• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Osprey optics?

Re: Osprey optics?

Quite possibly the greatest optics ever...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIwHTBusJfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIwHTBusJfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Lifetime, no questions warranty. Full replacement or your money back, is what got me. So, you guys are saying that I've been had? I had no chance to get to a computer and do research, but the warranty sat me at ease and the glass looked good. Tell me I didn't waste my money, if you can do that without lying to me

You wasted your money big time... in a huge way.

and every piece of glass looks good out of the box, how does it track, how accurate are the adjustments, how well will it hold up to recoil, does the parallax work with the rings on it. Those are more important questions than how the glass looks.

It's an airsoft scope, not much more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You wasted your money big time... in a huge way.

and every piece of glass looks good out of the box, how does it track, how accurate are the adjustments, how well will it hold up to recoil, does the parallax work with the rings on it. Those are more important questions than how the glass looks.

It's an airsoft scope, not much more. </div></div>

I wouldn't go that far. Though some on this board may not know it, not everyone can afford a S&B or a Nightforce, and buying low dollar scopes is about the only way most people can get into the sport. Most don't have 3 or $4000 lying around to get a great rifle with all of the amenities and top of the line glass right off the bat.

Osprey, though not great, is not terrible either. I ran one on my AR for a while and was reasonably happy, though 3-9x proved to be too much magnification for my purposes (ended up with a 1-4x). You will want to upgrade at some point, but use the hell out of the Osprey until you're able to decide more definitively what you're looking for before you spend big money on a scope.

....and the debate continues.......like it has been beaten to death before.. you dont have to spend 1,2,3 grand for a good scope. Vortex, IOR, SWFA, LEU, etc,etc all have good optics......let it rest

Please Spare Us,

You can't even begin to think that paying $100 or less for a scope is something to even consider wondering about. It's not a matter of if, but when will it break, that is just a fact of life. This isn't about being elitist, its about being honest, a Chinese product that retails for $100 and you're questioning the merit of the purchase. This is the scope you shoot at, not with, unless it is going on an Airsoft gun.

read the horror stories, just google Osprey Optics, for every cheerleader who found a good deal at a gun show, there are 3 guys who's knobs fell off, screws were missing or fell out, etc, etc, etc...

It might not be a total waste of money, people spend more a month on cigarettes, but that doesn't make it a more a consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You wasted your money big time... in a huge way.

It's an airsoft scope, not much more. </div></div>

pwned8_20090902_2025217188.jpg

Well, We'll see. It has a no questions asked, full replacement or your money back warranty. If it won't hold zero or it won't shoot the box, I'll send it back. For what I have tied up in it, it's hard to go wrong. If I have to send it back, I'll get the Mueller I was looking at, which doesn't get high marks here either, but I know to be good glass for the cash

Thanks for the help fellas

I had bought an osprey at the Reno show. Piece of crap. Couldn't hold zero and zero wasn't anywhere close to middle of knob travel.

Having a warranty is one thing. Getting the distributor to honor the warranty is what really matters. The west coast dealer I bought mine from gave me the run around for 6 weeks and demanded my defective scope be in like new condition. I'm guessing he planned on selling it again.

I'm using a Falcon now and like it. Okay for less than $400. If you want cheaper then try the Bushnell 3200.

You better have the receipt for the sale, because everyone I have read about it, they demand the original sales receipt and won't honor the warranty without it.

I have the reciept in hand. After reading this thread, I'm tempted to take it back tomorrow and demand my money back from the guy. I can do that and get the Mueller, or I can take my chances with this one. What do you all suggest?

i suggest you save a little more money, dont let it burn a hole in your pocket and get something of decent quality

we don't have much laying around right now and I''m trying to get my AR ready for Coyote season in a few weeks. I had to jump on this, just to get some glass on my rig.

I'll be honest, I made it through a couple of replies. Including a coulpe of lowlight's (which I find truth bearing) and one that said they weren't so bad (which I found wisdom lacking.)

I recall a phonecall I got about 6 months ago or more from my buddy asking about this scope. He was at a gunshow similar to the one you were at today at the agcenter, I told him it sounded too good to be true and he bought it. Turns out I was right (for once) and it was the biggest waste of 150 bucks at the whole show.

IMO here are a couple of suggestions
at the lowest level a bushnell 3200 10x40 mil. Good turrets.
Next up (what now sits on my buds 700,) Nikon Monarch.

