• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Origin vs Others

Mauser48

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 17, 2018
Currently have a 700 action I was running a remage barrel on. Ended up selling the barrel to go to a different caliber and I'm just now getting back on the project. I'm really considering getting a bighorn origin now while I'm at it. Really like that I can swap bolt heads and have mechanical ejection. No ejector to take out when finding the lands and I want to run 308 as well as 223 or some other cartridges for varmints. I already have a McMillan A3-5 and dbm. Was looking at lri having my 700 action trued (except for threads) and have the handle retimed. By the time I do this I might as well go to a custom action and gain all the other features. I also like how I can get a shouldered prefit, dont need to mess with headspace and don't really need to buy multiple gauges. I already have a triggertech primary, looks like I can remove the bolt release lever on that and be good to go on the origin. Here's my question. Am I missing out on anything with the origin over other custom actions? Only thing I'm seeing is it's not stainless and doesnt have an integral lug or bolt handle which aren't huge to me. Stainless would be kind of nice but the origin coating seems high quality. Wouldn't really care for a 60° action, I'm not doing any competition. Anyone have any complaints on the origin vs other customs?

I ordered one. Origin is Bighorn’s attempt to get past the low volume costs of custom actions. They came up with their easiest to machine, no options, cheapest materials option....

Their popularity and therefore volume seems very high, so the plan must be working. Bighorn is growing wildly successfully where most others are doing less volume so everything costs more.

On the qualty side, if you want those features & finish, it is great. If you want something else, there is no option, you have to buy something else.

I like my Origin, but I've contemplated trying something else. You can't ham fist it, I know how to run it so it's not bad, but I've watched other people stick the bolt while trying to shoot my rifle. Funny you mention 3 lugs because the other action I was interested in was the Apollo. It seems like everything else I look at is $400-600 more so I may just get another Origin also. I really like the controlled round feed and the mechanical ejector in the Origin. Some people have had problems with TriggerTechs, but I dropped in a two stage to replace my Calvin Elite single as soon as the became available, and it works awesome. Last thing, I didn't like the big bolt handle. It felt too big and it wouldn't close all the way on my KRG Whiskey3 Chassis. I bought the adapter from Area 419 and then put a Badger Ordinance Mini Bolt knob on it and I like it much better.

I love my Origin and would by another in an instant. I also like my ARC Nucleus as well. The Origin has a pound lighter bolt lift while the Nucleus has a pound lighter bolt close that almost feels like it would close itself if the bolt handle was heavy enough. I have never understood the love for a SS action. I would think nitrided 4340 is a slicker and tougher material. I love that both will take the Savage barrel nut system so I can set the headspace as I desire. But from an overall value view, the cheaper Origin does take the cake...

Last edited:
Origin or Nucleus are good options.
I prefer my Nuke over the origins I’ve gotten to play with but then it is a bit more expensive.

SS can suck it, I’d take a good nitrided steel action any day over SS.

Good input guys thanks. Also good to know a lot of you prefer the nitride. I'll admit I'm a sucker for the polished stainless actions but function over looks. I'm going to search around to see if anyone has an origin in stock. Zermatt quoted me 12-18 weeks from them but said I'd have better luck with their dealers. They sent me a list to check out.

Reactions: Newbie2020
You can get on a notification list from Brownells. They carry them at the standard cost, and will ship to an FFL they have on file, or you can add your local (if they're not already on file). MHS usually has them in stock as well...

I like the Origin for it's CRF and mechanical ejector. It makes dealing with shorter cases much easier, in feeding and ejection.

For the money the Origin was a great action and I really liked the one I had. I ended up selling it to a friend of mine because he was more into it than I was and I wanted to try something new.
I got mine (and several other parts) from Altus and I couldnt be happier with them. Both their service and Zermatts were excellent.

Reactions: Center556
I just put one on pre order from Northland. He said they should be getting them mid to late February according to Ray. Cant wait!

Also decide what bolt handle you want. I prefer the competition/barbell style and not sure I have seen it at retailers. Bighorn is pretty proud of other ones if you want to change it out.

