• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other than 556 are they worth it?

tmpohuski7

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
MD
Looking for opinions on AR 15 platform caliber compared to 556 for match shooting out to 600 or 700 yards. What have others done and has it been worth it. Not looking for large frame AR or short range hunting knock down. Looking for a flatter shooting caliber that will cheat wind a little better than 77 gr.

Re: Other than 556 are they worth it?

Not sure it will do what you want but I love my 6.8. Lot's of powerr and not as heavy as an AR10

Take a look at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 LBC. Might fit the bill.

6.8 and 6.5 are both very similar out to around 600-700 yards, so you can't go wrong with either if that is the range you will be shooting. I recommend the 6.8 since components and stuff are a little easier to find, not saying that its difficult to find components for the 6.5 though.

For that range, I chose 308--its just easier.

If locked into the AR15 platform, I would go with the 6.5 Grendel.

BMT

6mm Hagar looks amazing but it requires barrel length and lots of it, it uses the 6.8 SPC bolt and mags. 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm or 6.5 PPC, or you could swith to one of the WSSM but they will greatly restrict magazine capacity. Lots of choices, but you can get some very impressive long range performance with a 18" 1/7 shooting heavier pills (75gr +) pushing them hard, I have used 77gr SMKs and MR2000 powder to get to 1K with the 5.56, why reinvent the wheel.

<a href="http://www.dtechuppers.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.dtechuppers.com </a>

Kirk R

You could consider the 6x45mm.

Should work very well for paper punching and you would need nothing more than a new barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure it will do what you want but I love my 6.8. Lot's of powerr and not as heavy as an AR10</div></div>

+1

Very impressed with the 6.8spc this deer season!!

On an AR15 platform, I would go with a 6.5 Grendel. But for those ranges why not step up to a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that range, I chose 308--its just easier.

If locked into the AR15 platform, I would go with the 6.5 Grendel.

BMT

</div></div>

Same

damn right it is, the 6.5 grendel, 6MM AR and variant, the .300 BLKout just to name a few are very good efficient caliber that shine in an AR platform, as well as the 5.56 round. more flavor is not a bad thing.

I really love the way my 6.5 grendel shoots the 108 Lapuas. Also I have the 6x45. I can get better muzzle velocity out of the 75gr bullet in the 6x45, then a 70gr 556. Because of shallower seating of the 6mm bullet, plus the 6mm and 6.5 tend to have the better BC numbers to keep a higher down range velocities then a .224 Plus most states have a caliber restriction of .243 (6mm) and above for big game hunting.
I just think you can't go wrong with the 6, or 6.5 if your at a crossroads to make the change, or initial purchase. But this is just what I have seen using them, and for fitting my needs.

Fast twist .204, 50 grain bullets. Will amaze you and no issues with feeding etc.
RTH

308 is a LOT heavier and bulkier. If you're just target shooting, that's OK, but if you hunt or carry it far at all, it's a lot of gun.

I've got a 6.8 and have a 6.5 on the way, they're both fairly easy to find ammo, and brass compared to some of the other guns like the 6mm from what I've seen. but if you're reloading, it shouldn't be that bad if you do some planning. I think the variants on the AR-15 are some of the best ideas in guns in the last 50 years.

Hey Tom- Take a look at the 6mmAR Turbo. If you remember my buddy Kyle from a couple of the Reade Range matches...he had one and it kicked much ass.

Plus, the company that pioneered it is pretty much local to you.

http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo.html

I have a 6.8 and a 6.5 grenel. Love both rounds. Either is well worth it IMO.. I also have a build in and should have it in about 3-4 weeks of a 6mm WOA... Any of these would fit that bill. I have no cycling issues with the grendel or 6.8. And from what I have read no issues are to be had of the 6WOA either.. Take the approach I did and if you cant decide on just one, but them all...
eek.gif

As you can see..there are not very many options out there..haha...
My vote is for the 6.5 Grendel ... about the same recoil as a .556 but much high BC bullet could show significant benefits in the wind at the ranges you are talking about. Very good factory ammo available from Hornady and if you reload, you can get brass from_ Lapua.

.264 123gr A-Max has a BC of .510 and .308 178gr A-Max has a BC of .495

6.5 Grendel is on par with 308 when it comes to target shooting. Hunting is a different matter.