• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Osprey 45 & Glock 19 FTF & FTE

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
The Osprey runs just fine on the glock 21, but I picked up a booster for the 19 along with a wolf barrel and tested some American Eagle 124grn subsonic loads today which the gun and can did not like. Some stovepipes, FTF, as well as short cycling. I chrony'd the ammo minus the can - 975fps to 1027fps. The gun shot fine with out the osprey, rather high but no issues. This ammo is in a black box and has "suppressor" down the side. When it did shoot, 2 or 3 at a time, boy was it accurate at 25 yards! Any ideas from members on trouble shooting this kit?

I also installed the tall suppressor sights from Ameriglo on the 21. Easily clears the can, but still shot low, and not too accurate I might add, even from a rest. 25 yds. is a stretch, but that range has tables and benches and offers the best set up for such T&E on equipment. Thanks for any help.

Doug

hve you tried different ammo? I know my sig p226 and osprey45 didnt like some of my ammo. It would stovepipe, FTE, and other things even with supersonic 115gr stuff. Tried some different loads (reloads mind you) and using a 147gr it took a couple tries to find a load that it really liked and shot perfectly well. Just an idea to give another ammo type a go.

Someone else can provide more info but you could try a lighter spring. But id only do that with a suppressor only gun and not one i was going to shoot unsuppressed. (that sjust me though)

Subsonic 9mm loads can be difficult to get to cycle the weapon with the suppressor on when used in conjunction with 115 or 124 gr loads as the loads are fairly anemic. Typically 147 gr loads are used for subsonic 9mm loads as they do not need to be reduced much to maintain subsonic speeds. The more the loads have to be reduced the more consistency and reliability tend to decrease.

One more thing I might add as I'm not sure how new you are to your Osprey, but make sure the booster is well lubed and that it slides freely on the assembly. If you are not careful they can get carboned up, which will lead to numerous issues to include stovepipes, etc.

I'd be willing to bet the 124g subsonic is the problem. I've been shooting suppressed 9mm for years and found 124g subsonic is troublesome. Try some 147s.

Very good recommendations in here so far. I would also recommend making sure the piston has a little bit of grease on the area where it makes contact with the o-ring and try some 147gr subs or some lower grain supers and see if it functions. As mentioned I think it is likely that your ammo is the main culprit. If you decide you would like to send it in for us to look at get in touch with me and I can make it happen.

There was a thread yesterday on NFA talk and one of the guys used the same ammo and had the same issues as you. He had pics of the ammo and apparently their QC must be on vacation as most of it looked like reloads

Thank you members for the feedback. And thank you to Andrew as well. I suspected that the ammo was the issue, but I wanted some actual testimony before I made any conclusions. The ammo looks bright and shiny, no reloads here, at least I don't think so. I have some other factory 147's by federal, but I wanted to save that for social purposes, and keeping the kids off my beautiful crabgrass lawn. I suppose I can spare some...I have some factory 115 & 124 as well. I'll be sure to test those and see what shakes out.

I have noticed that the 21 & the can are not terribly accurate. Now I know that this is not meant for pinpoint accuracy, but has anyone noticed this from a same set up? Other cans shoot lights out no matter what I feed them.

Doug

Wish I could comment on that setup, but the closest I could come to that combo would my 22 through my .45 Osprey. Never had issues though and find it to be extremely accurate.

Who made the threaded barrel for your 21?

Very good recommendations in here so far. I would also recommend making sure the piston has a little bit of grease on the area where it makes contact with the o-ring and try some 147gr subs or some lower grain supers and see if it functions. As mentioned I think it is likely that your ammo is the main culprit. If you decide you would like to send it in for us to look at get in touch with me and I can make it happen.

What kind of grease do you recommend for this purpose?