• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Original M1-C at the LGS

TenZero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
Texas
My LGS, McBride's Guns, has a claimed original M1-C sniper variant for sale. It is in very nice shape, and appears to have all the correct goodies. I certainly do not know enough about these to verify any claims of originality, but it certainly looks the part, the numbers are right, and they claim to have documented provenance from the CMP.

*I am in no way affiliated with, or advertising for, this shop in any way. If this post violates any rules of conduct, I apologize, and I will remove it immediately. I only posted this as I thought it was incredibly rare and cool, and thought someone here might need one of these in a bad way.

what kind of price is on the M1-C? That will tell you a lot about the rifle. I think the CMP auctioned the M1-C's they had. Not a common rifle.

They are asking 7000 for it. It has the offset scope mount, scope with the single post reticle, lace up leather cheek pad, and the weird cone shaped flash hider.

Examine the papers. Do the papers list a scope?
What type of scope is mounted on the rifle? Is it a military model (M73, M81, M82 or M84) and does it have military markings(stock no. or FSN) and serial number?
The scope mount or bracket has two parts. One part is screwed to the receiver and the second (upper) part holds the scope. Both parts should have the rifle serial number, The Upper portion should also have the name and address of the manufacturer, "Griffin and Howe" as well as a patent number and date.

Almost all the M1Cs that came in a couple years ago were rifles with brackets only. Most rifles you see for sale will be put back together, hopefully with original parts.

Do your homework and make sure that the mount, scope, cheek pad and flash hider are not reproductions. The price is OK if it all checks out but hopefully they will come off it a bit.

I appreciate all the buying advice, guys. I am not a player for this rifle, as my gun budget does not fly at that altitude. I just posted it here in case that was someone's dream gun. I thought it was a very cool thing, and I'm glad it got to fondle it. From what everyone says, it looks to be the real deal. If you are really interested, call them up. I'm sure they will be happy verify everything for you.

Simpson's in IL also has one.... $5695. Has CMP paperwork...

CMP is selling the C's with bracket sans anything else for $3K. It's easy to spend at least that and more these days for original G&H mount, flash hider, cheek pad and scope to complete one.

Current pricing has gone through the roof, original stuff is getting hard to find too. Examples: original G&H mount/rings - $1200, original M1D mount - $450 (10 years ago these were plentiful and about $75), K-line cheek pad - $325, MRT Pad - $250, M84 scope - $1000 and up. M81/82 original ? Good luck... :)

US SPRINGFIELD M1C GARAND, Simpson Ltd

Last edited:
Simpson's in IL also has one.... $5695. Has CMP paperwork...

CMP is selling the C's with bracket sans anything else for $3K. It's easy to spend at least that and more these days for original G&H mount, flash hider, cheek pad and scope to complete one.

Current pricing has gone through the roof, original stuff is getting hard to find too. Examples: original G&H mount/rings - $1200, original M1D mount - $450 (10 years ago these were plentiful and about $75), K-line cheek pad - $325, MRT Pad - $250, M84 scope - $1000 and up. M81/82 original ? Good luck... :)

US SPRINGFIELD M1C GARAND, Simpson Ltd

This one is grossly overpriced. The mount is a Sarco ($345). The commercial Alaskan can be had for $400-$500. That's a $3800.00 set-up. Throw a couple of hundred on “top” for convenience. The Sarco mounts do not just slide on, so it was probably fit to the base. It looks like it was done ok, but you won’t know for sure until delivery.

That would be what they go for if all correct and has papers.

C's don't necessarily have to be "papered" to command a premium. Generally verified by a credible source like Dave McClain is all it takes and C verification is easy because unlike D's, C's fell into a certain SA serial number block. I have owned a few verified C's and CMP D's and the value on C's is all about condition, matching numbers and period correct scope. An original, proper WWII C all matching numbers and original barrel in mint shape could have fetched easy 9 to 10k a few years ago. Since the CMP released C's and a few had original barrels and matching mounts the prices have dropped slightly. I owned a verified SA Korean war rebuild C with properly cartouched stock, Lyman Alaskan B prefixed serial numbered scope and a barrel with a MW of 1 and TE of 2 that I parted with two years ago for $6,500. OP.......do some research.