I've ordered from northland before, good guy. I went with the tactical bolt knob. Am I going to regret that?

It's all personal preference, but the tactical would be my 2nd choice. I think you will enjoy it...

I've ordered from northland before, good guy. I went with the tactical bolt knob. Am I going to regret that?
All depends on what you like and if you don't mind taking a dremel to your stock. I didn't want to grind on my Whiskey3 and I kinda prefer the shape of the Badger handle I went with. I'll take a few pictures of mine with different handles on it when I get home so you can see. The 3 I tried were the stock tactical bolt knob, the Area 419, and the mini Badger. I don't think the mini badger is very mini, just seems like a normal size to me but I like the contour.

You made a good choice over the R700. Tighter tolerances and swappable bolt heads along with the barreled pre-fits make this a very customizable option.

Word to the wise: start ordering shouldered pre-fits now, the eta with everything going on is 6-12 weeks for most companies.

I’ve had good luck with PROOF, preferred barrel blanks and Keystone Accuracy. All have shot half moa or better (usually better).
I love being able to shoot 223 in a practice setup l, a 6mm comp barrel, a generic 6.5 or 308 and then bump to a Saum or WSM with the magnum bolt.

You will also need a torque wrench, barrel vice and action wrench if you plan on swapping your own barrels. I use the viper barrel vice rigged up on a trailer hitch so I can change barrels at the range. Torque to 70 ft lbs for regular calibers and you’re good to go. make sure and put anti-seize on the tenon threads before torquing it down.

I have a torque wrench, I'll probably go ahead and get the viper vise and bighorn action wrench. I'm also probably going to go for a keystone accuracy barrel.

Reactions: verdugo60
I also think I'm going to see if I can change the handle out for the teardrop.

I like my Origin, but I've contemplated trying something else. You can't ham fist it, I know how to run it so it's not bad, but I've watched other people stick the bolt while trying to shoot my rifle.
Can you explain in more detail? Is it pushing fast that jams up or pulling fast or??

I have a torque wrench, I'll probably go ahead and get the viper vise and bighorn action wrench. I'm also probably going to go for a keystone accuracy barrel.
Keystone did my 6GT barrel on a cut barreled blank (krieger?) and it is a hammer, don’t know if it’s ever shot a group bigger than 1/2 moa.

Can you explain in more detail? Is it pushing fast that jams up or pulling fast or??
it's running it poorly/not being used to it

i can make any action 'bind' if i dont run it right. impact, zeus, defiance, zermatt

it's just a different feel when going from one to the next

Reactions: Evlshnngns

If you'd like to swap knobs, we'll do it free of charge if you send your current one back to us.

Thank you - Ray
Thanks Ray. I just put in the order this morning so I'm sure northland should be able to change it for me. If you dont mind me asking, what really makes the origin more affordable? The only differences I'm really seeing between the tl3 and origin are stainless and the integral lug. Are both actions made to the same tolerances? I would assume since they can both take pre shouldered barrels. I'm also guessing it's less money since you were able to streamline production.

Mine does this too when you work the bolt fast. It'll bind a little bit (jam up) unless you push the bolt down when cycling. Push the bolt down and it runs smooth as butter. I haven't thought about it at all in a while.

For me if I’m sitting in my living room and torque the bolt to one side or another on close I can make it bind.

At the range, from prone or barricades or whatever I don’t ever notice it. Sometimes we can get over analytical I think.

Reactions: b6graham
Thanks Ray. I just put in the order this morning so I'm sure northland should be able to change it for me. If you dont mind me asking, what really makes the origin more affordable? The only differences I'm really seeing between the tl3 and origin are stainless and the integral lug. Are both actions made to the same tolerances? I would assume since they can both take pre shouldered barrels. I'm also guessing it's less money since you were able to streamline production.
Manufacturability and limited options.

The TL/SR receivers come out of a larger chunk of material that require more operations to get to a finished product than Origin's do. The TL/SR line of actions has 220 different configurations in the receiver alone and that doesn't include options for bolt heads, rails or bolt knobs. The Origin only has 4 receiver configurations so we don't need an order to make the receiver. All TL/SR actions are made to order.

