• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors OSS vs Sig… which has less blowback?

JimmyT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
I’m planning for my next suppressor purchase. I’ve narrowed my choices down to two .308 cans for multiple rifles. The OSS

HX-QD 762 Ti vs the Sig HLX 7.62 Ti. anyone have experience with both and can give an opinion?

For reference, my first can is a Rugged Razor. Tough as nails can, but want my next one to be a lot better on back pressure.

And the battle of the fan boys starts now... .

Seriously though, what are you going to use it on?
And back pressure can often be addressed by things like adjustable gas blocks, bolt carriers with suppressor switches and heavier buffers. You need to tune the system as a whole.

Lower back pressure cans make it much less troublesome to run can off / can on without having to mess with settings. Gas gun there is an appreciable advantage to using a lower back pressure can, especially if rifle will be used w/ & w/o can attached.
Lower back pressure can also allows rifle to run longer w/o failure to function.

Never used HX or Sig HLX but in my experience w/LT TranQuilo, the gas guns run nearly 3X as many rds before needing cleaned / lube added vs higher back pressure cans.

I’m planning on running this on multiple host, mainly 308/6.5 creedmoor and 5.56/7.62x39 semi auto rifles. My goal is to “tune” the rifle once and run the crap out of them. I’m interested in a low back pressure can so I don’t have to hack and cough when hog hunting.

I have the OSS, no experience with the Sig. I did notice the OSS stuff just went on sale so you could pick up the 762Ti for about $200 less than usual. The latest version has a flash hider too. I use mine on an AR10, AR15 and 300 blackout gas guns as well as a Sig Cross bolt gun. Easy to keep clean, dunk it in cleaner and shoot it out. Love the way it mounts, never carbon locks. I think they're including a muzzle device now as well. The muzzle brake works really well without the can.

Reactions: JimmyT
I also have the OSS HX-QD 762 Ti can. I've used it on my LMT MWS and a couple of AR15s. Very little gas to face even during extended shooting and absolutely no tuning needed on any setup I've used.

I have the OSS. The flow through works well enough that running my scar 20s in the suppressed setting isn’t enough gas for the bolt to go all the way back. “Causes malfunction” is a weird endorsement, I know.

Well, you open up a challenge, as less blow-back and quiet are inversely proportional, so you need to dial-in and choose where you make a trade-off. What I have seen is that the new OSS under Hurwrx seems to have a slight edge over the OSS of a year ago. I would also look strongly at CGS, as their engineering is amazing, and all of their products are pretty sweet, when it comes to trading off blow-back and silence.

Also, keep in mind that blow-back matters much more with shorter barrels (and thus higher muzzle pressures), than with longer barrels. We do a lot of work with 10.3" to 12.5" barrels, and the effect of blow-back is much more intense than with a bolt gun and a long barrel.

I have a HX 762, I use it on a 16" 308 AR-10, and used it on a 20" 6.5cm bolt gun. I now have a CHS Hyperion K on the bolt gun. I've been extremely happy with the OSS can personally, and even though it's not "the quietest" can out there, it still performs well. Haven't used the CGS on my AR 10 yet, probably never will either.

I have a HX 762, I use it on a 16" 308 AR-10, and used it on a 20" 6.5cm bolt gun. I now have a CHS Hyperion K on the bolt gun. I've been extremely happy with the OSS can personally, and even though it's not "the quietest" can out there, it still performs well. Haven't used the CGS on my AR 10 yet, probably never will either.
How much of a POI shift are you seeing with this can on your bolt gun? Any accuracy issues?

How much of a POI shift are you seeing with this can on your bolt gun? Any accuracy issues?
With the OSS, I had a consisten shift of 1.5" low at 100 yds, I suppose that's like .4 mil but I was zeroed with the can. This was consistent between the factory 20" CTR barrel, and the current IBI 20" fluted straight taper to .8" muzzle. The OSS is a heavier can and a significant shift down in POI should be expected, but it is consistent and repeatable. The new CGS can had a shift 1" high and 1/2" left from where I was zeroed for the OSS, so half the weight, half the shift in this case.

The whole debate over which of the suppressors is slightly quieter is a bit less important on a gas gun such as a large frame AR where the action cycling could actually have a higher peak noise pulse than many bullets coming out the front of the suppressor do.

“I’m planning on running this on multiple host, mainly 308/6.5 creedmoor and 5.56/7.62x39 semi auto rifles. My goal is to “tune” the rifle once and run the crap out of them. I’m interested in a low back pressure can so I don’t have to hack and cough when hog hunting”

this is why I went with a hxqd 762ti, with a beanie and carhart hood, shooting a 7.62x39 cmmg 16” is not uncomfortable and I have tender ears. Just with how clean it keeps your gun compared to a baffled can is worth for me.
Try and hold out for pew science testing on the sig or for the 3d printed 762 huxwrx can that will be the absolute tits meow.

The whole debate over which of the suppressors is slightly quieter is a bit less important on a gas gun such as a large frame AR where the action cycling could actually have a higher peak noise pulse than many bullets coming out the front of the suppressor do.
And, while a higher back pressure can may meter with lower numbers at the muzzle, they very well may meter with higher numbers at the shooter's ear (relative to a low back pressure design)- which is where we all should be more concerned.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The loudest part of my 300BO is the action cycling noise for sure.

Reactions: W54/XM-388