• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other 50's

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
Just wondering if anyone here has played with other .50 cal cartridges apart from the .50 BMG for ELR shooting.
I am thinking of using a Stiller Tac 408 action to build a .510" calibre wildcat based on the Cheytac series of cartridges. This would use the parent .505 Gibbs case from Bertram that is designed for full power loads compared to some low pressure, European brass made for the old rifles in .505 Gibbs.

The only other truly long range 50 is from Anzio Ironworks. It`s called the 50-20. The 50 Cheytac should push a 750gr AMAX around 2400fps. Then there`s the 50 Spotter. Not much pumpkin though. Also there is a 50-416 Barrett which basically duplicates the 50BMG with less powder. I had a 500 Accurate Reloading which is basically a 338 Lapua necked up to .510 and improved. I was pushing 750gr Amaxes over 2100fps. My rifle weighed 26lbs and still kicked like a mule! There are more but this gives you an idea.

50 dtc basically identical to the 50 bmg ballistically. It's what us California guys use since they banned 50 bmg rifles here.

If you are considering an alternative "full size" 50, you might consider the 510 Allen Magnum (bottom of this page - Allen Magnum Wildcats ). Kirby Allen specs moving the 750 A-MAX at 3000 fps from a 33" barrel. Using JBM data that calcs to staying supersonic to 2720 yards.

I just did a quick check on the CH4D site and found no 50 cal on the 505 Gibbs shell holder listing that are not, in fact, a variant of the 505 Gibbs. Seems such a solution would be unique. If you go that way and want to use the A-MAX you might want to consider an "improved" version.

If you want a "true" 50, you'll need to step up to a 50 BMG-class action. If you already have the TAC408 on hand or on order, I think most folks will tell you the hot ticket is the 375 CT - or 375 Allen Magnum (which specs as the hottest available without going pure custom).

Good luck with your research.

Thanks for the info.
I have ordered .510" Gibbs dies from CH4d and a custom accuracy reamer from PTG. The .510" Gibbs is 3mm longer than a .408 Cheytac necked up to .510"
Should go ok. If I can get 2400fps with a 750gn Hornady A-Max I will be happy.
I already shoot a .375 Cheytac barrel with this action so this extra barrel is just going to be for fun and something "different".