Thanks - Ray

Get the Origin and don’t look back. I have one, almost sold it to get an AI, but kept it. Love how it cycles and feeds. You can’t beat the Zermatt CS either. Every time I emailed them I got a prompt answer, and when I had an issue, they had me send my complete rifle in, and I had it back within 2 days and the issue fixed.

Pair their action with a Keystone GM barrel, throw on a TT trigger, KRG bravo, and shoot.

Northland got the bolt handle switched out for me. The rifle will be the origin action, McMillan A3-5, MPA bottom metal, triggertech primary, and a keystone gm barrel. The real question is what caliber first? I know I want to go 308 but I have some varmint hunting planned this year so may go with a 22-250.

I have two Origins and can not say enough good things about them, I will never go back to an action that does not take a prefit, it makes it soeasy to swap to different calipers. I had an issue with a two stage Timney trigger in one of my actions, got in touch with Ray from Zermatt, he was outstanding to work with and resolved the issue very quickly, great customer service!

I have had two barrels from keystone, both have been awesome.
The Shilens from NSS have been excellent as well.

I made a switch barrel out of my Origin with a standard bolt head and a 223 bolt head. The repeatability tracks excellent between the two barrels, I dial my offset into the scope and run it. Now that I think of it..... wish I had bought two of them. But then I'd need another scope, another trigger, another .... nevermind. I need powder!

Origin is the best deal goin in custom actions. Smooth, simple, sturdy, and well supported.

Currently have a 700 action I was running a remage barrel on. Ended up selling the barrel to go to a different caliber and I'm just now getting back on the project. I'm really considering getting a bighorn origin now while I'm at it. Really like that I can swap bolt heads and have mechanical ejection. No ejector to take out when finding the lands and I want to run 308 as well as 223 or some other cartridges for varmints. I already have a McMillan A3-5 and dbm. Was looking at lri having my 700 action trued (except for threads) and have the handle retimed. By the time I do this I might as well go to a custom action and gain all the other features. I also like how I can get a shouldered prefit, dont need to mess with headspace and don't really need to buy multiple gauges. I already have a triggertech primary, looks like I can remove the bolt release lever on that and be good to go on the origin. Here's my question. Am I missing out on anything with the origin over other custom actions? Only thing I'm seeing is it's not stainless and doesnt have an integral lug or bolt handle which aren't huge to me. Stainless would be kind of nice but the origin coating seems high quality. Wouldn't really care for a 60° action, I'm not doing any competition. Anyone have any complaints on the origin vs other customs?
You won't be unhappy with any of the Zermatt actions. I have at least one of each and all function flawlessly. Customer Service is excellent. There main guy (Aaron) just got deployed for another tour overseas but everyone there is excellent to work with.

Anyone have problems with swapping barrels with optic installed still? Can you still get the barrel vise clamped on the barrel far enough back?

I don't have to take my scope off to swap barrels.

I have an Origin, Tenacity, and Deviant. In overall smoothness and tightness, I think the Defiance actions win. Mechanically though, the Origin blows them away especially with what you get for the money. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these new actions and one thing I'll never do again is spend money on a factory 700 receiver.

I got a few Atlas actions and have no complaints. They get road hard and put away wet, figuratively and literally.

Yes, they are a bit more expensive but variety is the spice of life!

Choose wisely and enjoy!

Last edited:
I had northland change out my bolt face too. I'm going to start with 223. That will be great for the varmint hunting I have planned and I wanted a 223 anyways for some inexpensive long range practice. Especially with the way reloading components are right now. I just put in an order at keystone for a 1-7 twist bartlein 24" 223 heavy barrel. I was going to get a gm but he didnt have any in stock and doesn't know if he will have any anytime soon. I figured why not go with the bartlein, 223 barrel life is good anyways so I'll get my money's worth. That worked out well for me but in the future I'll probably by whatever blank I want myself and set it to keystone. 75 eldm should be fun. Hopefully the 53gr vmax shoots well too in the faster twist.

I have the barrel in hand from keystone. Looks nice. Hopefully the action ships soon.