• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other Construction GCs, OSHA Q?

Oh look, a fan of hiring illegals because you don't want to pay a decent wage😂😂😂 I see why you don't like OSHA.
If only life was so simple. Again, you clearly don't have to hire anyone, because if you did, you would understand. They stopped making men about 30 years ago. This generation of kids are fucking entitled and pathetic. They want to stand around on their phones all day watching tik tok videos. Some day you'll probably understand.

If only life was so simple. Again, you clearly don't have to hire anyone, because if you did, you would understand. They stopped making men about 30 years ago. This generation of kids are fucking entitled and pathetic. They want to stand around on their phones all day watching tik tok videos. Some day you'll probably understand.

Too bad half the bosses are watching the videos with their employees because they are just as worthless. If you don't think management is just as bad, you're even dumber than I thought. Management sucks and is the reason people job hop. You'll walk by the worthless fucks on their phone to go tell a good worker to get busy because they stopped for a minute to take a break.

Too bad half the bosses are watching the videos with their employees because they are just as worthless. If you don't think management is just as bad, you're even dumber than I thought. Management sucks and is the reason people job hop. You'll walk by the worthless fucks on their phone to go tell a good worker to get busy because they stopped for a minute to take a break.
So, what do you do for a living? You're bitter as hell and feel unappreciated? That likely makes you something associated with welding, and you're defending people watching videos on their phones while complaining about "management", so you're maybe late 20's to early 30's. Could be a pipe fitter, but I doubt it. How close am I?

So, what do you do for a living? You're bitter as hell and feel unappreciated? That likely makes you something associated with welding, and you're defending people watching videos on their phones while complaining about "management", so you're maybe late 20's to early 30's. Could be a pipe fitter, but I doubt it. How close am I?

How do you come up with defending people watching videos on their phone out of my post?

Honestly doing a job safe and correct should never be a problem. If either safe or correct isnt, then make it safe and correct. If you get pushback. Stop the job. It should be your fault if you cant make it right. Let all employees have the ability to stop the job for these reasons also.

Small safety infractions can still lead to big injuries and costs. I was on a job site where a dude didn’t wear cut proof gloves to unload sheet metal and cut the shit out of his hand. Another where dude didn’t attach his yoyo and got flipped out of a boom lift. Another where a guy wears the wrong footwear and slips off a roof to get his nuts crushed by his fall arrest. Every injury is a loss of time, labor, and money as well as insurance costs going up. Get rid of dudes who refuse to comply.

Oh, and you're slow.

Now I get it.

Nope, I'll spell it out for you. Simply pointing out that management is watching videos on their phones or computer just as much as the employees. It's not just an employee problem. Management sets a wonderful example, then bitches when they see someone else do it. The fucking around on phones need to stop completely.

One of the bright sides was reading shit-house poetry or declarations.

A gringo I worked with once confessed to scribing this gem -

Tu Madre mama Berga por gratis.

I once asked a mexican what was the worst part of that. "Por gratis," he said.

• Haha
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Nope, I'll spell it out for you. Simply pointing out that management is watching videos on their phones or computer just as much as the employees. It's not just an employee problem. Management sets a wonderful example, then bitches when they see someone else do it. The fucking around on phones need to stop completely.
I am on my phone all day long. It's how I make money. I am doing business. That's my job. It's the job of grunts like you to do whatever it is you do. You don't have to understand why we are on out phones, just keep dumping those garbage cans into the back of the truck, or whatever it is that you do.

Small safety infractions can still lead to big injuries and costs. I was on a job site where a dude didn’t wear cut proof gloves to unload sheet metal and cut the shit out of his hand. Another where dude didn’t attach his yoyo and got flipped out of a boom lift. Another where a guy wears the wrong footwear and slips off a roof to get his nuts crushed by his fall arrest. Every injury is a loss of time, labor, and money as well as insurance costs going up. Get rid of dudes who refuse to comply.

This was just brought up the other day. The little incidents always lead up to bigger ones. We just got dropped by the insurance company for too many major claims. The problem is, they preach safety but don't enforce it. They keep making more rules instead of enforcing what we already have in place that would have the same result, getting rid of the problem employees.

