• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ordering my first 1911, a Wilson Combat CQB. Have a few questions...

c1steve

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2010
WA
I am ready to place an order for a Wilson Combat CQB. I have some questions, as this will be my first 1911.

1. Flat or curved trigger? I have large hands, if that matters.

2. Flat wire spring appears to be an improvement. Any recommendations on this?

3. Anything else?

Thanks for your suggestions.
-Steve

I say go curved on the trigger. I've owned both, and i just prefer it. The flat trigger just feels odd. Free piece of advice; the 1911 is a 102 year old design now. Every few years/months, something new comes out, like a single piece guide rod, or the external extractor, that promises to "change the game". None of them has. The bones of the 1911 still remain damn near Identical to the original specs drawn up by JMB. Quality craftsmanship and hand-fitted, well-tuned, high quality components beat out nifty features and design "upgrades" every time.

I had a CQB and should have never sold it. It shot perfectly and was superb quality. I would go with the curved trigger as well, the flat triggers feel awkward to me too. I have no idea about #2. #3... Order it, and enjoy it.

I have had a CQB Compact for several years. I run curved triggers on all my 1911s. My Compact is the only 1911 I have not made any mods to, it just works right out if the box.

It started with buying and shooting a Sig X-Five Allround. The ability to precisely place your shots rapidly increased my skill level. It is as though my brain was able to learn the "muscle memory" necessary to shoot much more accurately. I then tried someone's SAO X-Five, and realized single action guns had significantly better triggers.

This lead me to the WC 1911. I never really thought about the 1911, but now I understand. Better to have a small number of mostly high quality guns, than a dozen so-so shooters.

-s

Last edited:
I had a CQB and should have never sold it. It shot perfectly and was superb quality. I would go with the curved trigger as well, the flat triggers feel awkward to me too. I have no idea about #2. #3... Order it, and enjoy it.

I feel for you on it.

I had a CQB on order. I loved it. Beautiful gun. Got sold from underneath me, it happened a couple of years ago, and I'm still pissed about that.

The only silver lining is that a former Marine colonel, with service in Vietnam, was the one who picked it up.

When I was looking this pistol was in the top group. After looking at them and holding them this is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

1. Curved trigger
2. speed chute. I think being in CA you will need to pin it your self or have a smith do it.As a carry or competition gun its nice to have.
3. Combat Pyramide rear sight with both front and rear being in tritium
4. Everything else is awesome and your going to really enjoy it. Just follow the break in instructions to a 'T'.

I agree with usafabrad regarding the whiz bang stuff. Its my experience that most of the new cool stuff is refinement and not a huge game changer. Check around and see what feels best to you. I ended up with the Nighthawk Custom just because it felt better in my hand, felt more balanced to me and seemed to hold on target more easily. Those are all personal things. You will be happy with your choice and welcome to the 1911 club.

WC resides on the night table when I go to bed and travels with me when I leave home....everyday. I'm sure someone likes 'em, but I never did get the flat trigger deal.

Pester,

I did a search on Speed Chute and almost everyone agrees with you. So that is probably in.

Eddie NFL,
I have the flat trigger on two AR's with Geissele triggers. I really like it, and will probably go with it. Better tactical feel, and for a pistol not sensitive to finger position.

s

Last edited:
I have been shooting the 1911 since I was in the Army in 69. Have owned several. Now I just have one.
Wilson Combat CQB.
Over and out - end of story.
Congrats on your choice. You can't wrong no matter which way you go. The only alteration I have are night sights and a short trigger ( I have short finger fingers i.e. Cadet size).

Count me as another who had a fantastic 1911 and foolishly sold it. Well, to be exact...I traded my Nighthawk GRP recon on a HK combat competition. Dumb I know, but HKs are a debilitating disease. Good luck with the wait for your baby. They are worth it though.

Name Enough,

Which night sights do you have on your WC?

s

What about the slide front cocking serrations? Omit or keep?

