• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ordering my first build?! advice!

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I am getting ready to place an order on my first weapon build! I am building a rifle that I can upgrade later to support my needs as my skills grow. I am new to long range shooting and am looking to build a semi-custom rifle that can help hone my skills, a little easier to shoot, can reach out to 800+ yards and I am able to upgrade the parts at a later date. I have read quite a bit online and in magazines and this is what I came up with. What do you guys think?

Remington 700 sps tactical 308 20" bull barrel 1/12 twist
Bell & Carlson A2 stock--Tan w/ black webbing
Tally 20 MOA base
Leupold rings
Badger Ordinance tactical knob

$942 +shipping

What are your thoughts on the price? I am having Red Hawk Rifles out of Cedaredge CO do the work. I read the reviews and they seem pretty good. Does anyone have any experience with them? I spoke to the guys at Red Hawk and they answered all my questions to my satisfaction and had alot of patience with me. I know that this is an entry level weapon but I dont want to put a ton of money into it right now. I want to upgrade as I go and figure out what I exactly want. The glass is up in the air right now. For now I am going to use a Burris FFII 4.5x14x42 with tactical knob upgrade until I can save enough for a nightforce or a zeiss. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: ordering my first build?! advice!

Good start. But i'd swith out the mount and rings for seekins or badger stuff right off the bat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good start. But i'd swith out the mount and rings for seekins or badger stuff right off the bat </div></div>

100% correct. Don't bother wasting your time with transitional rings and mounts. Just buy the good stuff right away instead of wasting your money on hardware that you will just replace after a little while.

You could also go with Nightforce rings and mounts but you cannot go wrong with these three brands.

One thing to do is check out the "for sale" sections on this site. Even though you don't have enough posts to sell items you should have no problem buying them. Furthermore, you can frequently find good deals on quality parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: losthelegend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having Red Hawk Rifles out of Cedaredge CO do the work.</div></div>

What kind of work are you having them do? Just install the bolt knob? Or install the stock, base, and rings? The stock, base, and rings can be done yourself with a torque driver.

I'd go for badger rings and base.

Save your money for a nightforce scope

And spend extra money ASAP on a new trigger to get the pull weight down

Save your immediate money on the bolt knob upgrade and get the stock bedded would be my suggestion.

Bolt knob looks cool but doesn't make it shoot better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: losthelegend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having Red Hawk Rifles out of Cedaredge CO do the work.</div></div>

What kind of work are you having them do? Just install the bolt knob? Or install the stock, base, and rings? The stock, base, and rings can be done yourself with a torque driver.</div></div>

I am purchasing the rifle through them also. Since they already have the weapon I am having them put everything else on for me, except for the rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good start. But i'd swith out the mount and rings for seekins or badger stuff right off the bat</div></div>

I think the MK4's are pretty nice rings though.