• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Other than Multi-Cam

Muskox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
Sucky Kentucky
We have our new Navy AOR spec camos coming out, and I really like the Forest version of Optifade.

What other nifty new camo patterns are out there you guys are digging.

gallery05.jpg

url]

Re: Other than Multi-Cam

I am still baffled as to why each branch needs it's own pattern.

I can see different patterns for different environments. That is why we had desert and woodland BDU's. But EVERYONE had the same desert or woodland BDU's.

The concept of Navy Blue digital camo is to have a uniform that didn't get killed by one bad paint or grease job. As in you could have a reasonable ammount of Haze grey pain dropped on it, aircraft grease, or even a ball point pen explode and you didn't have to shell out another $80 for a new set of cammies.

As for the why? The Army pattern doesn't work in the Afghanistan, the Air Force pattern is gay and the same, the Marine pattern has USMC stenciled through out it, and the Coast Guard is solid blue.

We have about 50,000 total Navy EOD, SEALS, Forward Deployed Naval Aviation types, Loaners to the Army, and SEABEES probably not enough to warrant 2 new patterns, but since the other options aren't options we had to do our own thing.

The Green one is a 90% angled knock off of the CADPAT, and the desert is something Blackhawk came up with.

Personally I like Realtree Max-1 for my Western hunting.

A-Tacs is kind of a digital version of Mossy Oak Brush. I bet it confuses the hell out of coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than Multi Cam I like the ATAC...

tps_a_tacs_tops.jpg

</div></div>

That looks like my clothes after I change my oil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

gallery05.jpg

url]
</div></div>

I would see this in the woods like neon. Granted I am color blind and so a lot of camo
has the reverse effect, but I have to believe that this is an exceptionally bright green (I think it is green - the predominate color on the garment - it is bright none the less) to everyone here as well.

The LL posted looks effective in multiple environments.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other than Multi Cam I like the ATAC...

tps_a_tacs_tops.jpg

</div></div>

good urban, "ok" in rocks, sucky everywhere else..

A-TACS is really cool looking, but no camo works everywhere...

I wish they did some more specialized color schemes.

For a Woodland Area Camo I'm fond of the Polish Army Pantera (AKA - Polish Woodland) Pattern:

polish-pantera-camouflage-jacket-1005-14-bsmoh1191.jpg

Some very good prices to had here: Hwesta out of Poland on Helikon branded gear. They also have a pattern called Camogrom, which is a Polish version of Multicam.

Prices even with shipping from the EU, are much better than I've seen on similar quality gear in the US.

For hunting in my area I use Predator Camo in Green Deception in the early season and I use ASAT in the later part of the season.

Apart from my all time fave BFF multicam (works *OK* in most environments, which is more than I can say about any other pattern including my beloved woodland marpat), I am a huge fan of the sitka optifade. I used it for the first time last season and it was absolutely incredible. When hunting here in Virginia and southern Maryland ASAT (<span style="font-style: italic">not to be confused with ATACS</span>) is also absolutely superb.

That "Camogrom" does look good BobinNC and the prices are pretty cheap!....I bookmarked that page.

+1 on the ATACS camo patterns are sometimes alot like fishing lures they are really made to catch the fisherman more than the fish. Take a good look at the area you intend to use it and try to come up with the best match. Add some local foliage tied on with 550 cord if you are really looking to conceal yourself.

How do you even make a camouflage pattern?
Is it just a bitmap image file? Is it seamlessly tileable or just big enough to cover everything?

AUSCAM all the way...
Best bet to fade it, as the new stuff is way too bright and doesnt blend well. Crawl through some mud and heavy wash it a few times and it goes nice and faded.

35812_1199746012068_1781076846_394244_5427098_n.jpg

Edit.
Though as i say this, the Australian Army is moving to MultiCam...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am still baffled as to why each branch needs it's own pattern.

I can see different patterns for different environments. That is why we had desert and woodland BDU's. But EVERYONE had the same desert or woodland BDU's.</div></div>

Totally agree. The new uniform madness seems to be more fashion show that anything else.

From a non military uniform POV I like multicam a lot (even though its mil camo
smile.gif
), but depending on what I find myself doing, I choose based on the place I'm going. For instance a woodland bottom and DCU top works well in the birch stands we have in northern Minnesota, the under brush is green and woody, the birch trunks being white and gray lend towards the DCU.

But since I have to have orange on when I hunt most things, I like comfy pants like broken in Carharts, and a weather appropriate shirt.

For things like turkey hunting, or predators, I'll go with an environmental consistent camo up to and including some if not all of a ghillie. Viper hood works wonders if your bottom half is under concealment.

C_K

I have 2 favorites, neither of which are Multicam. Do people really wear that to hunt in? I know people think its "cool", but actual concealment, seems like at the low end of the list.

I have some Game Hide camo, the material is their "Hush Hide". The pattern is called Naked North. It works great in just about any area where a green is not the dominant color, and since I don't hunt in any jungles here in OKlahoma, it works very well. I change to a different pattern if spring turkey hunting, usually a leafy 3D style camo, but otherwise the Naked North works great.
58e0c420.jpg

My other favorite is Mossy Oak Brush. The stuff is amazing and can blend you in to just about any enviroment. It just works.
045a5afd.jpg

Anyone check out the new editions of Small Arms Review and Combat Tactics? Both dudes on the cover photos are wearing something interesting... WTF is it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-Tacs is kind of a digital version of Mossy Oak Brush. I bet it confuses the hell out of coyotes. </div></div>

It sure does look like the same shades as MO brush. I just bought a pack in the MO brush pattern. It blends just about everywhere from broom straw to hardwoods.

+1 for the mossy oak brush. My go to stuff for pigs and deer here in Tx! I will also carry a mesh 3D camo jacket as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apart from my all time fave BFF multicam (works *OK* in most environments, which is more than I can say about any other pattern including my beloved woodland marpat), I am a huge fan of the sitka optifade. I used it for the first time last season and it was absolutely incredible. When hunting here in Virginia and southern Maryland ASAT (<span style="font-style: italic">not to be confused with ATACS</span>) is also absolutely superb. </div></div>

Perhaps because woodland marpat wasn't designed to work in most environments. Hence the "woodland".

The marines are still the only ones with enough sense to know that one does not fit all.

tps_a_tacs_tops.jpg

</div></div>
a-tacs just released a temperate climate pattern as well. looks pretty good

A-tacs looks like one of those faux finishes house wives love to do with a sponge and a couple similar colors.

Martha stewart tactical???

Say what you want, but ATACs and West Texas works better than anything else I've seen, including multicam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AUSCAM all the way...
Best bet to fade it, as the new stuff is way too bright and doesnt blend well. Crawl through some mud and heavy wash it a few times and it goes nice and faded.

35812_1199746012068_1781076846_394244_5427098_n.jpg

Edit.
Though as i say this, the Australian Army is moving to MultiCam... </div></div>

I picked up some Aussie cam stuff from some guys rotating out while in Iraq. Here are some pics of a ruck in the high desert:

025-6.jpg

024-2.jpg

Some of the commercial stuff on the market from places like cabelas is pretty dang effective:

sanitizedCoyoteColt.jpg

I like the Cabelas Outfitter camo. It has worked well for me in the hi country and the rolling hills and sage brush enviornments.

SANY0694.jpg

I've been pleased with my Multi-Cam gear. I've tried it in a number of backgrounds and am surprised how well it blends.

i like multicam, would like to see some in a quieter water proof parka, like a fleece style or something. mine seem to have worked well in the fall and late season hunting in TN and MO.