Hate to break it to ya, its a piece. Good news is you can sell it to a sucker at the next gun show.

P.S. PM me if you want to talk to a semi local guy. sounds like were within a couple hundred miles or so of eachother.

eleaf, you can't sit here and say not everyone can afford a good a good scope. SWFA Super Sniper is the perfect budget scope for those that can't afford a S&B, USO, or other really high end glass.

I live in Olive Branch. Where are you in the Sipp?

Since i have the scope, I'll stick it on the AR and see what it does. If it sux, I'll get a SS and shoot at the Osprey. Sounds like a good time either way

Better off buying something that has a good history.
Millett,Super Sniper,Falcon and Wonders Optics are all good quality scopes that won't break the bank. They work very well, the glass is no where near S&B or US Optics, but they will work very well.

It's been proven that it can be done. As usual, when it comes to firearms topics, Mythbusters is wrong

I bought one on a whim at a gunshow after a lot of sales hype from the dealer. I paid $150 (3-9X) and I thought the glass looked ok and that it might be ok for a knock around scope. Well, I ended up mounting it on my stepson's AR. In the process of trying to get it zeroed the elevation knob fell off. And it never would zero......

As one who know you get what you pay for, I got exactly what I paid for.

Should have used the money for a Troy BUIS or like, at least it wouldn't be in the local landfill now.........

My experience wasn't terrible. It sat fine and held a zero with no issues on my AR. It just wasn't too clear in the higher magnifications.

I never had any build problems, and would recommend one to someone who simply wanted some glass on their AR without spending too much money.

One shouldn't expect any real quality from glass this cheap (or even from glass 2 or 3x its price), but just because it isn't a NF doesn't mean that airsoft is the only valid application for it. In a pinch, I would rather have one of those than nothing at all if glass was called for. I wouldn't buy one again, but if one wanted some glass that was cheap, I would point them in Osprey's direction.

I saw a few people selling these at a Gun Show a few weeks ago so I checked one out. The guy had a Mark 4 on the same table and the difference indoors at about 50 yards with tons of light the difference was very noticable. Granted the price point is 5x different as well. Glass aside the parralax was WAY to easy to spin ... and the elevation nob got VERY mushy at the top of the adjustment. Granted ... as others have said ... you get what you pay for. I have no need for $3000 glass ... my 10x42 SS HD works great and for the money i think I got a great scope. For those who want a big "tacticool" scope for pics ... get one. Otherwise i was not impressed at all.

That's kinda what I was thinking. If it'll hold zero on my .223 Ar, then I'll be happy. All the knobs feel solid so far and once the rifle is zeroed, they won't get moved again. Time will tell what happens next.

The Mueller APV is $115 and I took a chance on one for one of my rimfire builds and couldn't be happier. Since then, I've purchased several more ot outfit some other rimfire rifles and have even turned a few friends on to this inexpensive option. At a lesser price than a Leupold Rifleman, and more magnification, I see it hard to go wrong.
I just got the Osprey mounted up on the AR and plan to shoot it next weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted on how this one works for me

The Mueller APV is an awesome piece for a rimfire set-up. It doesn't have mildots, but it is nice looking glass and holds zero. I have not tried the one you linked to yet, but I plan to in the future

when the Osprey table of scopes showed up at the local gunshow, i looked them over but they really reminded me of the table of NcStar and similar brands that offer a wide variety for a low price. plus these guys were from out of state and i had just never heard of them. never heard of the vortex crossfire, but id buy that before i bought an osprey. i like the actual bird though, they are making a comeback

Well, I thought I'd post an update. I got the scope mounted on my short barreled AR and got a chance to go out and try to get it to zero. One thing I can say is, it was too damn cold to be outside just to sight in this rifle, but I had to zero my muzzleloader before next weekend so I decided to take the AR along too.
I think this scope will serve its purpose well. I plan to use this rig to shoot coyotes this spring

1262997403.jpg

All groups were shot using Remington UMC 55gr ammo that Wal-Mart had on sale and a pair of coveralls used for a rest on top of a picnic table at my hunting land. When the temps warm up a bit, I plan to go to my buddy's farm with my sand bags and some better ammo and see if things improve at all.

These are two groups (2 shots each) I shot while getting the rifle to hit where I wanted it to.

1262997345.jpg

And this is the final group (3 shots) at 100 yards. It's not the best, but is pretty good with a short barrel, and will serve its pupose well I believe

1262997347.jpg

Just thought some of you might be interested in an update