Reactions: Modoc
I am on my phone all day long. It's how I make money. I am doing business. That's my job. It's the job of grunts like you to do whatever it is you do. You don't have to understand why we are on out phones, just keep dumping those garbage cans into the back of the truck, or whatever it is that you do.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it? There's a difference between using your phone for business and watching YouTube and tik tok videos on it🤦‍♂️

In my job in management, I am on the phone or computer all day dealing with information and being responsible for the guys doing the physical work. Times when I have to leave the office and run everything from the phone. At least until I get to where my wife stays and get back on my laptop.

Us guys on the phones are keeping the money rolling by being available to answer questions from clients about pricing. They are always selling a new type of installation and I have to find out how to install something in one minute that I have never seen before.

So, I do not get to pick up a shovel but my work keeps the shovel work going. And we have guys (with papers, one comes all the way from El Salvador,) who will do the work. So, I should clarify. It is the whiny ass gringos who need to grab a shovel. My job would be easier with native English speakers. But every time we get one, they get to the first real assignment that will average 300 feet at 18 inches deep and then they run for the hills.

So, I may be zipping up the tollway on the phone with a customer and then on the phone with a crew speaking half Spanish.

We had a guy who seemed to resent me and would suggest I was using the computer for idle wandering. But he had the chance at my job and refused to take it. The stress involved in my position is massive. If he tried it, he would have left the office in horror in 10 minutes.

In my job in management, I am on the phone or computer all day dealing with information and being responsible for the guys doing the physical work. Times when I have to leave the office and run everything from the phone. At least until I get to where my wife stays and get back on my laptop.

Us guys on the phones are keeping the money rolling by being available to answer questions from clients about pricing. They are always selling a new type of installation and I have to find out how to install something in one minute that I have never seen before.

So, I do not get to pick up a shovel but my work keeps the shovel work going. And we have guys (with papers, one comes all the way from El Salvador,) who will do the work. So, I should clarify. It is the whiny ass gringos who need to grab a shovel. My job would be easier with native English speakers. But every time we get one, they get to the first real assignment that will average 300 feet at 18 inches deep and then they run for the hills.

So, I may be zipping up the tollway on the phone with a customer and then on the phone with a crew speaking half Spanish.

We had a guy who seemed to resent me and would suggest I was using the computer for idle wandering. But he had the chance at my job and refused to take it. The stress involved in my position is massive. If he tried it, he would have left the office in horror in 10 minutes.
Yeah, you understand. Home boy above you thinks we are playing on our phones while he puts on his cape and saves the day.

Hehe, did I say I was a superintendent? I'm an engineer by trade, I tend to overthink everything. Maybe its my lack of a traditional fat... ;)
after the contracts have been awarded and a pre construction meeting is set, this is where you and the project manager get to layout what is expected and required on your job site. Safety falls on you to enforce but there has to be buy in by all subcontractors that are going to be working on your jobsite. I can’t stress enough the need to document the meetings, have everyone sign in.
Having said that, the subcontractor foreman hasn’t read the contract documents, hasn’t looked at the plans more than 10 minutes before pulling up to your job site and does not know the scope of the work, other than yadda, yadda and try’s to figure it out a day ahead. He hates his office, knows more than the superintendent before he gets out of his truck and has little idea who’s going to be working with him or where his fucking material is going. Safety is about the last thing he’s thinking of.
that’s why you have to have a copy of the contract, plans, and specifications in your reach and hopefully in your head. You have to hit with safety requirements escpecially hard so he and every swinging dick on the jobsite knows where that stands, otherwise it’s like a creeping shitshow and your playing catch up.
Most foreman I have seen in the last 10 years were more interested in being buddies with the coworkers than getting shit done safely. I hold foreman to a very high degree of accountability on my job sites( so glad I retired😉).
Now to avoid the shit show , before anyone steps on your jobsite, they must come in your trailer and go through a safety orientation video with sign off after the video, I even had this in Spanish, then it’s on them and the subs office to unfuck themselves.
If the company you work for fails to embrace safety procedures to get the guys home at the end of each day fuck em go find another company that does.

Good info in some of the earlier replies (Jrassey, Candyx & others). Money, hit them in the pocket book, first with good contract language and then with pay deductions for infractions. Escalate above the project personnel up to their corporate office. Demand a new Superintendent that follows the safety plan. Hold retainage if they are not following the safety plan in the event of violation costs exceeding their remaining contract amount until they comply.

Reactions: jrassy
We are trying every day…. From trying to teach Afghans not to shit in their drinking water to trying to shut these guys down.