Last edited:
I like front serrations probably more than most. Even had them added on my glock. They look good(to me at least) and add some grip for an easier press check.

Wilson Combat CQB California approved with rail you can have all black. Non-rail your choice is green and black. Since no changes are permitted to California approved, will you be able to order the options you want? I understand there are ways around the rules but are convoluted. My CQB with rail is my wife's bedside gun and mine is a Tactical LE. Both are accurate and reliable.

Currently in Calif. one can do a single shot exemption. However, some legislatures are trying to outlaw the SSE. There are some WC dealers who have CQB's in stock, and I am considering canceling my custom order and buying a stock CQB from a dealer. Cost about $100 more, saves a year. Might save me much trouble if the SSE is removed.

s

I picked up my NightHawk because it was in stock and I did not have to worry about the California compliant rules. And how long exactly will it take you to burn through $100 of ammo in your new gun? It would be nice to save the money but what happens if the California rules change by the time yours is ready?

If your not reloading look into Asym ammo. Very accurate.

OP,

Congrats on your first 1911 and one hell of a way to start. I have both a Wilson CQB and Tactical Elite. Both are functional works of art. The options are endless as far as what you can order or have done to your gun, but as all have stated before me, your options are limited unless you SSE. I have a CQB Light rail on order with a number of upgrades that I hope will come in before the year. I will have to SSE it and it will be a pain in the ass to do so but worth it to me. I also have the barrel needed for the SSE, if you need it shoot me a PM.

You can always send the CQB back to Wilson to have the work done with your options you want if you were to buy one off the shelf (CA compliant). As far as the flat wire kit, I put one in my CQB and like it. It does make a different sound when racking it and the felt recoil is no different than the regular wire kit, but it does feel smoother. All 3 of the WC have battle night sights by Wilson, yellow rear and green front. All have the Bullet Proof 1 piece speed chute. FCS, take them or leave them. Some say its easier to press check, some don't like how they look, that part is up to you.

Lastly take a look at the 1911 forum. Wilson Combat has a rep that is very active in the Wilson Combat section of manufacturers. There is a wealth of knowledge there much like here. When it's all said and done, and the wait is over, you will be VERY happy with your first 1911. Congrats and you will end up buying another Wilson, it just happens.

Stay safe

Tack

Last edited:
nice

your first 1911 is a wilson combat? I recommend you also buy an inexpensive one like a RRA or Taurus or something you can beat on and learn to take apart.
When you scratch it or lose parts you will not be as upset as when you do it to the WC. jm2c

its all a feel thing, i have about 11 1911's and every one has the same controls and all are flat trigger. doesn't mean its superior, i also have flat timneys on my bolt guns and flat giessele on my AR"s i prefer the feel when shooting with gloves on. get flat wire it won't hinder you. the rest is all personal preference.

Tack, the SS exemption may be going out the window on Jan. 1st. I plan to move out of state before much longer, so it may not matter that much. On the other hand, buying before the rules change sometimes has big advantages.

I like good equipment, so Raivkka, I plan to be careful and hope to not scratch it too much. Unfortunately I have much more than average reasons to need defensive guns. I practice at the range with that in mind, and realize the equipment and skills may save my life or other's lives some day. I have used most of my discretionary income in the last three years, buying firearms and practicing. I have had to deal with a difficult situation for a very long time, and am doing my best to be prepared.

-Steve

Steve, sounds like you have compelling reasons for the purchase. If I were in your shoes I would find someone with the WC and buy it. My take is its better to spend time finding out what ammo it likes the most so you know what to buy/shoot for your various needs.

If you are in the Sac area there is a store in south sac called that often has pretty good stock of mid-hi end pistols. Might try Wild Bill's Old West Trading Company - Elk Grove, CA

Last thing.....if you are out of CA in short order I would buy it when you get relocated. I cant imagine they are more restrictive than CA.

You will be happy with the WC

nice choice for a first 1911. 1)i'd go with the curved trigger. 2)standard springs have always worked just fine for me. 3) good supply of wilson mags and get to shooting!