW will need to install their hardware)
Standard Fill
Inlett for the following;
Remington LTR with over sized recoil lug. The barrel is the Rem Varmint if they ask.
Badger M5 DBM
.625" Guard screw holes

You might consider Manners also. They have a super website and you can go through a stock builder and spec your actions barrel contour bottom metal etc. Take a look at it might help you out.