• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns OTF or Auto Folding Microtech

deerhunter70

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
It’s time to buy a new auto since I just lost one of my Benchmades. I am looking at the Microtechs. I have a BM Infidel and it’s one of my least favorite knives. I’ve been happy with my BM auto folders. The knife will be an every day carry. I want to try the MTs. How are their OTFs? I’ve read they are leaps and bounds better than the Infidels, would you agree? I don’t like how flimsy my Infidel feels, how do the MTs compare. Or should I just go with their auto folders.
Thanks,
J

The MT Scarab is a perfect size IMO for an OTF. If you're leaning MT, I'd take a look at the Scarab. For push button autos, the Kershaw launch line is hard to beat and they make a model for most everyone; the price is right, too.

I'm done with Benchmade after this last round of lefty campaign donations crap. Anyhow, the deployment button on the infidel is not well positioned, which is a deal breaker for me along with spear tipped (double edged) blades.

I like the UTX85 size/form factor, one has been my EDC for the last year. Later this year I’ll add one of the new Mini Socom Elites when they go back into production.

I have a few ultratechs. They have been good knives. I also have an LUDT, a UTX85 and a manual Socom. For an EDC type knife I would get the Ultratech or the UTX 85.