Then again, starving people do what they gotta do.

Yeah, life is cheap elsewhere. One of the reasons they strap on Semtex tuxedos and run into Hiltons with a promise of paradise after the earth-shattering kaboom. Anything is better than living in a shithole.

Sirhr

thats quite the video! Very interesting, totally different mentality from industry here in the us.

Most people don't have the balls when you're younger and don't know any better. There was a time where people respected their boss and didn't think they would put them in harms way. We were all young and dumb at one point in time. Well, except for some of the hide experts 😂
I learned at 20 after just buying a house. I turned down a amazing job offer to be loyal to my employer and was laid off a month later. After that fukm. I do whats best for me. The company is i work for now is good to me and i reciprocate but the minute that changes im out.

I learned at 20 after just buying a house. I turned down a amazing job offer to be loyal to my employer and was laid off a month later. After that fukm. I do whats best for me. The company is i work for now is good to me and i reciprocate but the minute that changes im out.
I was in my 20's when I learned a similar lesson. I cringe a little bit when companies say they treat their employees like family because not every family is a Norman Rockwell painting so are we talking Leave It To Beaver or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

I was in my 20's when I learned a similar lesson. I cringe a little bit when companies say they treat their employees like family because not every family is a Norman Rockwell painting so are we talking Leave It To Beaver or Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
Yep ive also been let go a 3 weeks before Christmas with a pregnant wife. Only union shop i ever worked for. Shady as fuck and i called it out. Its a big part of why they got rid of me. They we're sued by another employee i probably should have joined the suit.

Reactions: Bradu
It took me longer to learn this lesson. My employment is an agreement with the employer. We agree to exchange labor for pay. I don’t owe them loyalty nor do they owe me loyalty beyond that agreement.

"I'm a site super, I don't have formal training in the industry, less than 5 years of experience in construction."

"A decade in project management. We have a 3rd-party safety audit every 2 weeks."

It's sounds like you wrote a great resume and are now over your head.
I've seen you in the trailer and driving by the site. That clean hard hat and clean boots give you away.

You should have already sent the offender home for the day after the 2nd or 3rd verbal, depending on the severity and their response.

Site walk throughs that are announced are a joke if you only have them 2 a month. I've literally had wadot with binos watching for seatbelts on transit jobs. OSHA is just a compliance thing. Yes there's safety and yes there's bullshit. Do the dangerous shit safely and the rest isn't hard to comply with.

In over my head, yes. I was on the concrete crew for this project through last winter. Started as layout, then after the concrete foreman quit, I took over that, then when the superintendent quit, I took over that. I'm 36.

DSC00065.jpg

Meant to say project engineering.
So, not an engineer at all?

That distinction is important. It clears up some of this discussion. I'm not knocking what you do, but too many people call themselves engineers, and are not. I'll give you a piece of advice: stop calling yourself an engineer. It makes it seem like you have knowledge that you don't. It will eventually bite you in the ass.

Reactions: camocorvette
You're talking about a massive multi-trade project with layer after layer of contractor and subs. I've done that crap too. I assumed from the 3 story apartment building that he was the primary. Can't be that many folks on a project that size. There's nothing worse than people who monitor safety as a career choice. I won't have it. I won't bid or accept a project with that stipulation. There is more work out there than I could do with 10x the workforce I have currently, so I can be picky. I also won't build for the big corporations because they throw crap like this on you. I've worked for the ADM, Cargill, tate and Lyle etc crowd, and they can keep it. They force so much safety crap on you that you need to double your labor just to meet their requirements. I could tell horror stories until it's time to open presents in the morning. If you guys choose to sign up for those headaches, then this is what you get.
When I first started in the ironworkers trade in the 70's we didn't have safety men on the crew or even a company safety man , but it was mostly small family owned companies back then , and non government work , but later after I joined the union and hired on with larger companies. The safety started getting more and more serious, and it always seemed like the safety guy was a useless pos related to the owner that they wouldn't fire , so they'd make him the safety man to get him out of the crew. And it always went to the pos head and the power tripping would start , when I finally retired I was so fucking happy to get away from all the safety bullshit that was thrown into a simple two hour job , that would drag it out to two fucking days , thought I would miss going to work and all the cool shit that goes on at big construction sites , nope not one bit , stress free and enjoying the hell out of retirement.

• Love
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway