• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OTM Bottom Metal?

KYyeeter

Did you see the size of that chicken
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
Just curious if anyone is using these? I’ve looked but can’t seem to find much info on them. I know they are OTM’s own brand. How do they hold up with some of the more reputable bottom metals?

I was just in their shop yesterday, and Jay was showing it to me. It looked good and felt good. I did like the flared mag well vs the normal straight wall.

I talked with Joe next door at exodus rifles about them as well. He stated that he has been using a lot of them in his builds.

Thanks,
Jay

Reactions: KYyeeter
I have replaced all my Hawkins Bottom Metal with OTM. I like the flare, mag release, and finishing much better. Also allows the use of ARC, AICS, MDT, Magpul, and AW magazines with ease.

ZBPqWOH.jpeg

Good to know. I just got a foundation MG2 and it has an otm bottom metal in it. I thought it looked really good too. Was curious of others input. Thanks.

I have it in my Foundation Centurian . Like the flared mag well. Mag release can be a bit stiff at times. I like it tho. Fit and finish is top notch.

Last edited:
I did notice the release was pretty stiff. But it is a good fit and finish. I’m liking it so far.

Reactions: NodakBarbarian
@NodakBarbarian Does it fit the m5 hawkins dbm inlet on the centurion?

Yes, but mine won’t feed AW mags.

Wondering how others are faring since I see a few pix in here. Looks like the mag catch in mine presents the mag too low. Pressing up on the mags I have no issues feeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zack_va248
I have replaced all my Hawkins Bottom Metal with OTM. I like the flare, mag release, and finishing much better. Also allows the use of ARC, AICS, MDT, Magpul, and AW magazines with ease.

ZBPqWOH.jpeg
OTM advertises with dbm will not run aw mags. What's your secret? I wonder if they'll come out with a longer mag latch for keeping the mag higher in the action

OTM advertises with dbm will not run aw mags. What's your secret? I wonder if they'll come out with a longer mag latch for keeping the mag higher in the action
Strange. Mine work fine with AW mags. No modifications needed. lol

I could be a fluke though... wife says I am.

Strange. Mine work fine with AW mags. No modifications needed. lol

I could be a fluke though... wife says I am.
Well F it, I'm getting one for my bra build. That thing looks Gucci as F. Love the gloss finish vs the matte of Hawkins/Badger

Doubt it. The fella at OTM is happy with his product offering as-is.
Well I'll just have to run aics mags with kits in my new 6bra build then. My smith has an aw mag with hrd kit. I'll try it and see of it works. Wonder if a guy could braze a lil material to the catch on the mag body and file it down to keep the aw riding high against action.

Well I'll just have to run aics mags with kits in my new 6bra build then. My smith has an aw mag with hrd kit. I'll try it and see of it works. Wonder if a guy could braze a lil material to the catch on the mag body and file it down to keep the aw riding high against action.
An aics with primal rights kit has been absolute money in my dasher. If you can’t run aw then it’s not like the other options are crap. Just an inch longer.

And yes you can weld and file, that’s what people have had to do to mag catches that weren’t perfect for their individual set up for a long time.

That said, working on it to fit one situation may mean it won’t work for any others going forward. I had to file a mag catch to get mags to fit into my rem700 but when I swapped to other actions it was then too low. Just realize that each situation is it’s own.

An aics with primal rights kit has been absolute money in my dasher. If you can’t run aw then it’s not like the other options are crap. Just an inch longer.

And yes you can weld and file, that’s what people have had to do to mag catches that weren’t perfect for their individual set up for a long time.

That said, working on it to fit one situation may mean it won’t work for any others going forward. I had to file a mag catch to get mags to fit into my rem700 but when I swapped to other actions it was then too low. Just realize that each situation is it’s own.
I wouldn't do anything to the bottom metal mag latch, I'd modify a mag or two if need be. I may even try to getting some mdt 6br mags. I just have so many dang different mags already. Accurate, mdt, arc, pmag

Reactions: spife7980
p.jpg

Works great with AICS mag kit/ mdt br mags. Also has a really nice comfortable "pocket" for your trigger finger to rest in when indexed straight. Mag well feeds the mag in smoother and is much more forgiving lining it up than any other bottom metal I've used. Also the "flat" below the trigger offers a really nice spot to index your middle finger if you setup your grip that way.

that’s a really nice dbm. I wish they could offer a flush style hunter that would be compatible with the Hawkins 4 rounds AICS magazine. I love that magwell flare.

Reactions: Zack_va248
Anyone know what length the action screws need to be with this bottom metal for an impact in a foundation MG2?

Same length as the Manners Gen 2 Mini-Chassis.

I can always try and grind, try and grind just thought someone might know an exact.

Got my barreled action last week and was finally able to get a few sent down range yesterday. I was having trouble feeding the last round out mdt and AI mags. Seems they are sitting a hair to low. Is there a way to tune the mag catch on the magazine or the otm bottom metal? Or tune the mag spring or something? I’m still new to all this so where should I start. Other than that I really like the look, the flared mag well and the mag release on this otm.

I was having trouble feeding the last round out mdt and AI mags. Seems they are sitting a hair to low. Is there a way to tune the mag catch on the magazine or the otm bottom metal? Or tune the mag spring or something?

No, but if you call Joe he will help you troubleshoot. His advice will likely be to open up the mag feed lips to present the round higher and ditch the MDT mags, but it could be a number of things.

No, but if you call Joe he will help you troubleshoot. His advice will likely be to open up the mag feed lips to present the round higher and ditch the MDT mags, but it could be a number of things.
When you say Joe, the otm shop?

Got my barreled action last week and was finally able to get a few sent down range yesterday. I was having trouble feeding the last round out mdt and AI mags. Seems they are sitting a hair to low. Is there a way to tune the mag catch on the magazine or the otm bottom metal? Or tune the mag spring or something? I’m still new to all this so where should I start. Other than that I really like the look, the flared mag well and the mag release on this otm.
If the other rounds feed fine, I would suggest this:

Take apart the magazines and stretch the springs using a clamp with the jaws in reverse. A 12 inch clamp works fine.

This is what I use when I install magazine extensions, to make the spring longer:

If the other rounds feed fine, I would suggest this:

Take apart the magazines and stretch the springs using a clamp with the jaws in reverse. A 12 inch clamp works fine.

This is what I use when I install magazine extensions, to make the spring longer:
I’ve cut G10 and put in the bottom of magazines to increase spring tension. Typically it doesn't take much height or thickness so you dont lose any capacity. I havent had much luck stretching springs; especially in Rem 700 BDL hinged floorplates.

I’ve cut G10 and put in the bottom of magazines to increase spring tension. Typically it doesn't take much height or thickness so you dont lose any capacity. I havent had much luck stretching springs; especially in Rem 700 BDL hinged floorplates.
The issue is this is not possible when you have magazine extensions. The best way to increase magazine length is the reverse clamp method. Area419, for example, requires you to stretch springs 1.5 inches from base and mention it as such in their directions.

Got it. I will keep that in mind. I haven’t used magazine extensions on rifles.

ZBPqWOH.jpeg
The website says it’s not compatible with AW magazines. Do you just need a longer mag latch?

Reactions: NiteQwill
I contacted OTM this week about a longer latch (for AW) mags, they said no.